Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Russ Brown or Ralp C Buss  (Read 2442 times)

Glide-man

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
    • CVO2: 2009 Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2003 Serk
Russ Brown or Ralp C Buss
« on: March 18, 2007, 05:01:58 PM »

We had some nice weather here last week. We also suffered our first motorcycle fatality. >:( So I told the wife if anything happens: 1. know I went, doing something I really loved. 2. Hire one of those Biker Lawyers you see in the magazines.  Now I understand the good Lord doesn't want us to sue each other. It just seams this is the only language people understand in regard to us sharing the road with them.  So here is my question, does it matter if the lawyer rides or not?  Will this get better treatment or perhaps a few more bucks. Or are these lawyers  just chasing ambulances?  Has anyone used Russ Brown or Ralph C Buss or anyone " Dedicated to serving the interests of those who ride" or "Motorcycle Attorneys who ride and care." or know somebody who has and did it make a difference? 

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re: Russ Brown or Ralp C Buss
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 05:53:55 PM »

We had some nice weather here last week. We also suffered our first motorcycle fatality. >:( So I told the wife if anything happens: 1. know I went, doing something I really loved. 2. Hire one of those Biker Lawyers you see in the magazines.  Now I understand the good Lord doesn't want us to sue each other. It just seams this is the only language people understand in regard to us sharing the road with them.  So here is my question, does it matter if the lawyer rides or not?  Will this get better treatment or perhaps a few more bucks. Or are these lawyers  just chasing ambulances?  Has anyone used Russ Brown or Ralph C Buss or anyone " Dedicated to serving the interests of those who ride" or "Motorcycle Attorneys who ride and care." or know somebody who has and did it make a difference? 

Don't know how Ralph does w/ recovery for the survivors but know that he's very active up here and does have a staff dedicated to motorcyclists. Ralph represented a friend of mine's daughter. A$$ hole that hit/hurt them blew his brains out when the police knocked on his door so I don't really know how he litigates or how he did w/ the various insurance companies, etc. I've known him for 5 years or so and he's very up to date on the latest laws, especially when it comes to motorcyclists. For what it's worth, he's also active in the CMRO. I hope neither my wife nor myself ever need his services but if either ever has the worst happen, that's who we'll call.

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 07:05:22 PM »

Are these guys Nationwide Lawyers or are they just Case Brokers who like to advertise in Biker rags as opposed to chasing ambulances???????:nixweiss:

twincam

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 08:02:54 PM »

I called Russ Brown, about 7 am one morning concerning another legal matter....... the phone rang got hung up on.... I called back ... and received somekind of lecture about its a crime to harass someone over the phone. told them to kiss my .......... before I ever got to talk to anyone. don't know if they were just having a bad day or what. but, to not know who they were talking to and treat them like this .... they wont get my biss!!!

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 08:30:20 PM »

When I was co-editor of the United Bikers of Maine newsletter many years ago, we looked into the Russ Brown issue. What we found was that the tendency of Mr Brown an his many associates around the country is to get YOU the injured party to settle as quickly as possible so THEY get their fee(s) They are not your friend, they do not care if you cover all of your bills with the settlement , they seek only to settle as fast as possible and collect their money. The insurance carriers know them and love them for their low settlement demands so obviously it all works quickly and that's what they preach in their ads.

just my $0.02

B B

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 05:37:08 PM »

Lee Gaber from PA for Motorcycle related stuff. He specializes in Motor Cycle cases.

Lee has assisted me with a few non injury related cases as well as my personal injury case. First class all the way. :2vrolijk_21:
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Glide-man

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
    • CVO2: 2009 Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2003 Serk
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 08:07:42 PM »

I want to thank all of you for your contributions to my questions.  They are very insightful. :orange:  I guess I had hoped to hear that Lawyers advertising in Biker magazines were in fact a better option than someone who doesn't ride.  A brother who has a common bond  with us and who understands how hard it's getting sharing the road with people in cages.  They appears to be just a better (no) class  of ambulance chasers.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 09:30:19 PM »

I want to thank all of you for your contributions to my questions.  They are very insightful. :orange:  I guess I had hoped to hear that Lawyers advertising in Biker magazines were in fact a better option than someone who doesn't ride.  A brother who has a common bond  with us and who understands how hard it's getting sharing the road with people in cages.  They appears to be just a better (no) class  of ambulance chasers.

Well yes and no to your thoughts above. Russ Brown and others like him operate on a volume basis. None of them actually work on your case. They have associates in every state who do the work on a percentage of total fee basis. My wife works for lawyers. Has her whole life. She's worked for every kind. Criminal, Probate, Corporate, Insurance defense and Personal Injury. In my estimation, some of the most decent ones were ambulance chasers to use your expression. Small one and two lawyer offices where they took cases on a contingency basis and worked their asses off hoping for a big score. So my advice would be to look around for a small general practice office. Sign a straight contingency contract. Be sure the contract is not for contingency plus out of pocket expenses or you could end up owing the lawyer money. In most situations you agree to share the settlement with the lawyer based on how far he goes. 33.3% if you settle out of court. 40% if you settle as a result of court and 50% or more if you win on appeal. Do you homework and you can come out of whatever your situation is OK. Not all lawyers are crooks, just like not all doctors are incompetant.

B B

twojay

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 10:59:07 PM »

Well yes and no to your thoughts above. Russ Brown and others like him operate on a volume basis. None of them actually work on your case. They have associates in every state who do the work on a percentage of total fee basis. My wife works for lawyers. Has her whole life. She's worked for every kind. Criminal, Probate, Corporate, Insurance defense and Personal Injury. In my estimation, some of the most decent ones were ambulance chasers to use your expression. Small one and two lawyer offices where they took cases on a contingency basis and worked their asses off hoping for a big score. So my advice would be to look around for a small general practice office. Sign a straight contingency contract. Be sure the contract is not for contingency plus out of pocket expenses or you could end up owing the lawyer money. In most situations you agree to share the settlement with the lawyer based on how far he goes. 33.3% if you settle out of court. 40% if you settle as a result of court and 50% or more if you win on appeal. Do you homework and you can come out of whatever your situation is OK. Not all lawyers are crooks, just like not all doctors are incompetant.

B B
I hesitated before responding to this post but in our world the possibility of personal injury or death and the resulting hardships on our families is something we should all consider and possibly make contingency plans for in the event that it happens.
I agree with BB. Though I do not know either of the lawyers named, most who advertise nationally do in fact refer their cases out and do not become involved in the actual case and the needs of the family. BB  is also right in that most of the lawyers who handle (and I am not referring to those who refer the cases out) personal injury cases are decent people who care about their clients. If they didn't care they would not be in the personal injury business because the stress level is high, the hours long and every case is a big risk. Unlike the lawyers who are hired by the insurance companies, the personal injury attorney only gets paid if they win. Unlike the insurance attorneys the personal injury attornies have the future of their clients resting on their back and that is an extremely large burden. If they lose lives may be shattered whereas if an insuance attorney loses someone merely writes a check. The one point that I disagree with BB on is hiring an attorney from a general practice. With all respect to BB, imho you really need someone who specializes in personal injury. Many of the general practitioners are not used to going against the best the insurance company can buy and get overwhelmed, outgunned or outsmarted. Years ago I may have agreed with BB on this issue but not now as the laws have become more complicated and the pace, with the addition of computers and the internet, much faster.   You need an attorney who knows insurance as well if not better than  the defense attorney. You also need an attorney who understands " numbers" as personal injury cases are about insurance, money and the law (procedure, evidence, exceptions, etc). All things being equal if you can hire an attorney who rides then  that is what you should do, but do not hesitate to hire one who doesn't  if you are comfortable with him and he has the previously stated requirements. Though expertise in bikes may be necessary,  cases always require that the attorney be or become an expert in various areas. For the attornies that practice strictly personal injury becoming an expert in various fields is second nature. Every personal injury case involves medical issues so one day you may have the need to be an expert in backs or necks or brain injuries or quadraplegia or decubitus ulcers ... and the list goes on. The attorney may need to become an expert on road design and constuction procedures, marine vessels and the job requirements thereon. There could be a requirement that they understand the trucking industry and the related regs, not to mention stopping distances, driver perception,  or many other variables. Just noticed that this post is starting to get rather long, so I will end it for now. However I guess since I have made these statements and someone may, though hopefully not, need a personal injury attorney and wonder whether or not they should heed my advise, I should provide at least some basis for my opinion. I graduated from college with a degree in accounting. Worked 3 years in a CPA firm (obtained my cpa) before going  to work for a regional insurance brokerage firm that also owned a couple of insurance companies. While there I worked as their chief finacial officer being involved in all aspects of the insurance business and while with them also obtained several insurance licenses as well as a series 7  license ( which allowed  me to sale stocks and bonds, someone had to become licensed for  the financial services company my employers were starting). I finally became disgusted with the insurance business where everything was about money and no one considered or cared about the people, went to LSU Law School  and now handle nothing but cases against insurance companies.    I started riding about 2 1/2 years ago as a way to relieve some stress and relax. Now I  ride for only one reason, I love it and everything about it. jj

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.