Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: D&D Police Interceptor vs S&S SPO?  (Read 6558 times)

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
D&D Police Interceptor vs S&S SPO?
« on: April 11, 2007, 04:30:01 PM »

Would like to have a second pair of slip-ons to swap out with my V&H ovals for long trips.  Has anyone heard the D&D Police Interceptors and been able to compare them with the SPOs?

The D&D slipons are $372 at cyclespot.com

I called V&H and they said the Ovals are rated at 98db then called D&D and they said the PI's are rated at 74-74db "at 35 mph driveby".

Here is a link to the page with their dyno numbers and specs...  http://www.danddexhaust.com/catalog/2006/04/40814b.htm#specs

Yea, I know they are not chrome but the price/performance/quietness for use during long trips might be worth it.

Mark

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: D&D Police Interceptor vs S&S SPO?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 08:09:59 PM »

Would like to have a second pair of slip-ons to swap out with my V&H ovals for long trips.  Has anyone heard the D&D Police Interceptors and been able to compare them with the SPOs?

The D&D slipons are $372 at cyclespot.com

I called V&H and they said the Ovals are rated at 98db then called D&D and they said the PI's are rated at 74-74db "at 35 mph driveby".

Here is a link to the page with their dyno numbers and specs...  http://www.danddexhaust.com/catalog/2006/04/40814b.htm#specs

Yea, I know they are not chrome but the price/performance/quietness for use during long trips might be worth it.

Mark

I'll let you know by the end of the week.
I had SPOs but sold them 'cause they dragged on turns. I ordered the Police Interceptors. They were on back order from D&D for the L-O-N-G-E-S-T time. I should get them in a day or so, and I'll do a posting.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 10:49:31 PM »

Ironhorse,

Looking forward to your review -- I'm headed over to Maui in the AM and will check this thread next Friday.

Cheers,

Mark

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 12:40:35 AM »

Ironhorse,

Looking forward to your review -- I'm headed over to Maui in the AM and will check this thread next Friday.

Cheers,

Mark

Where are you going on Maui?
My dad was born and raised in Hana.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 07:03:37 AM »

Ritz-Carlton on the NW side - it is a company trip.  Hope the weather is good as I want to rent an Ultra and do the road to Hana -- heard it is great.

Cheers,

Mark

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 12:41:51 PM »

Ritz-Carlton on the NW side - it is a company trip.  Hope the weather is good as I want to rent an Ultra and do the road to Hana -- heard it is great.

Cheers,

Mark

Don't go by the map and turn around and come back the same way. You can travel completely thru and around, even though the maps show you can't. The road is pretty F'd up and dirt in a lot of places. But it goes thru. You'll get some pretty weird looks if you do it, as only locals know the road goes thru. Looks like "Look at those idiots on a Harley riding thru this chit!" I did it on a Heritage when I was there in '03. Hoist! It was great! 8) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 12:57:00 PM »

I took the road to hana in an old Jeep once. The jeep wasn't in very good shape, BUT the guy I rented it from told me, any problems just call and I'll come get ya. I rode to hana, kept going around to the far side of the island, and right in the most deserted part of the area, it quit. Just out of the rain forests and where the treeless lava rocks start. Everyone says, what now? We just call the guy. AS if a phone would work here. Luckily we got it running and got back home. Yes, go all the way around. It's amazing the difference between that side of Maui and the Hana area.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 03:29:35 PM »

Okay,

First impressions of the D&D Police Interceptors.

When I first saw them, I saw that the insides looked exactly like the FullSac Mufflers. I thought I had bought the same thing I was replacing. I measured the inside core, and it was close enough to be the same dimension as the FullSac. Maybe the D&D core is smaller, but if so, it's not by much. The muffler is thinner than the OEM outsides on the FullSac, so I thought they would be louder. In fact the muffler is so thin, that there are no axel dimples on the insides, making them side specific.

At first start up they sounded a lot like the FullSac, maybe not as deep. Around the neighborhood they sounded reasonable to me. I found them to have more low end response, more torquey grunt, but without a dyno, I can't really say for sure. They still chirped the alarms on sensative cars, but by and large they were not too loud, or as I call it, obnoxiously loud. On the freeway they were very pleasant. Whereas the FullSacs became too loud on long rides, these were not. At reasonable freeway speeds, 50-65, they almost sounded stock. When I cracked it to pass, the sound returned. I would say 80mph with the D&D was equal to 60mph with the FullSac. I really liked the fact that they are narrower than OEM. I took my favorite freeway on ramp, the one that scraped the SPOs, and there were no clearance issues when I leaned it way over.

I need to do a couple of long freeway runs to give them a fair evaluation at various speeds over the long haul.
But for now, I am very happy with them.

Here are some pics.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 12:40:57 AM »

I'll let you know by the end of the week.
I had SPOs but sold them 'cause they dragged on turns. I ordered the Police Interceptors. They were on back order from D&D for the L-O-N-G-E-S-T time. I should get them in a day or so, and I'll do a posting.

Mark

Can't wait for your review.  I was a bit concerned by the yellow tint to the pair of mufflers on the picture on the D&D web site.

Any day on the bike is a good day.

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 01:07:29 PM »

Whoa, 

Just got back from Maui -- Road to Hana 617 turns and 50 x 1 lane bridges in 34 miles....  North side of island awesome .....  volcano to  winery and down... another great ride.

Glad to be on my scoot though....  the rental 07 stock ultra, toe shifter failure 2 hours into 8 hour ride (I never realized how important the heal shifter is and how it will suffice if the toe shifter dies.)  9 hours on stock 06 Road King classic -- my butt was KILLING ME -- our stock seats are so comfortable compared to that torture rack...

Anyway,

Hows the highway sound test of the D&D PI going???  Any change to get a DB meter on it?

Mark

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 12:00:12 AM »

I'm liking the D&D Police Slip ons. They really are quiet at freeway speeds, at least with my 96.5" build. They might be louder with a 103, or 110 engine. I know they are freeflowing, because I could look right through it, yet they do not blow out the ears on a long ride. Around town they sound just perfect for me, quiet enough not to attract attention from the uniforms, yet with enough of a crack when I open them up. I find them very torquey too. I do not plan on doing a db reading.

I think I'm keeping these on for a long while.

Mark

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 01:56:43 PM »

I'm liking the D&D Police Slip ons. They really are quiet at freeway speeds, at least with my 96.5" build. They might be louder with a 103, or 110 engine. I know they are freeflowing, because I could look right through it, yet they do not blow out the ears on a long ride. Around town they sound just perfect for me, quiet enough not to attract attention from the uniforms, yet with enough of a crack when I open them up. I find them very torquey too. I do not plan on doing a db reading.

I think I'm keeping these on for a long while.

Mark
Mark,
Thanks for the report.  Sounds pretty much like what I'm looking for.  Finally picked up by Jester, but ended up in the hospital the next day.  Will be OOC for a time, but look forward to more from you after you've had a bit more time for longer rides.
The finish looked great on the D&Ds - that's alongside a stock HD pipe, right?
Thanks again,
Tony

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 12:58:56 AM »

The finish looked great on the D&Ds - that's alongside a stock HD pipe, right?

Tony,

Yes, they are along side my old set of FullSacs, OEM out side, FullSac inside.
So far I am very pleased with them.

Mark

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 08:15:04 AM »

Tony,

Yes, they are along side my old set of FullSacs, OEM out side, FullSac inside.
So far I am very pleased with them.

Mark
Thanks, Mark. 
Tony

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 10:02:11 PM »

Got mine in today and put them on.

Big difference over the V&H Ovals.   They are quiet until you get on it then they sound just like the V&H.   I was amazed at how quiet they are at cruising speeds (75 mph) --- I can hear my Hog Tunes perfectly now including the rear speakers.

Thanks for the recommendation Ironhorse!

Mark

PS  I can also hear the top end noises clearer too!   :D

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 12:32:08 AM »

I can also hear the top end noises clearer too!

So true.
Upon starting and ridng, the first thing I said to myself is, "Whats that noise in the engine?", Hell it WAS the engine!
I'm keeping these for a long while.

Mark

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 10:26:50 AM »

Well, after 1800 miles these mufflers sound just as loud as my V&H Ovals when you are cruising down the highway....

They are quieter when you start up and when you ease up on the gas.

Chalk this up to OCD ----- I put my V&H back on and I put the D&D on ebay....

Mark

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2007, 10:47:18 AM »

Got mine in today and put them on.

Big difference over the V&H Ovals.   They are quiet until you get on it then they sound just like the V&H.   I was amazed at how quiet they are at cruising speeds (75 mph) --- I can hear my Hog Tunes perfectly now including the rear speakers.

Thanks for the recommendation Ironhorse!

Mark

PS  I can also hear the top end noises clearer too!   :D

Wow, you did 1,800 miles in a week?  I was considering doing this until your latest post.  I'd like to add a rumble but not a load noise.  Are they too loud?  Perhaps I'll consider the SE slip ons.  My brother has them and they sound nice.
Jim :cherry:
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007, 10:59:36 AM »

Yep.  And it was a fun week too!   :orange:

I think they sound the same as the V&H at hiway speed after the burn in period and I like the way the V&H look....

Mark

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007, 12:58:51 PM »

Yep.  And it was a fun week too!   :orange:

I think they sound the same as the V&H at hiway speed after the burn in period and I like the way the V&H look....

Mark

Can't beat the look of those Ovals IMHO. ;)
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 21 queries.