Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Definitive 5 oil filter on a bagger, anyone have one?  (Read 6406 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Definitive 5 oil filter on a bagger, anyone have one?
« on: June 13, 2007, 01:52:15 AM »

Have finally used up my personal shelf stock of spin on filters.  So will be either ordering more right away or considering some alternative.

I would love an alternative that avoids the mess of spilled oil on the motor mount and in the oil cooler.  The various options with the stainless steel reusable media don't fit that spec as they still separate at the filter base.  I'm also not personally sold on the filter media as a long term fitration option, but that's not really part of the current consideration.

The only option I've found that would drain on the "end," away from the motor, is this "Definitive 5" product from Harley.  I actually have one of things at the shop that was won as a door prize several months ago.  Never installed it though as I'm not sanguine the end cap will be at all easily removeable with shifter and lowers and other bits in the way.

Has anyone done this?  If so how easy is it to service the unit with the rest of the bike in the way.  Installed pictures would be great.  But any description of someone's experience in use would be appreciated.

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
Re: Definitive 5 oil filter on a bagger, anyone have one?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 06:34:15 AM »

I was told they wouldn't fit my bike due to the premium oil cooler.  I will probably go with the K & P permanent one.  I would be curious if the Definitive one fits with the oil cooler.  I liked the design as well.
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 09:20:47 AM »

Has anyone ever tried doing something like drilling a drain hole in the bottom and an air hole in the top to let the filter drain? I haven't, but I think I may try that next time. Sure would be a cleaner job if the filter was empty.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 10:56:38 AM »

Has anyone ever tried doing something like drilling a drain hole in the bottom and an air hole in the top to let the filter drain? I haven't, but I think I may try that next time. Sure would be a cleaner job if the filter was empty.

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Excellent idea!

Easier to catch oil at the "front" of the filter, too.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 11:05:56 AM »

Yes I have done the hole in filter process. It work rather well. I take a phillips scewdriver and a hammer an punch a hole on the bottom and the top. I use a quart oil bottle that I split in half long ways then cut the bottom off. Then slde oil bottle under filter before punching holes. The oil bottle catches all the oil.
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 11:14:15 AM »

Yes I have done the hole in filter process. It work rather well. I take a phillips scewdriver and a hammer an punch a hole on the bottom and the top. I use a quart oil bottle that I split in half long ways then cut the bottom off. Then slde oil bottle under filter before punching holes. The oil bottle catches all the oil.

The one cautionary note I'll toss out there is about the hammering issue. I would have a concern that too much hammering may lead to oil filter mount damage. I would reccomend using a center, or prick, punch to dimple the filter and then drill the holes. Whacking away at a #2 or #3 phillips would scare the crap out of me.

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 11:22:54 AM »

Point well taken. Will switch to drilling. Thanks
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 11:36:14 AM »

The one cautionary note I'll toss out there is about the hammering issue. I would have a concern that too much hammering may lead to oil filter mount damage. I would reccomend using a center, or prick, punch to dimple the filter and then drill the holes. Whacking away at a #2 or #3 phillips would scare the crap out of me.

Have done that Chuck.  And it is better.  Doesn't help at all if you've got to do an oil change on the road.  But it's a help when you've got the opportunity to do it.

Having held the one I got at the open house up against the bike I'm sure it'll fit with our oil coolers.  Though I'm not sure about using it with the coolers on the new models.

I'm just not sure how serviceable the end cap will be with the shifter, lowers, and floorboards in the way.  Just hoping someone had already been there and done that to see if using it might be making a simple (albeit messy) job harder.

Next oil change will likely give it a try.  Figure it all out then.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 01:07:05 PM »

Don, if anyone can figure it out, you can.  If you hadn't have won it, you probably wouldn't even be doing it.  Whether it be cycle, car, truck, etc, you won't see many of the spinon filters any more.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 03:41:24 PM »

THERE's an idea I like! THAt will work. The KISS method, KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 04:58:23 PM »

Chief,

I haven't tried that yet on the bike, but plan to on the next filter change.  I change the oil on momma's front wheel drive SUV, and the filter on that sucker is almost as big a pain as the one on our Harley's.  It sits on a 50° angle pointing forward and nearly touching the air deflector mounted to the bottom of the radiator.  My first attempt at changing it resulted in oil down the arm and puddled on the floor (miscalculated slightly on the drain pan location).  Since that time, I've used an old scratch awl to poke a hole in the filter, letting it drain while the crankcase drains.  Once I remove the filter, enough oil has drained that I don't get the big flood when I crack it loose.  No more oil down the arm or on the floor.  I'm thinking the same technique could work with the bike.  BTW - you don't need two holes, one is sufficient.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 11:15:46 AM »

Chief,

I haven't tried that yet on the bike, but plan to on the next filter change.  I change the oil on momma's front wheel drive SUV, and the filter on that sucker is almost as big a pain as the one on our Harley's.  It sits on a 50° angle pointing forward and nearly touching the air deflector mounted to the bottom of the radiator.  My first attempt at changing it resulted in oil down the arm and puddled on the floor (miscalculated slightly on the drain pan location).  Since that time, I've used an old scratch awl to poke a hole in the filter, letting it drain while the crankcase drains.  Once I remove the filter, enough oil has drained that I don't get the big flood when I crack it loose.  No more oil down the arm or on the floor.  I'm thinking the same technique could work with the bike.  BTW - you don't need two holes, one is sufficient.

Jerry

Scratch Awl was my first thought here too, Jerry.  This is something worth trying and I plan on doing so this weekend when I drain my crankcase.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

gwright

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 10:07:28 AM »

I might have a solution.  I first drain the oil on the jiffy stand. I then put the bike on my sears yellow jack, then I remove the oil filter.  I have very little oil drip out.  This method works great for me.  I have a oil cooler on the bike so the room around the filter is limited.  I own a '06 Ultra Classic.

Greg

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 11:17:51 PM »

Was much easier on the older bikes, didn't have filters.  :2vrolijk_21:

And when I put filters on my Sporty and Low Rider I mounted them vertical in front of the rear wheel, no mess, just drop the filter.

:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

SEEG Geezer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 12:02:13 AM »

You guys are a wealth of knowledge..........

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 21 queries.