Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Thinking of changing cam...  (Read 6216 times)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Thinking of changing cam...
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2007, 11:22:32 PM »

Tommy,

Don't take that hijack stuff from Hoist.   It just wasn't right.   Did you decide which cam your going to try in that 95" bike yet?

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
  • Non Riding for the moment!!
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2007, 12:13:02 AM »

Harry, tommy and I did talk to a couple of people about the problem and they did say to mess with the timing alittle (2-3 degrees) and that would help alot, but they also mentioned the 260-cams to!! So Tommy will still have to investigate for awhile :confused5: :confused5:
 Everyone has a differant opinion about what to do,  :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

SirMichael                               

« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 12:17:41 AM by SirMichael103 »

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2007, 07:57:54 PM »

there is one other consideration that hasn't been mentioned.  the heads could have no velocity until higher  rpm ranges and If this is true changing the cam won't help.  only thing that may help is a smaller throttle body to lower the volume and icrease the velocity.

again this is just another avenue to explore. 
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

vagabond6542

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2007, 11:21:50 PM »

Read this thread.
Have a question;
Was there ever a vacuum reading done at the Throttle body?
That is a good place to start for a diagnosis of the "low end launch".
Ideally, 10 inches of mercury vacuum would give an idea if the mixture is nominal.
Anything else would mean rich or lean.  Then look at if timing or mixture is the culprit.
Just a thought.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 12:14:10 PM by vagabond6542 »

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2007, 12:30:33 AM »

SirMichael,

If this were my bike I would be leaning out the mixture to say something around 14.0 - 14.2 from 2-15/20 percent throttle from 1250-3000 rpm and raising the timing a few points to see if I could improve the launch of the bike.  I would try this before moving on to other considerations as this is the least costly of those decisions.

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2007, 01:23:42 AM »

We will have to talk to the tuner and mention all that to him, alot of that I surely don't know about, hopefully he should!! :confused5: :confused5:

Thanks,
                                                 SirMichael

tommyo

• Throttles on the right!
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2007, 09:56:19 PM »

Who the hell is this SirMichael dude?

LOL!!
When in doubt... GAS it!!!

Starting over!!

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2007, 10:02:06 PM »

TommyO,

Actually thought he was a friend of your's helping out with your bike to be honest.   I was just putting the info's out there.   I also discussed your issues with Wes Brown at Cycle Rama.   He said you could give him a call, but what we were discussing was a quicker closing intake cam, but not overly quick due to your compression.   He thought the 585 should be workable unless your flow on the heads has no velocity and if that is the case it might be just that the heads need to be relooked at. 

I would try the timing suggestions I gave you above and give him a call, he is a good sounding board to talk to and he is aware of your issue since I was talking to him this weekend.

-harry

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2007, 10:34:13 PM »

Yah, I just felt bad for this TommyO guy, so just thought I would pretend to be his friend for a minute so he would fell better!! :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
 Actually, Tommy is the one who kind of got me into these "2-wheeled never ending money pits" :drink: :drink:   Everytime we talk about something, I endup spending more money on my Bike. I keep saying that I am done, but he keeps talking me into something else  :confused5: :confused5: :confused5:
  He should definitly be a salesman  ;D ;D ;D ;D

SirMichael :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2007, 12:48:43 AM »

Yah, I just felt bad for this TommyO guy, so just thought I would pretend to be his friend for a minute so he would fell better!! :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
 Actually, Tommy is the one who kind of got me into these "2-wheeled never ending money pits" :drink: :drink:   Everytime we talk about something, I endup spending more money on my Bike. I keep saying that I am done, but he keeps talking me into something else  :confused5: :confused5: :confused5:
  He should definitly be a salesman  ;D ;D ;D ;D

SirMichael :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

That's friggin' hilarious. tommyo's doing his thing, spendin' a few buck to spruce up his scoot, havin' a few issues, making progress, and askin' questions. But you don't really know him and pretend you do and then do what he does too, issues and all? :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: What the hell am I missing here? :confused5: You sounded like he was your bro! Am I on Candid Camera? I'm smilin' just in case! ;D

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

tommyo

• Throttles on the right!
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2007, 07:10:07 AM »

Hoist...

He is my boy! Just making lite of things. We ride together a lot. He has more time than I do to be on here so he is asking questions that we talk about during the week. I talk about things... and he just does them. Going to try some timing tweeking. Thanks Unbalanced.

Tommy O
When in doubt... GAS it!!!

Starting over!!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2007, 08:19:51 AM »

Hoist...

He is my boy! Just making lite of things. We ride together a lot. He has more time than I do to be on here so he is asking questions that we talk about during the week. I talk about things... and he just does them. Going to try some timing tweeking. Thanks Unbalanced.

Tommy O

Well, you guys got me on this one! ;D Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2007, 08:23:04 AM »

Well, you guys got me on this one! ;D Hoist! 8)

That's an accomplishment when you get one on Hoist!
Congrats!

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

hogasm

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2007, 10:01:18 AM »

Baker Transmissions just came out with two new transmission pulleys to change your gear ratio on 2007 FL's.  One changes it a little more than the other.  Seems like an efficient way to get the result, but it does require a new H-D drive belt...they tell you which one is needed.  A buddy of mine has one ordered, so I should know how it works in a few weeks.  Here's a link to the info. on Baker's website:
http://www.bakerdrivetrain.com/drivetrainupgrades/transmission-pulleys.htm#hdCruiseDrive

What belt is he going to run. Harley only makes a 139 tooth and nothing smaller till a 134. I went the route that your friend is going but the belt situation created too many problems that I went back to the origional setup.

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2007, 08:55:04 PM »

Just havin fun Hoist :bananarock: :bananarock:, Tommy is the one who got me in this Chat room. He was telling me that I can learn alot from you guys and you know what they say, you can never learn to much, right  :biggthumpup: :biggthumpup:
  After listening to all of you guys, I definitly have alot to learn, so you guys keep talking and Tommy will keep me spending money   :bigok: :bigok:

Later :vrolijk17:

SirMichael
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 09:01:52 PM by SirMichael103 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 21 queries.