Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 201

Author Topic: Do you carry?  (Read 592969 times)

SG Racer

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG2, Black Diamond/ Inferno Orange
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG, Cherry
Re: Any choice on new guns
« Reply #2070 on: December 14, 2012, 10:59:39 PM »

Double action S &W .38 special...Never jams, fit her small palm, knock down power, very concealable.  As good as it gets.
I bought my wife one of these also. It is a great gun. The one I have is a plus p. She does not like it that well though. I bought her a Bersa Thunder 380 a few years ago and she loves it. I carry the 38 sometimes myself. I have some FBI friends and they love S&W revolvers still. Never jam, always fires. Their Special operators still carry them.
 A side note about the light weight ones, they are very accurate but kick hard. Not something you want to shoot a lot.
 I agree it is still one of the best, IMHO.
D&D Fat Cat W/Ghost pipe
Custom leather seat
12" Yaffe Monkey Bagger Bars
SEPST
93Hp, 116Tq

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #2071 on: December 14, 2012, 11:04:32 PM »

I encourage you to check out the Glock Model 36, It is a very compact .45 that is about the size of many .380s with much more knockdown power. It also has a gentle recoil due to having two recoil springs and a polymer frame. It also has a very durable finish that won't rust or show wear easily. Being black it is easy to conceal and doesn't draw attention.
The Glock Model .36 is also very accurate out of the box and can handle many bullet types and load weights. The .45 is a known man stopper in any configuration from ball ammo to various hollow points.
As others have said practice a lot with one weapon that you carry and try to always carry it in the same spot and not all over your body so you will make movements smoothly and out of instinct, that way you don't telegraph your intentions groping around trying to figure out where the weapon is today etc.

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #2072 on: December 15, 2012, 12:18:30 AM »

Gotta agree with those that say the caliber is far less important than the ability to effectivly employ the weapon and put rounds on target. With the ammo available today, a few well placed round will do the job. If the gun is too large to carry, no fun to shoot, or the ammo is too expensive to fire enough rounds to get comfortable with it, chances are you will either not have it with you when you need it or not be able to put rounds on target under stress.

While it looks great in the movies to pull out a Desert Eagle and watch everyone run, in real life, I'd rather have a .380 that I know I can comfortably carry all the time.

ffltjeff

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #2073 on: December 15, 2012, 04:47:31 AM »

Just picked up a Kimber Solo for my wife, nice easy carry 9mm
2013 FLHTCUSE8
V&H Power Duals, V&H Monster Ovals, SERT
Progressive 444 shocks, Progressive Cartridge Fork Kit
Windsplitter windshield

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2074 on: December 15, 2012, 08:33:47 AM »

Look at the Ruger LCR in 38 its light easy to carry and has a recoil grip  great for a lady.... my wife carries one....

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #2075 on: December 15, 2012, 09:45:11 AM »

This is the gun I carry.  The Kimber custom 45  ::)

Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Henrycm

• Full CVO Member
    • Sunny Spirits
Re: Re: Re: Any choice on new guns
« Reply #2076 on: December 15, 2012, 10:19:54 AM »

Sig 238 in .380. Just awesome!

I second this choice

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #2077 on: December 15, 2012, 10:23:52 AM »

For Carry!  The new S & W Shield in 9MM is an awesome gun.  I have an H & K P30 that I love, but its heavy and big....great gun.  I'm lovin the Shield and it's not quite broken in yet, I've only fired about 300 rounds through it so far.
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2078 on: December 15, 2012, 11:22:41 AM »

Another vote for the Sig P238.  They also now have a Sig P938 (9mm).  The 238 is, IMO, the perfect carry gun and is a dream to shoot.  Not a single glitch in several hundred rounds shot through it.  Easy to control, accurate as hell, and with the right round, will do sufficient damage to a bad guy.  I haven't shot the 938 or even seen one, but it is just slightly larger.  They are not cheap, but it's a quality piece if you like the 1911 "style".
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Advise please (Pistol for wife)
« Reply #2079 on: December 15, 2012, 11:53:22 AM »

All,
   With all of this craziness going on these days, I'm in the market for a little protection for Suzy. As many of you know I travel quite a bit, and there have been break In's in my neighborhood.  She has small hands and is about 125 lbs, any suggestions or help is appreciated.  I'm thinking a small frame 9mm or a .380
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

Mrs Rooster

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rooster May Crow But The Hen Delivers The Goods!!
Re: Advise please (Pistol for wife)
« Reply #2080 on: December 15, 2012, 11:58:15 AM »

Matt take Suzy to a range and let her try different ones and see what feels good in her hands. Okay keep your minds out of the gutter  ;D
We are never lost sometimes it just takes longer to get there.

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2081 on: December 15, 2012, 12:37:40 PM »

Thanks all,
   There are several indoor ranges here that will let you test fire anything.  My bro-in-law was a range instructor in th USMC for several years (G.SGT Hank) I call him Dirty Hanky, he's a better shot than Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon.....no chit (His Colt .45 ACP is like part of him).  I'm not looking for her to carry, just something in the night stand that she can use to protect herself when I'm not here. I can surely fend off any threat when I'm home, but my .40 and 9mm are just too big and heavy for my little baby.
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

ffltjeff

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #2082 on: December 15, 2012, 02:34:08 PM »

Here is a picture of the Kimber Solo it is the stainless gun the other is my Glock  40 cal.  You can't beat Glock for dependability not a pretty gun but will never let you down. Kimber is small easy to conceal.  I just got the Kimber and have not fired any rounds through it yet, hopefully get to the range later today.
2013 FLHTCUSE8
V&H Power Duals, V&H Monster Ovals, SERT
Progressive 444 shocks, Progressive Cartridge Fork Kit
Windsplitter windshield

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: Advise please (Pistol for wife)
« Reply #2083 on: December 15, 2012, 02:43:26 PM »

Matt take Suzy to a range and let her try different ones and see what feels good in her hands. Okay keep your minds out of the gutter  ;D

I agree with above idea. Let the person who is going to use it pick it out after trying it and practicing at the range.
I have learned over the years that a hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44 but if all things are equal hit the suspect with the largest thing you can accurately hit with. Most shooting incidences only involve 2 or three shots so very large capacity guns are not statistically needed and just increase bulk and weight which you wife has trouble handling from your comments. A .380 is just a shortened lower power .9mm so don't expect much change except you need to be careful of which bullet weight and design you need to get best stopping power. You need to combine accuracy with stopping power to get best results. Remember that if you place the shot on target but the round has low velocity or small weight and penetration then it takes longer to stop the intruder. Which then gives them longer time to assault you.
It sound strange at first but I have found that the Glock 45 is very easy to train someone on and it has a gentle push as opposed to a sharp shove back like a .40 or 9mm, I think it's because the other calibers are high velocity and the 45 is lower velocity as well as the gun's design.
I have females in their 20's shooting the Glock as well as guys in their 80s and they love it.
Good luck choosing and I hope she finds a gun she is comfortable with yet never has to use it for self defense!

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2084 on: December 15, 2012, 02:54:03 PM »

VA,
   Thanks for the insight, I have several that I enjoy shooting but Suzy is new to the trade, I just want her to be happy with what we get her. Again, there is no chance of her trying to carry, but I do travel and there has been strange crap going on in my hood.  I'm thinking about getting the Horsemen and Angels around again to put an end to this bullchit.
As a patchholder for 10+ years, It's time to stop this chit.

_Beags
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 201

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 22 queries.