Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Buttonfly, Un-Zipping as a Winter Project  (Read 4610 times)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: Buttonfly, Un-Zipping as a Winter Project
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 10:51:57 PM »

That's ok Chip.  I was at a point where wasn't doing much with mine when you had to be chasing the throttle body and other tuning issues and doing some more work to the Thunder Mountain bike when it was new.  Then I got to sit back with a cold one and think "man I'm glad I'm not fighting a project right now."

By the time this one gets done you may be in the middle of whatever you're going to do to the Road Glide.  So while you get to relax a bit now then I'll get to enjoy yours or someone else's efforts.

Truth be told I don't mind doing this again.  Primarily because it's not as if there's a lot of choice in the matter.  I love the bike and have no plans to get rid of it.  So if I'm keeping it I need to make it right.  No more drama than that in the decision. 

It would've been nice if Zippers hadn't been a boondoogle expense to a company that had their head in a wrong and dark place for this job.  But it is what it is.  And in a few months it'll better.  Then it'll be spring.  The bike will be great again.  And I'll only be focusing on the white lines before me :2vrolijk_21: .

Don

Don't laugh when you read my next line.
Someone PMd me today that Zippers had a Thundermax conversion kit to get rid of the Marelli system.
No offense to anybody but when someone hangs a carrot out in front of me the first thing I do is to make sure it's not a rotten one.
What's that saying?,,,,, something about dancing with the devil you know than,,,,,,,?

8)

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 10:54:15 PM »

Brian, one thing to keep in your mind if you consider diamond cutting. 

First off is that it seems to never look bad.  In the right light especially it's always an outstanding look.

Since falling in lust with the idea myself I've looked at a LOT of them.  The one thing that is universal is that the impact of the diamond cutting is greater when it's done against a darker background.  The place where it stands out least, and where you have to look for it to find it most, is against plain silver backgrounds.

If you're considering some color work at the same time you might be even happier with the result.  It's never bad.  Diamond cutting looks great, no matter what.  But it really pops best against a complementary background darker than the Harley silver.

Yeah, you are probably right about that, but I like the silver motor.  I just figured if the heads and cylinders come off to fix the oil blow-by I've got (I think only in the rear cylinder, though), then they ain't going back on without being diamond cut, first.

We'll see . . . I can dream, can't I? ;D

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 11:00:13 PM »

Don

Don't laugh when you read my next line.
Someone PMd me today that Zippers had a Thundermax conversion kit to get rid of the Marelli system.
No offense to anybody but when someone hangs a carrot out in front of me the first thing I do is to make sure it's not a rotten one.
What's that saying?,,,,, something about dancing with the devil you know than,,,,,,,?

8)

Ok, swallow first so you don't choke, but yeah, they do; and it doesn't seem a bad option if one had M&M problems. 

Personally I never had bad problem with the M&M bikes.  Probably because they both had Power Commanders and John Golden tuned them.  End of story.

I still have no real problem with the Thundermax itself.  The autotune addition is wrong as often as it is right when it "tunes."  But he ECM itself actually has some nice capabilities and appears very very competent.  Trouble is no one can tune the damn thing.  And if you can't get it dialed in to your bike it does you no good.

Zippers map library is no better than a drunken dart throw for accuracy.  Sometimes a guy will get lucky.  But most of the time.....  Not near what it should be.  And the company itself is one step above self aspirated warm beer vomit if you need truly effective support that is not something that is brain dead simple.

A T-Max for a Marelli box?  If I knew I had a tuner within range; sure.  Without that it's the same as any other T-Max question.  If you can't tune it be concerned.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 11:02:00 PM »

Yeah, you are probably right about that, but I like the silver motor.  I just figured if the heads and cylinders come off to fix the oil blow-by I've got (I think only in the rear cylinder, though), then they ain't going back on without being diamond cut, first.

We'll see . . . I can dream, can't I? ;D

It'll look good.  No matter what else is done it'll look good :2vrolijk_21: .

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2007, 02:10:57 AM »

Sounds like it going to be a much better turn out this time aroud Don. Have you thought about the Daytoa TCFI? I recently did one ad was very pleased with the results. A bit quirky to get going but once its dialed in it works very well. The auto tune on it is really cool as well. I am seriously sonsidering one for my own bike.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2007, 06:35:44 AM »

Sounds like it going to be a much better turn out this time aroud Don. Have you thought about the Daytoa TCFI? I recently did one ad was very pleased with the results. A bit quirky to get going but once its dialed in it works very well. The auto tune on it is really cool as well. I am seriously sonsidering one for my own bike.

Thanks Jim.  I've got their Twin Scan II tool for basic troubleshooting and the other things it can do.  For the actual tune though it's hard to beat being only 10 minutes from John Golden's place.  No matter how much time I'd put in or how good I'd eventually get it I can't believe I'd ever get it where he could.  If I didn't have John here right in my own backyard other options would be on the table.  Having strayed before I've learned again that if it ain't broke there's no reason to fix it.

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2007, 07:23:08 AM »

Ok, swallow first so you don't choke, but yeah, they do; and it doesn't seem a bad option if one had M&M problems. 

Personally I never had bad problem with the M&M bikes.  Probably because they both had Power Commanders and John Golden tuned them.  End of story.

I still have no real problem with the Thundermax itself.  The autotune addition is wrong as often as it is right when it "tunes."  But he ECM itself actually has some nice capabilities and appears very very competent.  Trouble is no one can tune the damn thing.  And if you can't get it dialed in to your bike it does you no good.

Zippers map library is no better than a drunken dart throw for accuracy.  Sometimes a guy will get lucky.  But most of the time.....  Not near what it should be.  And the company itself is one step above self aspirated warm beer vomit if you need truly effective support that is not something that is brain dead simple.

A T-Max for a Marelli box?  If I knew I had a tuner within range; sure.  Without that it's the same as any other T-Max question.  If you can't tune it be concerned.

http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l149/claydbal/shop%20bike/?action=view&current=headwork006.flv

note the data cable connected to the thundermax, this was upon fire-up and new map loaded after installing worked heads yesterday.

heres another , check it out.
http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l149/claydbal/shop%20bike/?action=view&current=headwork007.flv

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2007, 07:52:36 AM »

Dennis

The Tmax is a consideration but with you a 1000 miles away and not knowing of anyone in this area that can deal with it I am scared to make that change. The parts may be fine but the lack of a tuner to make it right puts the brakes on the deal.

S
  /
    B

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2007, 08:45:16 AM »

Dennis

The Tmax is a consideration but with you a 1000 miles away and not knowing of anyone in this area that can deal with it I am scared to make that change. The parts may be fine but the lack of a tuner to make it right puts the brakes on the deal.

S
  /
    B

understood. for most builds, the autotune works great. if you are looking for absolute best dyno numbers, it aint happening without manipulating the values. for the better builds, you would probably spend a few hrs on the dyno.

where the autotune really shines as a genuine plug and play unit is for mild builds with drivability as foremost concern. the videos were to show how easy it is to just load a map and go------allow it some miles to autotune and just ride.

most (almost all) problem areas i see are with centerfold pipes, builds with compression/camshaft incompatability, or the most common-------someone with a case of tinkeritis!

on most marrelli bikes, i say go with carb and compufire ignition controller and save lots of headaches. there is also the pegasus self contained efi unit, and i think rb racing offers a unit as well, but i am ignorant to these.

hogasm

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2007, 01:29:32 PM »

Dennis

S
  /
    B

Joes Cycle Repair in Albany NY knows his stuff about the T Max. He tuned Petes bike with one.

Of course Albany is not quite 1000 miles from Matthews.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2007, 05:22:51 PM »

Just had a sudden onset urinary descending bipedal moment (got so excited I peed down both legs).  Got the call from Diamon Heads that all the parts were done and had been shipped to me.

Assuming they are actually all done without error or omission it will have all turned around relatively quickly compared to last time.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2007, 10:44:32 PM »

Good news to hear Don.  I somehow missed this thread when 1st posted in early November.  Now I know why the "who's the a**hole"   thread was started.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2007, 10:46:09 PM »

Good news to hear Don.  I somehow missed this thread when 1st posted in early November.  Now I know why the "who's the a**hole"   thread was started.

That's the combination exactly Bob.  Starting this one set me up for the other one.  I felt the love... :2vrolijk_21:

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2007, 12:23:10 AM »

Just had a sudden onset urinary descending bipedal moment (got so excited I peed down both legs).  Got the call from Diamon Heads that all the parts were done and had been shipped to me.

Assuming they are actually all done without error or omission it will have all turned around relatively quickly compared to last time.

Ugh! :puke:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=18578.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2007, 01:05:12 AM »

Ugh! :puke:

Yeap.  It's not like I really expected it all to be that easy....

Would've been nice though.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 22 queries.