Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Chrome Peeling from FLHRSE3 wheel  (Read 8780 times)

harleydawg57

• Full CVO Member
  • "Raring to go-- but can't go for raring!!"

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG orange/black
Re: Chrome Peeling from FLHRSE3 wheel
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 03:03:41 PM »

I somehow got my wheels replaced under my HD extended warranty for peeling chrome.
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
HD six speed-True Duals with Samson slip ons- S & S gear drive cams with oiling fuel pump-power commander-Kuyakyn rear adjustable rider pegs-HD tuner-Hawg-Wired amp and speakers w/Sony Tuner xm sat radio-Boogey Lights

jawarford1

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 06:14:17 PM »

Just got done washing my 04 SEEG and found that both from and rear Detonator wheels have chrome peeling.  I purchased the bike in November with only 3,000 miles on it, it was the owner of the dealer's personal bike, enclosed trailered home never seen salt.  When did Harley replace the wheels on your SEEG ?  And how big of a problem was it to get them to do it ?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 06:19:38 PM »

Just got done washing my 04 SEEG and found that both from and rear Detonator wheels have chrome peeling.  I purchased the bike in November with only 3,000 miles on it, it was the owner of the dealer's personal bike, enclosed trailered home never seen salt.  When did Harley replace the wheels on your SEEG ?  And how big of a problem was it to get them to do it ?

Most that had the problems w/chrome peeling had them replaced within the two year MoCo warranty. Since your bike was owned by the dealer and has low mileage I'd contact him to see if he can pull some strings and get them covered. :nixweiss:  Good luck.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Sidecut

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2008, 03:58:22 PM »

First I will tell you to go to Finishing.com/faqs/chrome.html for anything about chrome plating. I was told by them that it is virtually always a manufacturing defect due to insufficient adhesion of the plating to the substrate.Although exposure conditions can certainly harm chrome, they don't make it peel.It can be very difficult for the plating shop to get good adhesion on somethings(specifically on aluminum wheels)because they are not pure aluminum, but if they can't do it they shouldn't sell it.If parts are peeling, you should complain and should not be deterred by nonsense about chemicals in your garage, how frequently you wash, etc. That said I have a 04SEEG that started blistering and peeling chrome 1month after I bought it. The 1st year they replaced almost $3000 in aluminum parts. 1yr 3mon later most of the replacement parts started peeling again along with more of the original parts. They said sorry about your luck your warranty is up. After complaining to MoCo they said they would replace after I paid $100 administration fee. Most are peeling again. We are still fighting about it.PS. No steel parts are peeling,sounds to me like an aluminum problem.

freddycarraway

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 01:59:19 PM »

Yes I have the same problem with the front wheel on my FLSTN dealer said bring it in take a week they will replace if deemed faulty

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2008, 05:18:31 PM »

Just taken a look at mine and it looks as though I'm back to the dealer next Saturday, and just when the weather is looking better.

freddycarraway

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2008, 12:12:42 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I'll go ahead and Hi-jack my own thread. Has anyone seen the metal flake in the flames peel?

Clickable
   Did you use a pressure washer on your bike???
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.