Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Low Speed Wobble  (Read 18862 times)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
Re: Low Speed Wobble
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2008, 08:00:22 PM »

Glad to hear the wobble is solved. A few years back I put a new set of tires on and ended up with a wobble at 45-55. Had front tire rebalanced, still had the wobble, went to another Hd shop and had them check, this time agreed tire had a slight defect put on new tire and wobble gone. Sure can mess with your head until solved though.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2008, 08:33:29 PM »

Glad to hear the wobble is solved. A few years back I put a new set of tires on and ended up with a wobble at 45-55. Had front tire rebalanced, still had the wobble, went to another Hd shop and had them check, this time agreed tire had a slight defect put on new tire and wobble gone. Sure can mess with your head until solved though.
Hindsight being 20/20 I should have stuck to my guns and told them to replace the tire and if that did not solve the problem then I would pay for it.  Problem arose immediately after first tire installed so I felt all along that was the problem.  Now I've got a new front tire and an alignment I really did not need and a second rear tire that I did need.  Live and learn.  Just glad it is fixed.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2008, 09:00:53 PM »

Hindsight being 20/20 I should have stuck to my guns and told them to replace the tire and if that did not solve the problem then I would pay for it.  Problem arose immediately after first tire installed so I felt all along that was the problem.  Now I've got a new front tire and an alignment I really did not need and a second rear tire that I did need.  Live and learn.  Just glad it is fixed.
:2vrolijk_21:

Glad you got it fixed Jerry. Go get 'em. :)

:indian_chief:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2008, 09:39:06 PM »

Jerry...go after them about the rear tire...it was obviously defective.  The cupping on the front should not be a problem any longer after the Traxxion front end, if you're running the right air pressure, which I'm certain you are.  Once a wear pattern is established on a tire, you cannot reverse it, so the cupping problem may have started prior to the Traxxon upgrade.  Or, the front tire was not properly balanced from the get go.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2008, 10:46:52 PM »

Jerry...go after them about the rear tire...it was obviously defective.  The cupping on the front should not be a problem any longer after the Traxxion front end, if you're running the right air pressure, which I'm certain you are.  Once a wear pattern is established on a tire, you cannot reverse it, so the cupping problem may have started prior to the Traxxon upgrade.  Or, the front tire was not properly balanced from the get go.
The cupping the tech showed me after he switched the tire was so inconsequential I truly could not see or feel it.  They just went down the wrong road.  There was nothing wrong with my front tire that I could see.  Like I said, I should have stuck to my guns and gotten another rear tire rather than change the 'cupped' front tire and do the alignment.  Smarter (and poorer) for sure!

IBA member # 45520

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2008, 11:12:13 PM »

maybe dyna-beads would cure it. :nixweiss:  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

old wrench

• Full CVO Member
  • You gota make this work together to get there fast

• CVO1: 2008 FSXTSSE2 Orange
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2008, 05:34:50 AM »

Glad you got your low speed wobble fixed, I was going to tell you that I use to have a low speed wobble on all my bikes years ago, but it only showed up in the evenings. Tried everything to fix it finaily found out what it was, the Budwiser level was to high in the driver  :oops: learned my limitations, adjusted the level of Bud and the wobble went away  :drink:

Realy though you only have two under ya, I changed my tires every 2 years or on mileage or wear which ever comes first. I change both of them at the same time, you can always sale you old skins to someone and recoop a little of the cost. I carry a plug kit in the bag, its a get me back to town have too, then the tire is replace, I do not patch. 

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2008, 07:26:08 AM »

maybe dyna-beads would cure it. :nixweiss:  spyder

More on this later but I think I have found and eliminated the cause of my problem........ excess vibration. Haven't had the bike to speed yet, so I can't say for sure.

blowncobra

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Blue
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Street Glide Orange Lava
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2008, 09:32:31 AM »

Thought so. I would suggest that if the tech mounted the tire and placed 6 ounces of weight upon it to balance it. He is an IDIOT, that should have been his first clue as soon as he balanced it he should have stopped rechecked and replaced the tire. Might want to find a new tech. I just hate to hear stories like this, these guys have to understand that someones life depends on them doing their job correctly. Good luck and ask them for a free service for your aggravation.  :2vrolijk_21:
THE WHOLE WORLD NEEDS A DRINK

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2008, 02:47:57 PM »

After installing the dyna beads do you remove your wheel weights?
2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2008, 04:08:48 PM »

After installing the dyna beads do you remove your wheel weights?

I did. That was the main reason I went to the beads, to get rid of the self-canceling, always-a-pain-to-clean-around, ugly wheel weights.

REGGAB

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2008, 10:31:00 PM »

Had rear tire replaced two weeks ago at dealer and immediately upon leaving dealer I noticed slight low speed wobble that was not there before tire change.  Got home and checked that tire was fully beaded, wheel aligned and axle nut tightened.  Every thing looked fine.  I've put 1,500 miles on new tire and problem still there - especially noticeable when turning from parking lot onto street and accelerating lightly.

Planned to redo the rear wheel torque procedure and bought rear axle 36mm nut ratchet wrench, Kastar p/n 9636 which is made for the baggers.  Wrench will not go on the axle nut because there is not enough space between the nut and the shock eye bolt.  Running Legends - are their eye bolts bigger?

Any help / thoughts apprecieted.  I know it could be swing arm bushings - neck bearings.  But the confusing thing it that it definitely was not there before the tire change and immediately began then.  Bike tracks and runs fine at speed - no wobble, no weave, no vibration.

ARRRRRGH!  REALLY wish I'd seen this prior to my purchase.  Same result with Bitubo's.  Doggone it.  That was an expensive mistake.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2008, 10:46:55 PM »

ARRRRRGH!  REALLY wish I'd seen this prior to my purchase.  Same result with Bitubo's.  Doggone it.  That was an expensive mistake.
Yup.  I bought a 36mm socket last year also.  When I pulled the rear wheel a friend with a lift table helped me.  His 36mm socket would not fit either, but mine did - it is thinner walled (from Sears).  So watch out on sockets also Henry as not all with fit.

IBA member # 45520

REGGAB

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2008, 10:58:05 PM »

Yup.  I bought a 36mm socket last year also.  When I pulled the rear wheel a friend with a lift table helped me.  His 36mm socket would not fit either, but mine did - it is thinner walled (from Sears).  So watch out on sockets also Henry as not all with fit.

I have a 36mm CRAFTSMAN socket, and it fits.  I'm thinking I'm going to buy a 36mm open end wrench and modify it (read:  cut it off 4 inches below the open end and machine a .5" square drive hole for the TQ wrench 1 inch from the cut off).

stekat

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2008, 11:37:38 AM »

I have a 36mm CRAFTSMAN socket, and it fits.  I'm thinking I'm going to buy a 36mm open end wrench and modify it (read:  cut it off 4 inches below the open end and machine a .5" square drive hole for the TQ wrench 1 inch from the cut off).

Seems like a lot of trouble to go to?  You might read "Reply #7" to this post and save yourself all that work.  I use it regularly.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.