Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: 1999 FXR2 Arresting Red~~> Handle Bar & Front PM Brake Caliper Modification  (Read 25407 times)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE

Well here we are in the spring of 2008.  Hello everyone!!!!  I hope all is well…..Seems the posting has been somewhat slow so I thought I would throw out a thread for us FXR2 FXR3 and FXR4 owners….detailing a recent modification done to my 1999 FXR2. 

Last summer right before Sturgis I made another modification to my 2002 Road King Classic (the endless search so it seems  for the “perfect” road king handle bar, rolling my eyes, but this time I think I nailed it) which had to do with handle bars.  I decided upon the Wild One Chubby 10” Mini Apes.  These bars have a 10” end rise and a 36” width.  After spending nearly 1,600 miles over several days with the new handle bars I was quite ecstatic about finally finding a set of bars that I feel comfortable with!  The only reason I have referenced the RKC’s modification is simply because as you can imagine after spending several days on one particular bike and getting use to the dynamics of the ride and then after returning and only a couple of days later to go out into my garage and jump on my 1999 FXR2 and take it out for a ride, what a “shock” I felt in terms of the handle bar differences in terms of “width”.  As most of us owners of the FXR2 model are aware of our stock HD handle bars HD# 56473-98 are only 28” in width.  YIKES!!!!  LOL… pretty narrow….Of course if you own no other bike you have nothing as a reference point so 28” is no big deal….However….

When I first acquired my FXR2 I thought the stock bars were fine, initially everything seemed copasetic..….but I have a buddy who owns an FXR3 and he kept trying to share with me how I would probably not really like the “performance” of the handle bars due to the lack of width which really references elements of leverage especially while attempting to negotiate corners through out our local canyons where I ride.  Of course after only a few runs and then trading bikes amongst ourselves (FXR2 vs FXR3)….with two major differences being of course the 19” wheel that the FXR3 has vs the 21” of the FXR2 as well as the width of the bars (he actually runs an already modified handle bar on his FXR3 which is approximately 31” in width) I very much understood after taking on a few “canyon corners” what he was trying to help me understand.  There is such little leverage available with narrower bars vs a wider bar.  (Which by the way logically follows what I now have with my RKC handle bar width of 36” compared to the roughly 32” I was running prior to that modification, and given the “bigger” bike feel of “Classic”, it even seems more pronounced…..)

At the time of purchasing my FXR2, I was also in possession of a 2003 Low Rider (FXDL) and the stock handle bars on that bike was an HD# 56081-01 which were 30” wide, since I knew how I felt with them while riding the FXDL, I decided to purchase the FXDL stock bar and place it on my FXR2 basically gaining 2 inches of width. This was a very easy install as no modification of cables inclusive of  the throttle, idle, clutch, or brake line cable were needed.  This resulted in what I felt was a great improvement and had I of course not modified my RKC handle bar as mentioned above I would have been still using the stock FXDL handle bar on my FXR2, however the amount of difference I felt between my RKC with the wild one 10” Mini Apes having 36” of width compared to the FXDL bars having only 30” of width on the FXR2 was simply not satisfactory to me.  There just was too much difference between the two bikes.  It just seemed really so odd to me that I knew I had to do something about the width of my FXR2 handle bars to help my mind with this huge discrepancy.  I know most of you are thinking….it shouldn’t be that big of deal (the differences between the two bikes) after all you are obviously not riding them at the same time and there are always a number of differences between any two bikes…so what’s the big deal….well all I can tell you is I found my mind always wandering about the “odd” feeling I was having that it was actually disrupting my focus while even riding the FXR2…which is not a safe situation and prior to my adding the wild one’s on my RKC I certainly wasn’t experiencing any penetrating differences in the bikes while riding either bike….so this was something seemingly of importance…as I said very odd…..Anyway….

« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 09:44:57 AM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
Re: 1999 FXR2 Arresting Red~~~~Handle Bar Modification!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 08:21:50 PM »

I decided to do some further research to see if I could find ANY handle bar that might be wider so my search took me to FLANDERS.  www.flandersco.com and I came upon a specific handle bar referred to as an F5: FLANDERS - Bad Boy Bars® with the width being 32.25” while the end rise, center, and pull back measurements were basically exactly as the FXDL bars.   So a perfect match except that they provided more width from 30” to 32.25” reducing the difference in handle bar width from 36” (RKC) to 32.25” (FXR2) an amount equal to 3.75” less difference.  While it doesn’t sound like much really it is substantial, exactly what I was hoping to find.  I might also add there certainly is a point at which handle bars for the FXR2 could go the other way and have too much width as well.  It seems at least for myself that at 33” and beyond I would feel any bar to be much too wide for the FXR2.  

After having installed the FLANDERS - Bad Boy Bars® on my FXR2 I can say that they are GREAT handle bars for the FXR2, the extra width is great for canyon riding and not so wide that they are uncomfortable either.  Visually there is hardly any difference between the FXDL handle bars I was running and the FLANDERS Bad Boy Bars® so that too is a positive.

Finally perhaps the point is regardless of whether I have another bike which prompted me to search for different handle bars for the FXR2, I would simply say that you may very well benefit from considering a modification from the stock 28” wide handle bar to a 32.25” wide handle bar resulting in better performance when entering curves as well as other types of riding, I know I am.

Cost to install the F5: FLANDERS Bad Boy Bars® is approximately $220.00

Here is the install

***DS-300133             F5: Flanders Handlebars - Bad Boy Bars®                                                       $81.56
HD# 56633-06            Black Vinyl Throttle Cable     28.5”                                                                  $17.60
HD# 56634-06            Black Vinyl Idle Cable            28.5”                                                                $17.60
DS- D-80338              38” Goodridge Clear Coated Stainless Steel Brake Line Cable                               $36.95
                                         600-03CL ASSY Custom Hose Assembly
03-5961                      Biker’s Choice 12 MM Banjo 35 Degrees                                                          $10.95
B594-03C                   Goodridge 10 MM Banjo 45 Degree                                                                  $12.95
                                (at the location of the caliper ie: bottom)  
26311                         12 MM Banjo Washer  (2)                                                                              $2.50
26310                         10 MM Banjo Washer  (2)                                                                              $2.60
85090                          PKG Chrome Cable Ties                                                                              $12.99
HD# 10081                  Double Loop Cable Ties   1.56 ea  x 3   (To connect throttle & Speed Cable)           $4.68  
HD# 91147-02             Billet Chrome Cable-Bracket Kit                                                                     $39.95
71795-63A                   Regulator Black Vinyl                                                                                    $2.54
                                                                                                                                           -----------------
                                                                                                                                                $218.00

IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT NO MODIFICATION OF LENGTH WAS REQUIRED FOR THE OEM STOCK CLUTCH CABLE FOR EITHER THIS APPLICATION OF THE FLANDER'S BAD BOYS HANDLE BARS OR THE 56085-83T (CHROME) OR THE 56085-83A (BLACK)

***If you venture to the FLANDERS website you will notice that the bars are more expensive than I am listing above and that is because I purchased my bars from a HD dealer offering 20% discount, I simply provided the Drag Specialties part number.  

You will also note that I decided upon the black vinyl coverings for the throttle and idle cables.  For the brake line cable extension I acquired (since our FXR2’s already come with stainless steel) a vinyl covered stainless steel goodridge brake line cable.  Also it should be noted the change for the brake line cable is also in part due to another modification of the stock FXR2 evo caliper over to a Performance Machine front brake caliper which also reflected the need for the change in B594-03C Goodridge 10 MM Banjo 45 Degree fitting.  It also should be noted that any change in length of a brake line cable will also require new banjo fittings above at the master cylinder as well as below at the caliper because the stock HD brake line cable is a one piece construction.  Because I modified the angle of the banjo fitting from 90 degrees to 45 degrees I was able use a 38” length of cable for my application.  If one were going to reuse their stock caliper with this handle bar modification I still feel the brake line cable would need to be lengthened I am just entirely sure how much and in part that decision would be based upon what you choose for angles at both the master cylinder and caliper locations….

*HD# 56432-98  Throttle Black Cable Stock HD For FXR2  26.5”  so essentially one is needing +2” of cable length
      *HD# 56433-98   Idle      Black Cable Stock HD For FXR2  26.5”   so essentially one is needing +2” of cable length

Regards,

FXR2evo99
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 11:50:40 PM by FXR2evo99 »

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 08:26:44 PM »

Now that is a great and informative couple of post!
Thanks

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 08:27:46 PM »

A photo of my FXR2 also showing the new PM Caliper I briefly mentioned as well....and also note that I am running a 19" laced HD # 43312-84 wheel $283.20 in June of 2005 as well as an HD# 59524-99 FXR3 Front Fender $44.55 purchased brand new off of ebay and to have it painted $100.00.  The only difference between an FXR2 and FXR3 front fender is  the rotation of the angle of the piece that attaches to the fender and provides the bolt locations of the fender to the fork.  Since I did add the FXR3 fender as I liked the angle of attachment better for the 19" look, I took the fender to my local painter who matched the color perfectly after 10-12 tries, but he finally got it right....it looks factory for sure!

silver-black thank you for your comments!!!   :2vrolijk_21:
Regards,

FXR2evo99
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 02:33:12 AM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 09:14:11 PM »

4 Piston Caliper and Bracket 1984 - 1999 FXR & XLH

125X4SL CALIPER FOR 11.5" DISCS
Single (1) Caliper & Bracket   Performance Machine Part #   Retail   
To be used with stock 11.5" disc.
Peformance Machince Part # Chrome   1219-0017-CH   $399.95   

FRONT - FOR 84-99 FXR, FXD AND XLH EQUIPPED W/ SINGLE DISC WITH A STOCK OR CUSTOM WIRE SPOKE WHEEL W/ 11.5” ROTORS (125 X 4SL CALIPER)

Part Number   Description   Suggested Retail
DS-325103    Single disc, Chrome     $399.95 /  $319.95  <~~~I purchased for

"DS" stands for Drag Specialties
I ordered this from a HD dealership offering 20% off of the Drag Specialties listed price + I paid shipping to my door.
The PM part number above only works for LACED wheels if you have an FXR3 with the "mag" wheel you need to of course contact PM or go to their website to determine the proper fitment for a mag wheel which is different.

As noted in my above posting I purchased a new goodridge brake line cable part number as previously listed above.

--------------------------------------

I will follow up after a thousand miles or so of useage to let all know what I think of the product.  Both my buddy (the FXR3 owner) and myself made these modifications to our bikes, as the evo brakes of course are not as responsive at least as compared to my 2002 RKC front calipers (yes of course I know I have two calipers in that application but still....) I am going to leave the stock evo caliper on the rear as 70-75% of my braking power is coming from the front calipers anyway....plus I like the black on the rear as oposed to chrome anyway which is an added bonus....

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 09:22:45 PM »

Another photo of the PM Caliper

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 09:26:03 PM »

and finally one final photo of the bike....showing the handle bars more from the rear....you might also notice the rear turn signals being relocated as I am set up to run the FXR convertible saddle bags...which required the turn signals being moved....you might also notice the FXR3 seat....(simply pointing out modifications that are in the photo)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 09:27:58 PM by FXR2evo99 »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 09:43:12 PM »

That's a GREAT lookin' 2! :shocked2: :2vrolijk_21:  Some before/after photos would have been nice to be able to see how much width you gained from stock, though.  I would like some wider bars on my FXR3, too.  It came with the same part number (56473-98) stock.  The bike handles well, but as you mention, the narrow-ish bars are not very confidence inspiring in the curves.  Do you have any photos of your bike from similar angles prior to the bar change?

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 01:51:48 AM »

Thank you! 103tHunDer .......and CONGRATULATIONS to YOU on your new FXR3 purchase being 1 of 64 owners of the Dark Candy Blue with flames....

There is no doubt about gaining width between the stock bar and the FLANDERS bar I installed....as I mentioned previously heck it's 28" stock compared to 32.25" with the FLANDERS bar.  At the same time the difference is not distracting in terms of the "visual appeal of the bike".

I actually have rounded up 5 photos that were taken of the bike before the stock handle bars were removed.  The first photo is a photo taken right after I purchased the bike and I was replacing the rocker gaskets which had some weeping, thus the tank is removed.  While I don't have any photos taken directly behind or in front of the bike you could take some of your own bike and then compare as well.

The rest of the photos will follow.

Regards,

FXR2evo99
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 02:48:35 AM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 01:53:23 AM »

Another one taken from behind as well....

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 01:54:46 AM »

another one taken from outside.....

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 02:08:10 AM »

Now this photo was taken with my buddies FXR3 that I mentioned before side by side, in this photo you should be able to see the width of the bars on the FXR3 I was attempting to describe in the beginning of this thread.  The bars on the FXR3 (emerald green) are approximately 31" wide.  I could have gone with a pair of these but I thought back in 2005 at the time that the FXDL (low rider) handle bars would be wide enough at 30" and since I already knew how they felt on my 2003 FXDL I decided I would stick with them on the FXR2.  Then when I made the modification to my 2002RKC last summer as previously stated I felt I wanted to go wider than even the [approximate] 31" wide bars he had on his FXR3 so I skipped the bar on his FXR3 and began a search to find a bit wider bar, and I found the FLANDERS F5 Bad Boy Bars at 32.25" in width.  As you might be able to tell it's really hard to visually see the difference between his 30" wide bar and my stock 28" bars on the FXR2 in this photo.  My point is that changing the width of the bars doesn't negatively impact the "visual stance" of the bike's appearance, but it sure does ergonomically make a huge difference in a positive way.

Here is some information about the bars on my buddy's FXR3 that he put on:
Here is the part number these handle bars either come in black mat or chrome:

56085-83A Black Mat Finish
56085-83T Chrome

In the HD Catalogs the bars are described in the following ways:

HD Catalog Part # Tip To Tip   Base Width   Rise       Pull Back       Price
2003 56085-83A        31.5"         7.5"             4"           7.5"                         Black Satin
2003 56085-83T        31.0"         8.0"             4.5"        5.5"                          Chrome

2007 56085-83A        31.5"         7.5"             4"           7.5"                         Black Satin
2007 56085-83T        31.0"         8.0"             4.5"        5.5"                         Chrome

2008 56085-83A        31.0"        7.75"            4.5"        5.75"          $51.00     Black Satin
2008 56085-83T        31.0"        7.75"            4.5"        5.75"          $49.95     Chrome

Well as you can see lol HD has a hard time deciding what size these bars are....each year or so it's something entirely different....but I did check with my buddy and on his FXR3 he has the "Chrome" version of these bars on which would be the HD# 56085-83T

If you have any of the above HD catalogs listed above you will be able to see them.....I just don't think your going to be able to figure out how exact these measurements are from the descriptions provided the only choice one has is simply to commit to purchasing them and seeing if you like them, what I do for sure is they are indeed a bit narrower than the Flander's BAD BOY handle bars but then again they are a bit less expensive as well....and my buddy does like them on his FXR3....but all I know is he is running these, and I verified that he is also needed to modify his throttle cable and idle cable.

Basically for me I would either be running one of these two bars either the "Flander's Bad Boy Bars" or the HD# 56085-83T which are the "chrome" version. What I like the best is that the FLANDER'S BAD BOY bars are just a bit wider and that was my entire purpose for putting a second set of bars onto my bike vs remaining with the stock bars.....Choosing the HD# 56085 83T chrome bars would of course also save one another $40.00 aproximately over the Flander's Bad Boy Bars if one were to purchase the HD bars from a HD 20% discount dealer as well.

So there you have it....lol

Regards,

FXR2evo99
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 11:36:28 AM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 02:13:13 AM »

and finally a photo taken outside from an angle showing the stock 28" handle bars on my FXR2.

If I can be of further assistance to you or anyone else feel free to either post a question....glad to help....

Regards,

FXR2evo99

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 07:10:31 AM »

Now this really sucks.
FXR2evo99 your killing me!
One of my best past memories of bikes was my 86 FXRC that I bought new and made the motor a 98" S&S runner.
I loved that bike.
FXR2evo99 I sit here and read your informative post and wish I had one like yours.
A very cool and good looking bike!
You should be proud!

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 09:31:52 AM »

I am reposting the photo below just to mention a few more details. 

You should also be able to notice that the external "handle bar" wiring runs smoothly against the lower aspect of handle bar in this photo and without any wire ties or "external" wire clips.  In the stock and FXDL handle bars there are approximately 2 predrilled holes per side for wiring clips to secure the wiring to the underneath of the handle bar. However the F5: FLANDERS - Bad Boy Bar® is not predrilled for wiring. FLANDERS however does indeed make a version of this handle bar to accomodate internal wiring, but I felt that would require removing the tank and then determining where the handle bar wiring originates at without the need for splicing, it just seemed a bit overwhelming to do a clean job.  Also what came to mind is that every time one wanted to remove the handle bar from the bike all of this effort would need to be repeated to remove and reinstall...it just seemed way too complicated.  Obviously HD did not make this a simple endeavor or they would have installed in some sort of way, easily disconnecting the wires for modifications such as this, so I left well enough alone.  Thus, I went with FLANDERS "non" internal wiring handle bar the "F5: FLANDERS - Bad Boy Bar®"  As you perhaps can tell the wires lay very nicely against the bottom part of the handle bar and to this point I haven't even bothered to use any of the "chrome" wire ties  to "better" secure the "loom" of wiring along the bottom of either side of the handle bars that I purchased as you may have noted above in my parts list. 

Finally, on this matter DO NOT become focused on drilling any holes into the handle bar for the stock wiring clips, and don't ask me why I know this....lol...besides as I have just mentioned everything seems to be working just fine without any securing at all.  Also note that there is no need to lengthen the wiring, so no splicing or soldering is required.)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member

FXR2evo99...I've read through this post and I did not see (I can't see anyway) that you swapped out CLUTCH cable. Am I guessing right that you used your STOCK FXR2 CLUTCH cable or did I miss the info in your posts?

elvislee~

You are correct, there was no alteration required for any of the handlebar changes I went through.  The final handlebar (Flander's "Bad Boy") also does not require any alteration of the clutch cable. 

Also it should be noted that my buddy who installed the HD# 56085-83T [chrome version] handlebars on his FXR3 ALSO did not require changing the "length" of his stock clutch cable as well. 

Regards,

FXR2evo99
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 10:03:16 AM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member

I was a little concerned if the 31" was to wide but it is perfect.

I am telling you, lol, "if" you like the "looks" of the handlebars right now....just with them on your bike...wait until you actually "experience" the "function" of the handlebars.....ie: when taking a "sweeping" curve or a "tight" curve....that's when you will totally experience the "benefit" of the handlebars you have just put on now....it's a geometrical fact that there is a point where by adding more width creates more leverage which you will experience....and yet if you were to go to 34" - 36" wide bars (if someone would even make them, outside of "beach bars") you would find that they would be just too wide for your comfort thus the effect of diminishing returns....you will also notice that your hands are not hanging on to the grips like on "buck horns" where as with the one's you are installing right now your hands will be at an angle where they "rest" on the handle bar which of course in my "opinion" is an improvement as well.....and ultimately they even offer a "dramatic" improvement in the "appearance" and "stance" of the bike itself which is an entirely different "bonus" of sorts as well....Not always does "appearance" and "function" intersect to provide the best of both but in this case it does...

I am only able to answer the question of clutch cable length for an FXR2 which is HD# 38607-87A and is a total length of 62.69" inches.  The length from the cable adjuster to the clutch lever is 29.74" and the length from the clutch release cover to the clutch cable adjuster is 32.95".  It should also be noted that this is for a "black vinyl" clutch cable as well.  In order for me to figure this out I went to my 1999 FXR2 parts book, looked up the HD part #.  Then I pulled out a 2008 HD "Catalog" the big book [with all of the accessories for all of the bikes] and then looked up the part number in the back of the book and it referenced HD# 38607-87A as being on page 639. I went to page number 639 which was the clutch cable section for all of the bikes and referenced the length of the cables....what you have to be careful of here is if you decide you need a longer length whether or not the part number you wish to increase to is in "black vinyl" like the stock is or whether you wish to go to stainless steel for the covering.....also note that the HD stock number of HD# 38607-87A does not reference that it actually fits a 1999 FXR2, but it does...lol since that's the HD part number that's in my FXR2 part's book...So I would be careful matching up any cable that fits a 2000 - 2006 HD bike on to a "evo" styled bike....as I have "personally" not performed the research to see if the connections at the end points are the same for an evo as they are a twin cam....So if you find your "stock" HD part number in your part's book for your particular bike you should be able to see what the actual length is by doing the same cross reference procedure as I have done. Then of course decide if you need a longer length whether or not you can find such in black vinyl.  I have been told that the same manufactuerer that makes HD stock clutch cables is the same company that makes them for Drag Specialties so you can always check with Drag Specialties for a longer clutch cable if in fact HD does not reference one in their catalog for you....hopefully this is helpful.

Regards,

FXR2evo99

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member

So, what's the story on this mod as far as the cables are concerned?  Can I use the stock cables on my FXR3?  No doubt the (freakishly long) clutch cable will work, but what about the brake line, throttle and idle cables and electricals?

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member

Hey, elvis, do you have the stock cables on your 4 then?  If so, seems like it would work.  Yes, I would like to go to the wider H-D "-83T" bar for comfort and handling, but don't want the expense of switching out cables on top of it if I can avoid.

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member

Hey, elvis, do you have the stock cables on your 4 then?  If so, seems like it would work.  Yes, I would like to go to the wider H-D "-83T" bar for comfort and handling, but don't want the expense of switching out cables on top of it if I can avoid.  So, what's the story on this mod as far as the cables are concerned?  Can I use the stock cables on my FXR3?  No doubt the (freakishly long) clutch cable will work, but what about the brake line, throttle and idle cables and electricals?

103tHunDer~~~

If I might chime in here.....without being rude....I believe you are asking about your FXR3 and whether you need to change your oem throttle cable, idle cable, brake line, clutch cable, or electricals, if you desire to make the change from your stock handlebar over to the HD# ****-83T "chrome" handlebar right????

You are correct, no change is required for your brake line....the only reason to lengthen one's front brake line is if they are modifying from the OEM evo brake caliper over to a PM caliper.....well it's not the only reason but it's that reason that caused both my buddy and I to have to lengthen our front brake line cable.....but the brake line is sufficiently long enough to accomodate the width of the HD# 83T handlebar....(I know this because my buddy put this exact handlebar on his FXR3 and did not have to lengthen his front brake line UNTIL after we both decided to change our evo oem brake caliper over to a Performance Machine Brake Caliper which did require us both to lengthen our front brake lines) as for the clutch cable....you are also correct no length is required so continue with stock/oem.

The electricals ALSO do not need to be modified they will be fine. however.....I do believe the idle cable and the throttle cable both need to be modified...as noted with what I did above.  One way to confirm is to look at the oem stock numbers I listed above for my FXR2 and see if your oem stock part numbers for your throttle and idle cable are the same....Also I am not sure if the stock/oem part number for the handlebars for an FXR2 are the same exact part numbers for the FXR3 or whether the FXR3 starts out with a wider handlebar to begin with thus providing a different part number as well....

Hopefully this is helpful to you.

Also I would like to say THANK YOU many times to FXR2evo99 for his courtesy in allowing me to unintentionally hijack his thread.

elvislee~~~

You are using this thread for it's intended purpose.....so you have not "hyjacked" the thread....this is what I wanted to have happen to allow what I did for a modification to open the doors to others who might be contemplating it....so all you have done is "added" to the purpose of this thread.....which in my mind is GREAT!!!!  Just like 103tHunDer is also doing as well!!!   :2vrolijk_21:   :2vrolijk_21:   :2vrolijk_21:

Regards,

FXR2evo99
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 02:05:29 PM by FXR2evo99 »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member

FXR2evo99,

Thanks, that does help clarify and yes, I am trying to understand what's required for this mod going from the stock FXR3 bar to the H-D part number you referenced.  I will have to sit down and digest this thread a little more thoroughly when I have some more time and have my parts manual in front of me.  You've given a lot of detail here, which is great, I was just looking for some quick answers, lol.

Thanks for all the info.!

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member

elvislee....

You did great  :2vrolijk_21: explaining yourself....not that you need my endorsement....but anyway..... :nixweiss:
Here is a thought.....if you put black vinyl throttle and idle cables on you will spend "less" money....and they will "appear" just as "appropriate" as the braided stainless steel cables would.....over the years I have yet to have an indy mechanic state the "benefits" of putting "braided" cables on one's bike vs "black vinyl" covered oem cables as a point of reference speciifcally for the idle and throttle cables....How times change....for those running 2008 bikes this discussion isn't even being had because of "fly by wire"....lol....sometimes there is something to be said for "simple" is sometimes better....

Regards,

Tim

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member

Blaine.....

Don't forget to look at Drag Specialties.....they are a good source for cables....I think the reason you need longer cables than us guys with the FXR2's and FXR3's is because you have that "riser" set up, am I correct?  So it obviously extends the length of the cables????.  Here's another thought....what about changing out the "risers" to the set up of an FXR2 or FXR3?  Perhaps not a "oem" look you are desiring of creating?

Handlebars are a "nitemare" lol....but when you get them right....it's all about "dancin" in the streets!!!!
 :orange:  :cucumber:   :pepper: 

Regards,

Tim

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member

That's right.....the FXR4 does have that wiring difference.....psssst if you do decide to go with the FXR2 risers....step over to the FXR3 risers because they are "chrome" the FXR2 risers are "polished" aluminum....

Regards,

Tim

RedFXR2

if you do decide to go with the FXR2 risers....step over to the FXR3 risers because they are "chrome" the FXR2 risers are "polished" aluminum....

Uh oh.  I may have another "upgrade" to do. ;D

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member

"RED",

Here is another upgrade for you....as you know our buddy here elvislee is enjoying his brake pedal more than you or I with our FXR2's....yep.....everytime he pushes on his rear brake lever....he is "pushin" CHROME!!!!!!  \

look at that purrrrty chrome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So tell us elvislee....how is it feel to be "pushin" chrome on that there CHROME BRAKE PEDAL?

:pepper:

So "RED" when you decide to do this little upgrade let me know how it works out.....I might have to FOLLOW yah!!!!

Regards,

Tim
FXR2evo99

ps:  you know when you do find the right handlebars they CERTAINLY can make the riding experience totally different.....

As I have been working on the HISTORY OF THE FXR's I am dumbfounded by HD's logic to use BUCKHORN handlebars on these bikes originally....Think about it with a buckhorn handlebar....your hands are "hanging" on to the bars instead of resting on them....if one let's go of the "BUCKHORN" handlebar....their hand will fall down....if you let go of a "traditional" handlebar like what is on our FXR2's, FXR3's and FXR4's your hands will AT LEAST remain on the handlebar....which gives you simply another riding position just like when rotating one's feet around....

« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 06:17:32 PM by FXR2evo99 »

RedFXR2

RedFXR2,

Here is another upgrade for you....as you know our buddy here elvislee is enjoying his brake pedal more than you or I with our FXR2's....yep.....everytime he pushes on his rear brake lever....he is "pushin" CHROME!!!!!!

Yeah, well, I'm still using Maas polish on my pedal.  Hey, it's almost chrome..... for a while. ;D

As I have been working on the HISTORY OF THE FXR's I am dumbfounded by HD's logic to use BUCKHORN handlebars on these bikes originally....if one let's go of the "BUCKHORN" handlebar....their hand will fall down....if you let go of a "traditional" handlebar like what is on our FXR2's, FXR3's and FXR4's your hands will AT LEAST remain on the handlebar....which gives you simply another riding position just like when rotating one's feet around....

I first saw buckhorn's on Sportsters back n the 1970's.  I thought they looked too cool for words, and obviously the guys who used them did. too.  I have to think it was another HD example of style over function.  Even now, sometimes I see a Sportster with them and it just looks so appropriate somehow, harkening back to the "bad old days".  But I would never have them, myself.

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!

Yep...I was stylin to the island...lookin and a cookin...sccotin and a pootin.... Had my chest out struttin and a cuttin, and pushin on the cushin...Hell yea!!! Keep your motor runnin, way out on the highway, lookin for adventure, and whatever comes my way :2vrolijk_21: Then I had to go back home and pick up the grandkids...LOL...

How'd I miss that! Funny guy Blaine! ;D ;D ;D :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RedFXR2

...Hell yea!!! Keep your motor runnin, way out on the highway, lookin for adventure, and whatever comes my way :2vrolijk_21: Then I had to go back home and pick up the grandkids...LOL...

I can relate to this stuff.  Very similar to myself, except I'm picking up the kids, not grandkids.

I've learned how to make a quick transition from "Then Came Bronson" to suburban Dad.  Only takes a minute. ;D

« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 10:43:30 PM by RedFXR2 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member

REDFXR2,

That photo is awesome, captures the hopes and dreams of getting to first base......that's a KODAK MOMENT FOR SURE......

Regards,

Tim

RedFXR2

Yeah, I was just hangin' on the Sportster trying to decide if the chick in the parking lot looked enough like Bonnie Bedelia to try for first base with....

Oh, you're talking about my son. :D :D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 11:15:42 PM by RedFXR2 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member

Oh.....this Bonnie Bedelia

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member

Blaine....

Personally I really like the "look" of how those bars appear on your bike much better....and if I remember right, what's more important, you are personally enjoying the "function" of them as well?

Thanks for posting some photos.....your bike looks AWESOME!!!! and what's best is I don't see ANY "HIGH" water marks either......wheewwww another Hurricane season has nearly passed!!!!

Regards,

Tim

Socalshocker

Re: 1999 FXR2 Arresting Red~~> Handle Bar & Front PM Brake Caliper Modification
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2008, 11:10:38 PM »

FXR2evo99, First of all your bike looks great, along with your friends fxr. And the bars look cool on these bikes. Second (without reading through all of the comments) is it possable that your friends bike turns faster in the corners because of the thin tire up front? When I switched my front tire to the 21in, it seemed like I was riding a totally different bike. It was much faster in the conners. 

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2008, 03:33:09 AM »

FXR2evo99, First of all your bike looks great, along with your friends fxr. And the bars look cool on these bikes. Second (without reading through all of the comments) is it possable that your friends bike turns faster in the corners because of the thin tire up front? When I switched my front tire to the 21in, it seemed like I was riding a totally different bike. It was much faster in the conners. 

Socalshocker....

First of all thanks for your comments.....but let's clear up something first.....in the photo's showing both bikes, my bike is the "Arresting Red FXR2.  My "friend's" bike is the green FXR3.  It was actually my bike that began with the 21" wheel/tire up front as all FXR2's came from the factory this way, while the FXR3's and FXR4's both had 19" wheels/tires respectfully from the factory.

As for the question of whether I personally have found any difference in performance as far as how "fast" my FXR2 enters corners with either the 21" OEM factory wheel/tire vs the 19" wheel/tire, I would have to say the only reflections I have, is that the 19" wheel/tire handles actually better in corners as I have more tire surface in contact while cornering with it vs the 21" wheel/tire and by "better" I am referring to elements of say "stableness", I also have noticed that the 19" wheel/tire provides more "cushion" or "less" road feedback than the "thinner" 21" wheel/tire.  Having run both the 21" wheel/tire and the 19" wheel/tire on my FXR2 I personally have found the 19" an improvement to my riding experience......I also previously owned a 2003 Dyna Low Rider which also came with the 19" front wheel/tire for reference purposes. 

Socalshocker....

Also welcome to the website here.....how did you find the website, (always like asking this question).....which model FXR do you own? 

Regards,

Tim

"FXR2evo99"

« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 03:36:36 AM by FXR2evo99 »

Socalshocker

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2008, 03:10:41 AM »

Thanks for the welcome Tim, I think I found the this site when I was looking for some gearing info on an other Harley site. I followed the link here and noticed that you guys had your own FXR forum. I joined on the spot. Good FXR forums are hard if not impossible to find. As for my bike, it is a 91 FXR superglide with a 2002 wideglide front end. Salutations     Jerry

Socalshocker

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2008, 03:16:01 AM »

2nd pic

Socalshocker

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2008, 03:17:21 AM »

3rd

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2008, 09:48:22 AM »

Jerry, (Socalshocker),

Thanks for sharing, glad you found the website, and you are absolutely right finding a "good" site designated towards the FXR is difficult to find.....glad you found it.....and thanks for sharing a couple of photos of your bike, not sure where you have been so far within the "FXR SECTION", but there are some great people here, I recommend if you haven't taken a "gander" over to the "FXR HISTORY" Thread that you follow that thread through from the beginning, it's sort of a "story line" discussing the "FXR HISTORY", many have shared stories about different bikes and have provided a wealth of good information, it may prove to "frame" the FXR in a more conclusive way....here is a "link "easy" link to the thread, simply place your curser over the address, click your curser, view and read as both your time and interest allow.....

"FXR HISTORY" THREAD:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=25417.0

Another Thread that I would encourage you to "gander" through.....isn't "gander" a great descriptor....lol, anyway this thread is helping to serve the purpose of allowing us as FXR "CVO" Owners as well as FXR Owners of models from 1982-1994 an opportunity to get to know one another and a place to communicate with one another regardless of whether we have a "tech" need, or a "modification" need....and as a result I encourage you to introduce yourself over there if you are comfortable doing.....To keep these bikes on the road our communication with one another will be more and more important to us all....as both parts and time distance trail into yesteryear leaving these bike more and more simply "resting" in either barns or garages......

"FXR CHATTER" THREAD:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=29604.0;all

So welcome, and I for one thank you for taking the time to join, your bike looks awesome, I would enjoy learning about how you discovered your bike and why you purchased it...(over in the "FXR CHATTER" THREAD) and I am sure many others would as well.....

Regards,

Tim

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2008, 08:53:50 PM »

Welcome aboard Socalshocker! Always great having more FXR enthusiasts on hand! This Board is getting busier all the time now! Tim, you been recruiting? ;D

Thanks for joining us Jerry! Enjoy this Great Site!!! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

elvislee

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2008, 06:15:12 PM »

Bumping this thread up for Phil just in case he hasn't read...Another read for options on handlebars  :2vrolijk_21:

Phil...These bars are the HD 83T bars Tim references that his buddy put on his Fxr3. I really enjoy these; not trying to get ya to get these bars but just to let you see as many options as you can and then go for it  :2vrolijk_21:

Pic #1 of 6
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 06:26:44 PM by elvislee »

elvislee

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2008, 06:21:55 PM »

Pic #2 of 6
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 06:27:03 PM by elvislee »

elvislee

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2008, 06:22:34 PM »

Pic #3 of 6
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 06:27:22 PM by elvislee »

elvislee

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2008, 06:23:25 PM »

Pic #4 of 6
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 06:27:43 PM by elvislee »

elvislee

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2008, 06:24:40 PM »

Pic #5 of 6
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 06:26:15 PM by elvislee »

elvislee

« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2008, 06:25:52 PM »

Pic #6 of 6

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2008, 07:26:54 PM »

Thanks, it looks like they pull it back a few inches?  Did you have to replace all lines and cables?   Wiring extension?

Did you change the switch housings back to black?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 07:55:10 PM by skreminegul07 »
Any day on the bike is a good day.

elvislee

« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2008, 11:00:39 PM »

Thanks, it looks like they pull it back a few inches?  Did you have to replace all lines and cables?   Wiring extension?

Did you change the switch housings back to black?

Phil,

1. Cables...The cables you see in these photos are the cables which came off the buckhorn bars I had on the bike before I put the 83T bars on.
        I bought new cables (Black) at stock +2" but have not put them on yet. I keep telling myself I'm gonna try my stock cables off the drag bars
       first and see if they will fit;, but as you can see I just haven't done it yet. When I do try the stock cables to the 83T bars and if they fit I will
       use them and return the +2" cables. So, when ever I get off my lazy A$$ I'll let ya'll know.

2. Wiring Extension...The wiring extension was a new set I purchased from HD when I had put my buckhorns on and that wiring came with
       the black switch housings and I just went ahead and put those on. I still have the stock chrome switch housings from the stock wiring and plan
       to reistall the chrome ones at the same time I decide to put the stock or +2" cables on.

So, because I had already had buckhorns on when I changed to the 83T bar it affected the cables and wiring on that swapover as to how it would have if I had been changing from the drag bar to the 83T. I know this doesn't help you much but my main purpose of showing you pics as I indicated earlier was to try and give you a visual of a yellow4 with different bars.  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 11:02:50 PM by elvislee »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2008, 03:49:44 AM »

Blaine~~~~

WOW your bike LOOKS AWESOME!!!!!! I really like those handlebars on there and more importantly from what you have been sharing it seems like they are working well for you too.....<~~~which should be anyone's primary reason for changing handlebars!!!! because they are more comfortable!!!!

Great photos too......your photos will only help this thread continue to be useful to others.......anyone owning an FXR4 now has something they can "visually" see that's different from the OEM handlebars......

ANOTHER "best part" about those bars is that they are pretty inexpensive as well~~~~

:bananarock:

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 03:38:25 PM by FXR2evo99 »

elvislee

« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2008, 10:06:35 AM »

Blaine~~~~

WOW your bike LOOKS AWESOME!!!!!! I really like those handlebars on there and more importantly from what you have been sharing it seems like they are working well for your too.....<~~~which should be anyone's primary reason for changing handlebars!!!! because they are more comfortable!!!!

Great photos too......your photos will only help this thread continue to be useful to others.......anyone owning an FXR4 now has something they can "visually" see that's different from the OEM handlebars......

ANOTHER "best part" about those bars is that they are pretty inexpensive as well~~~~

:bananarock:

Regards,

Tim

Thanks Tim...You know I ALWAY's appreaciate your kind words  :2vrolijk_21:

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2008, 06:35:39 PM »

Phil,

1. Cables...The cables you see in these photos are the cables which came off the buckhorn bars I had on the bike before I put the 83T bars on.
        I bought new cables (Black) at stock +2" but have not put them on yet. I keep telling myself I'm gonna try my stock cables off the drag bars
       first and see if they will fit;, but as you can see I just haven't done it yet. When I do try the stock cables to the 83T bars and if they fit I will
       use them and return the +2" cables. So, when ever I get off my lazy A$$ I'll let ya'll know.

2. Wiring Extension...The wiring extension was a new set I purchased from HD when I had put my buckhorns on and that wiring came with
       the black switch housings and I just went ahead and put those on. I still have the stock chrome switch housings from the stock wiring and plan
       to reistall the chrome ones at the same time I decide to put the stock or +2" cables on.

So, because I had already had buckhorns on when I changed to the 83T bar it affected the cables and wiring on that swapover as to how it would have if I had been changing from the drag bar to the 83T. I know this doesn't help you much but my main purpose of showing you pics as I indicated earlier was to try and give you a visual of a yellow4 with different bars.  :2vrolijk_21:

Great info.ward controls, which did you go with?  With integrated master cylinder?  I noticed the stock rear brake line has a place for the brake light switch to T into it.  Doesn't look like a longer one like that might be available.

elvislee

Great info.ward controls, which did you go with?  With integrated master cylinder?  I noticed the stock rear brake line has a place for the brake light switch to T into it.  Doesn't look like a longer one like that might be available.

Phil...First I know this is an old post and I was just reading through some older stuff and just now realized I never answered your questions...I don't know what happened as to why I didn't;, but I SINCERALEY APOLOGIZE. I always try and make it a point to respond back to someone and I guess I missed this somehow :-[

Now to try and answer your questions.

1. The forward controls I cannot positively identify by PN as I bought them used from "omtg" (Kenny) on this site after he bought his Fxr2. I do know they are Kuryukyn's and I THINK they are the discontinued ones of PN: 9064 if I'm correct. If I understand your question correctly; no, they are not with the intergrated Master Cylinder.

2. I am completely clueless to the "T" you are talking about..I am gonna look at it tomorrow to see what you are talking about  :confused5:...Maybe you could school me on this...Anyway...AGAIN, MY APOLOGIES...Blaine

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member

Previously there was a request for a photo of what the OEM FXR2 or FXR3 Handle Bars look like as compared to say the "new" width of a set of Flanders "Bad Boy" handle bars, so I recently saw a photo of Frisco Kid's FXR3 bike taken from the rear (even though his paint scheme is different it's a confirmed FXR3) so I am simply attaching the photo from another THREAD on a Handle Bar discussion so that in the future other's might be able to compare the "width" difference.  The FXR2 & FXR3 OEM handle bars are 30" wide while the Flanders "Bad Boy" handle bars are 32.25" wide.

Regards,

FXR2evo99

COMPARE THIS PHOTO WITH REPLY #1 FOR A VISUAL COMPARISON
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 04:01:17 PM by FXR2evo99 »

Frisco kid

• 1999 H-D FXR3

I have been through this page a half dozen times as it is so imformative.
Now imgine my suprise to see my bike here. Love it.
So here is my BIG question.
How did the PM caliper perform?
WAs it worth the bucks?
My guess is it was.
I ordered the Flanders bad boys for my bike and can't wait to put them on.
Live free or die like a rat in a trap.

1999 FXR3
EV27 Cam, Adjustable push rods, S&S Carb, Crane Single-Fire, RB Pipe.

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member

I have been through this page a half dozen times as it is so imformative.
Now imgine my suprise to see my bike here. Love it.
So here is my BIG question.
How did the PM caliper perform?
Was it worth the bucks?
My guess is it was.
I ordered the Flanders bad boys for my bike and can't wait to put them on.

Frisco Kid....

I wish you well with your decision to go with the flanders "bad boy" bars....I know I have liked mine.  Hope they make things a bit more comfortable for you.

THE BIG ANSWER lol......is:

I feel nonplussed by the Performance Machine Caliper that was put on, both Paul (owner of the green FXR3) and I installed the PM Chrome Caliper on our FXRs.  We both are in agreement....they pretty much suck for the amount of money we spent.....but they "look" good.....don't get me wrong....it's not like the bike is unsafe or that there is not improvement, as there has been....but for the amount of $ spent we both feel they are under performing.

Knowing what I know now, I would do 1 of 4 things:

A) I would purchase a right fork with the brackets for another disc for the right fork and put a new master cylinder on to handle the extra caliper and run two discs up front with the old style evo calipers.....part numbers could be arrived at by looking at either evo dynas or another fxr model that ran dual brakes up front.  Just remember our forks are "chrome" so you need to find a right fork leg which is chromed and uses the old style evo calipers to accomplish, haven't done any research on this matter to confirm which exact part numbers to work from.

B) Go to the FXR4 model and purchase the front forks on an FXR4 as well as discs and the master cylinder from the FXR4 and then acquire two appropriate calipers that fit ie: the twin cam style calipers that are "black" finished vs the "silver finish" since I am more fond of "black", the FXR4 calipers have a "silver" finish.  I believe the front forks of the FXR4 are chromed as well.....just so you know.

C) Scrape the Idea of the FXR4 idea above and go to a 2001 or so FXDX sport front fork set up which is a "cartridged" style fork set up which gets one into the elements of whether one feels the FXDX Sport front forks would perform better than the current oem FXR2, FXR3, or FXR4 forks from a stand point of the "cartridged" styled system.  The FXDX Sport also is a dual disc situation.  Now realize the FXDX Sport front forks are not "chromed" so if that was important move to D.

D) Before installing the FXDX Forks on to your bike pay to have them chromed....and then proceed with all necessary elements for installation.  This system would of course accomplish three things, 1) Chromed Front Forks, 2) A "Cartridged" Styled Front Fork System which you can "dial in" and finally 3) Twin Cam (for lack of a better term) later styled calipers which work fantastic on my 2002 RKC and stop that 750 lb monster lol, so you know you would get great performance with a much lighter (aprx 200 lb) plateformed bike which are a "dual" disc set up.

Since it pretty much works out to a 70/30 split for stopping in that 70% of your stopping power is attributed more to the front brakes over the rear brakes my feelings of course that leaving the oem FXR2, FXR3 brakes are just fine....but if you felt you needed to have them match changing that caliper could be done as well but from a "performance" stand point not particularly needed in my opinion.

So there you have it.....

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 01:05:07 PM by FXR2evo99 »

Frisco kid

• 1999 H-D FXR3

Someone has obviously give this some real thought.
None of those options sound cheap! But it is rare that the best option is the cheapest.
In the short term I will live with what I have.
But if a deal presents itself, I might just jump at it.
It seems that most people with older evo style dual disks are pretty happy with them.
And I see guys swapping out front ends pretty regularly.
So this is one more thing to scavenge from the shows and classifieds.
IMO chrome calipers don't look nice stuffed into the bumper of some careless rubber necker.
I love that too close lane change into immediate braking.
Thanks.
Live free or die like a rat in a trap.

1999 FXR3
EV27 Cam, Adjustable push rods, S&S Carb, Crane Single-Fire, RB Pipe.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

The engine on the transmission on the FXR4 are also gray, like the brake calipers,  which is the way HD picks the colors, I believe.
The 1999 also have single or dual pistons (not sure)  and the 2000 calipers are quad.  Going from the single disk 1999 setup to the 2000 dual disc setup must be a considerable increase in stopping power.  I have the 2000 FXR4 and can tell you that it stops quick.  You only need 1 finger.
That was one of the reasons that I selected the 2000 over the 1999.  But that's just me.

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member

The engine on the transmission on the FXR4 are also gray, like the brake calipers,  which is the way HD picks the colors, I believe.  The 1999 also have single or dual pistons (not sure)  and the 2000 calipers are quad.  Going from the single disk 1999 setup to the 2000 dual disc setup must be a considerable increase in stopping power.  I have the 2000 FXR4 and can tell you that it stops quick.  You only need 1 finger.  That was one of the reasons that I selected the 2000 over the 1999.  But that's just me. 

skreminegul07~

I should have mentioned what you said above as well that the 00 FXR4 indeed has the "silver" or "grey" engine thus the calipers are matching to that "theme".  And of course the FXR2s and FXR3s have the black engine thus one would automatically be prone to looking for "black" calipers in such an application.....  GOOD POINT!!!

Indeed I would also agree with your assessment that the dual disc set up with the "twin cam" style 4 piston caliper set up is a huge improvement over the FXR2 or FXR3 bike OEM one disc single piston "evo" style brake caliper.....although I must admit it seemed to stop me WITHOUT putting my feet on the ground like the "Flinstones"  :2vrolijk_21:  lol.

This was the logic used by going to the PM New Caliper Brake for myself and Paul with each of our bikes ie: FXR2 and FXR3, in the end we got some "performance" but as I said above "underwhelming" performance just the same although not such bad performance that we are endangering the riding experience....that's why if anyone is thinking of modifying their front end on either the FXR2 or FXR3 I would recommend one of the four options mentioned above.

Regards,

Tim

fxr3joe

• Full CVO Member
  • Rock N Rollin'

Elvislee,

Can you post a picture and part number for you saddle bag brackets? 

Thanks!

FXR3Joe

fxr3joe

• Full CVO Member
  • Rock N Rollin'

Elvislee,

Great pics of the bike.  One item of caution...I had a fork bag mounted where yours is and I let my suspension get sloppy (waited too long to change out the fork oil).  The fork compressed enough over time to actually cause the bag to dent my fender.  I had a soft leather H-D bag with a pad lock in it which probably was a bad idea.

Thanks,

Joe

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member

Elvislee,
Can you post a picture and part number for you saddle bag brackets?  Thanks!

FXR3Joe

Elvislee,

Great pics of the bike.  One item of caution...I had a fork bag mounted where yours is and I let my suspension get sloppy (waited too long to change out the fork oil).  The fork compressed enough over time to actually cause the bag to dent my fender.  I had a soft leather H-D bag with a pad lock in it which probably was a bad idea.  Thanks,

Joe

Joe~~~

I noticed above you are trying to reach Elvislee.....for what it's worth.....basically....

Elvislee doesn't post at CVO Harley anymore, he does most of his "posting" over at Harley Tech Talk or "HTT" thus.......if you follow the "attached" "LINK" provided below you will if you are a member there be able to relay your questions to him and he can send you some photos via e~mail I am sure.....

CLICK HERE:  Elvisee Profile

He is always glad to help.....he is a great guy!  I simply responded here because it might be a "long" time before he might catch up with this THREAD to even see your question of him.  The "LINK" above should send you to his profile on that website and you should be able to send him a "private message" but in order to do that as I mentioned above you must first be a member, since I am a member there I was able to establish the link.  Membership there like here is not based upon a "fee" requirement so if you aren't a member it's pretty hassle free to become one.
 :jalapeno:
Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 12:56:54 AM by FXR2evo99 »

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member

Frisco Kid....

I wish you well with your decision to go with the flanders "bad boy" bars....I know I have liked mine.  Hope they make things a bit more comfortable for you.

THE BIG ANSWER lol......is:

Tim ALWAYS has 'THE BIG ANSWER'
  :P

I feel nonplussed by the Performance Machine Caliper that was put on, both Paul (owner of the green FXR3) and I installed the PM Chrome Caliper on our FXRs.  We both are in agreement....they pretty much suck for the amount of money we spent.....but they "look" good.....don't get me wrong....it's not like the bike is unsafe or that there is not improvement, as there has been....but for the amount of $ spent we both feel they are under performing.

and if you had DUAL up front, you'd be out even more $ .... COST is the only reason I haven't put PM calipers on my bike, as I'd need 3 of them and I just am not going to spend that kind of money just for looks.  The FXR4 has great braking with the duals up front, I'm very happy with the stock setup.

Knowing what I know now, I would do 1 of 4 things:

A) I would purchase a right fork with the brackets for another disc for the right fork and put a new master cylinder on to handle the extra caliper and run two discs up front with the old style evo calipers.....part numbers could be arrived at by looking at either evo dynas or another fxr model that ran dual brakes up front.  Just remember our forks are "chrome" so you need to find a right fork leg which is chromed and uses the old style evo calipers to accomplish, haven't done any research on this matter to confirm which exact part numbers to work from.

B) Go to the FXR4 model and purchase the front forks on an FXR4 as well as discs and the master cylinder from the FXR4 and then acquire two appropriate calipers that fit ie: the twin cam style calipers that are "black" finished vs the "silver finish" since I am more fond of "black", the FXR4 calipers have a "silver" finish.  I believe the front forks of the FXR4 are chromed as well.....just so you know.

This, IMHO, would be the easiest way to do it..... yes, the forks on the 4 are chrome, yes, the calipers are silver, black is ok, but if you have a silver motor and case, silver calipers go well with it    :-)

C) Scrape the Idea of the FXR4 idea above and go to a 2001 or so FXDX sport front fork set up which is a "cartridged" style fork set up which gets one into the elements of whether one feels the FXDX Sport front forks would perform better than the current oem FXR2, FXR3, or FXR4 forks from a stand point of the "cartridged" styled system.  The FXDX Sport also is a dual disc situation.  Now realize the FXDX Sport front forks are not "chromed" so if that was important move to D.

D) Before installing the FXDX Forks on to your bike pay to have them chromed....and then proceed with all necessary elements for installation.  This system would of course accomplish three things, 1) Chromed Front Forks, 2) A "Cartridged" Styled Front Fork System which you can "dial in" and finally 3) Twin Cam (for lack of a better term) later styled calipers which work fantastic on my 2002 RKC and stop that 750 lb monster lol, so you know you would get great performance with a much lighter (aprx 200 lb) plateformed bike which are a "dual" disc set up.

Since it pretty much works out to a 70/30 split for stopping in that 70% of your stopping power is attributed more to the front brakes over the rear brakes my feelings of course that leaving the oem FXR2, FXR3 brakes are just fine....but if you felt you needed to have them match changing that caliper could be done as well but from a "performance" stand point not particularly needed in my opinion.

So there you have it.....

Regards,

Tim

Good Stuff, like always Tim !!!
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.434 seconds with 21 queries.