Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Best Way to Lower a Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide (FLHTCUSE3)?  (Read 23053 times)

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member

:worthless:
Has to be said

Air1

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 FLHTCUSE/662
    • CVO2: 06 FLHRSI
    • CVO3: 05 VRSCSE

I have made a change on mine from the original Arnott system, I put some of the Aldan adjustable shocks on that they offer, you can buy them with the system and they do add more cost to it. But there is a big ride difference in the Aldan shocks compared to the Bilsteins I had on it. With the Aldan you have a larger piston and a cover airboot, and the adjustment gives you the choice of return rate, the ride is alot better on rougher roads. If your looking for somthing to just change the height of the bike then the Bilsteins are fine, if you looking for height and ride comfort I would spend the extra coin and go with the Aldans. 

Thanks for the advice, I'll go for the aldans. ;)
07 & 08 Rolling Thunder
07 HD Posse Ride Great American

old wrench

• Full CVO Member
  • You gota make this work together to get there fast

• CVO1: 2008 FSXTSSE2 Orange

:worthless:
Has to be said

I know I had just put the bag on when I thought about the pics, so it was take it back off and get the pics or take it for a ride  :orange: like I said the ride was a lot better than the other shocks, I will get some this weekend, the Aldans are a damn good looking shock, I got the chrome they were the same price as the black even though they dont show that much.

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3

I have made a change on mine from the original Arnott system, I put some of the Aldan adjustable shocks on that they offer, you can buy them with the system and they do add more cost to it. But there is a big ride difference in the Aldan shocks compared to the Bilsteins I had on it. With the Aldan you have a larger piston and a cover airboot, and the adjustment gives you the choice of return rate, the ride is alot better on rougher roads. If your looking for somthing to just change the height of the bike then the Bilsteins are fine, if you looking for height and ride comfort I would spend the extra coin and go with the Aldans. 
OW thanks for the update I have emailed a request to return the bilsteins for the aldans and to get the 10%-so I have cancelled the install until I hear their reply. Glad I caught this the system showed up the day you posted this and I was planning to install this morning-everything happens for a reason-huh?

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

megavolt17

• Full CVO Member

This was a more complicated process than I thought.  I ordered the Traxxion AK-20 and the Bitubo HD 300 mm rear shocks.  The AK-20 arrived within a couple of weeks and we then waited another 3-4 weeks for the Bitubos.  Finally everything came in and I brought my bike to Appalachian HD to do the install.  After disassembling the front end they realized the AK-20 were not set up for my bike.  A few calls between Appalachian the Traxxion and it appeared the AK-20 were set up for a 1998 Ultra.  Appalachian HD did not feel comfortable modifying the cartridges and sent the whole assembly to Traxxion.

3 more weeks pass with my bike partially disassembled and on a lift at Appalachian.  I am 1 week out from my bike being packed to ship to Germany and panicking.  What was I thinking to have done this during riding season and prior to PCSing!  How am I going to get my bike to Germany?

Knowing my dilemma Appalachian HD kept calling Traxxion who express shipped my front end back to Appalachian.  Brian Quizenberry called yesterday to let me know that my AK-20 had arrived.  Everything was finished this morning and I just picked up my bike.  Talk about cutting this close!

First ride:
I took the long way home on my bike going on I 81 at well over the legal limit past trucks with a cross wind - no more bike buffeting like a kite with a short tail (this was a complete surprise as I have not read any posts about this).  I braked hard and immediately noticed no front end dive!  Rather when you hit the brakes it depresses about 1/2 inch and immediately, even before you release the brake, it returns to it's prior position.  Releasing the brakes it does not rebound up at all as it did with the stock shocks.  It felt completely different than prior and much more stable.  I think this will help on the Autobahn where there are no speedlimits.

Then off to the side roads with ridges, ripples, etc.  Not as smooth as I had hoped on the bumps, but less harsh than prior.  I did not manage to bottom out or top out the bike even with it now being 1" lower than prior.  Oddly I did not scrape the floor boards either  (Appalachian adjusted them and the kickstand I believe) as I had expected on the S curves and long sweeping corners, many with ripples and dips.  It felt glued to the road compared to prior, I wonder if I had more wheel hop prior than I had realized?

The feeling of the bike wandering around a curve is gone.  The feeling of it being unstable if taken into a curve a bit too suddenly is gone.  It used to corner OK if I did a smooth deliberate corner, but felt unsteady if I abruptly cornered or changed my path while cornering.  It no longer does the S curve or slalom "wiggle" that made the rear end feel as if it was cornering differently than the front of the bike.  If I apply the brakes while cornering it feels sure footed and not as if I are going to either go over the handlebars or dump the bike.  Low speed cornering seems easier, but that might be because it is now 1" lower.  When I come to a stop I can touch, nearly flat footed!

I will see you all when I am set up on the other side of the pond!
Megavolt17

2008 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide (FLHTCUSE3)
105th Anniversary Crystal Copper and Black Onyx
HD High Intensity Discharge (HID) Dual Bulb Headlamp
HD Illuminated LED Windshield Molding Kit
HD Air Wing Tour-Pak Luggage Rack with Smoked Lens LED Rack Light
Küryakyn Panacea Blue Dot Smoked LED Taillights and Turn Signals
"Roll Your Own" SE Air Cleaner
SE Street Performance Touring Mufflers
SE Race Tuner
Traxxion AK-20 cartridges
Bitubo HD 300mm shocks
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.