Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Cam Choice  (Read 6451 times)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Cam Choice
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 06:20:50 AM »

Go with the Freedom cams, they provide fantastic service which is not the experience many of us have had with Zippers, at least IMHO.

Joe

This set of cams from Zippers are the Chit!!! We all know they have had some complaints with customer service but I think they are working on the problem. The package Chris wants to do will be perfect for him. He is going with a SERT not a PC or TM. That is what his guy is familiar with. So I know he will be OK.

Again Chris if you need anything hit me up.

Be Safe

THE DAWG 
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 10:59:20 AM »

so - along with cams what about the lifters - in particular - roller lifters? Jims - Fueling?

It has been mentioned here that if the bike has some miles just go ahead and change out the lifters. Are the roller worthwhile with the CVO 103's?

Mike - did you see my list of parts for the cam replacement?
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2008, 12:33:45 PM »

so - along with cams what about the lifters - in particular - roller lifters? Jims - Fueling?

It has been mentioned here that if the bike has some miles just go ahead and change out the lifters. Are the roller worthwhile with the CVO 103's?

Mike - did you see my list of parts for the cam replacement?

The Harley Twin Cam Motor already has roller lifters. I would go with fueling and yes I WOULD CHANGE THEM!

Duane I did not see the list of parts. I will look tonight if I get a chance! It is not a big deal to change them out IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TOOLS!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2008, 12:55:26 PM »

I think anytime you install new cams you should change lifters.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2008, 01:41:08 PM »

The Harley Twin Cam Motor already has roller lifters. I would go with fueling and yes I WOULD CHANGE THEM!

Duane I did not see the list of parts. I will look tonight if I get a chance! It is not a big deal to change them out IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TOOLS!!!!!

It is in the "this has nothing to do with cams" thread  :nixweiss:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=23113.msg372533#msg372533
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2004  SE-103          ROAD KING CLASSIC
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2008, 08:54:44 PM »

Read some info on the Zippers 575 and the Freedom 14's but from what I can gather is these are both more of a mid to top cam.  I am looking for something that will pull tree stumps!!  My RK is an AMS 95", with their head work and TW26G cams.  Over 90 ft/lb of torque @ 2200 rpm.  The dyno on my SEEG is 76 ft/lb torque @ 2500 and then dips a bit.  I'm hoping that the change from the Reinharts will help but I know the stock CVO cams suck.

Will be going with AMS lifters and adj. pushrods.  Probably the PClll over the SERT.

Chris

i am one that really doesn't put to much stock into dyno numbers,
however in your case i will make an exception.
i have seen stock Tc-88" make 76#'s of torque.
even if your seeg ran like crap, i would think it would have at least mid 80's to low 90'S.
if you really want most of your power down low, do the cam change and change over to a 2 into 1 pipe.
you can keep your true duals and get the supertrapp megs, but i hate the way they look.
good luck with your choice!

2004 flhrci se-103 pearl white
bassani true duals w/ho mufflers
se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers
2008 lincoln mark lt(silver)

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 08:26:28 AM »

It doesn't run like "crap" but it doesn't run as good as it should.  The dyno sheet was done by the first owner and I'm sure it was untuned.  The bike had a DFO unit on it that has been removed and will be replaced by a SERT.

You bring up a very good point that I have been trying to get some good info on - the exhaust.  Most everyone has Reinharts on their CVO's.  From everything I have read the stock head pipes or a two into one system will produce more bottom end power yet so many people swear by their Reinharts. 

Has anyone actually compared (dyno or seat-of-the-pants) the two.  My tuner likes the Reinharts ("why would you want to take them off?") but I'm still thinkin stock head pipes with the 98B Slip-ons.

Any thoughts out there?

Chris
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 09:07:41 AM »

sert good,  2 into 1 good, stock touring header pipes bad.  if you look at the design of a 2 into 1 both tubes come together and flow with each other,  more to it than that but you can git the idea.  stock is a 2into 1 with a calibrated air leak off to the left side.  look at wear the two pipes come together and thy don't flow thy collied.  every body has a differant opinion on exhaust systems but i think most will agree with this.     axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 12:52:38 PM »

But wouldn't the stock head pipes be better for low end power (kind of a 2 into 1) than the Reinharts?  Most dyno charts I've seen show a bit of a dip in torque from  2500 to 3000 with the RHTD's.  Have yet to see a dyno chart with stock head pipe and Slip-ons to see if the dip is present with this set up.

I know dyno charts are just paper so I curious to know if anyone has the 575 cams with a stock head pipe (and Slip-ons) to see how the bike runs.

I have both systems available to use so it will be one or the other.

Chris

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2008, 01:14:06 PM »

But wouldn't the stock head pipes be better for low end power (kind of a 2 into 1) than the Reinharts?  Most dyno charts I've seen show a bit of a dip in torque from  2500 to 3000 with the RHTD's.  Have yet to see a dyno chart with stock head pipe and Slip-ons to see if the dip is present with this set up.

I know dyno charts are just paper so I curious to know if anyone has the 575 cams with a stock head pipe (and Slip-ons) to see how the bike runs.

Chris

This is off the Latus web site, now you have to pay to see their dyno charts, this is a 95", but gives you an idea.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 01:54:37 PM by Talon »

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008, 02:00:59 PM »

Chris

chris,
you would make more power by welding up the left side of the stock crossovers.
it's very tricky when making more power for these v-twins.
you can get it down low to mid range, or you can get it from mid to upper.
most of the guys here who have it all, spent alot of money to do it. myself included. and because i love the look and sound of the true duals, i still have the dip.
change out the dud 253 cams that you have, have it tuned on the dyno and you will be happy no matter what exhaust you are running.

se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2008, 02:53:10 PM »

chris,
you would make more power by welding up the left side of the stock crossovers.
it's very tricky when making more power for these v-twins.
you can get it down low to mid range, or you can get it from mid to upper.
most of the guys here who have it all, spent alot of money to do it. myself included. and because i love the look and sound of the true duals, i still have the dip.
change out the dud 253 cams that you have, have it tuned on the dyno and you will be happy no matter what exhaust you are running.

To get a little more top end from the stock pipe you can also do the Y pipe modification, some of the rear down pipe protrudes into the right side rear pipe, you can take the pipe off and grind down this protrusion and gain a little more upper range HP.

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2008, 04:54:38 PM »

Nice dyno numbers (and torque curve) with the Slip-ons.  That is what I'm looking for out of this bike.  Now you have me thinking about taking the Reinharts off again......

Ordered the Zippers 575 cams and S&S gear drives and install kit today.  Still shopping for the Feuling Oil Pump.  Is the oil pump a "must do"?  Didn't change the pump on my 95" Road King (head work and TW26G cams also) and no worries there.  Over budget now and the $400 or so for the feuling set up will only make it worse.

Chris

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2008, 05:09:12 PM »

If you changing the pump, you might look at some of the threads for the newer SE billet Cam plate and oil pump. I haven't done it yet, but a few of the guys here that own shops have been using this setup and like it.

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2008, 06:25:56 PM »

Nice dyno numbers (and torque curve) with the Slip-ons.  That is what I'm looking for out of this bike.  Now you have me thinking about taking the Reinharts off again......

Ordered the Zippers 575 cams and S&S gear drives and install kit today.  Still shopping for the Feuling Oil Pump.  Is the oil pump a "must do"?  Didn't change the pump on my 95" Road King (head work and TW26G cams also) and no worries there.  Over budget now and the $400 or so for the feuling set up will only make it worse.

Chris

i dont want to give you something else to think about, but those dyno numbers are from two different bikes.
the comparison means nothing unless its the same bike with the same mods.
leave the pipes alone for now and change the cam.

se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.562 seconds with 21 queries.