Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: F'ing nail!  (Read 6251 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
F'ing nail!
« on: June 28, 2008, 12:13:26 AM »

Went on a little dinner ride with the local HOG chapter this evening and when I left the restaurant immediately felt that bike was not handling right.  Sure enough low, low rear tire - almost completely flat.  Pulled out big f'ing nail.  Sucker must be almost 4" long.  Chit and this tire has only about 2k on it.  Luckily I carry a plug kit and a small air compressor.  So friend and I plugged her up and aired her up and HQ and I rode home about 40 miles with no problem.  So gotta pull the rear wheel tomorrow am and off to get a new tire.  Guess I've been darned lucky.  In over 40 years of riding this is the first flat I've ever had.  Still sucks though!

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
Re: F'ing nail!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 05:21:35 AM »

Sorry about that Jerry. Good to have the plug kit and compressor to save a road call though.
Seems it would be impossible for a 4" nail to jump up there and penetrate that new rubber.  :soapbox:

Dave
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 05:43:51 AM »

What kind of plug kit do you carry?

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 06:13:35 AM »

I never go anywhere without my little compresser & plug kit. Funny, I've had to repair tires with the guys I ride with but not mine. Good to see you had it with you. THE MUFFMAN

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 08:47:48 AM »

What kind of plug kit do you carry?
Actually just a cheap kit I got at auto parts store - Auto Zone I think.  Worked fine.

IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 08:49:37 AM »

Sorry about that Jerry. Good to have the plug kit and compressor to save a road call though.
Seems it would be impossible for a 4" nail to jump up there and penetrate that new rubber:soapbox:

Dave
You're right Dave.  Never know but probably picked it up in the parking lot but of course unsure.  Sucker was in ther at an angle and hardest part of plugging it was getting the nail out and then reaming out the hole to accept the plug.  Those lops are a heck of a lot harder and tougher than I would have expected. 

IBA member # 45520

Sean M Cary

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 08:49:57 AM »

Went on a little dinner ride with the local HOG chapter this evening and when I left the restaurant immediately felt that bike was not handling right.  Sure enough low, low rear tire - almost completely flat.  Pulled out big f'ing nail.  Sucker must be almost 4" long.  Chit and this tire has only about 2k on it.  Luckily I carry a plug kit and a small air compressor.  So friend and I plugged her up and aired her up and HQ and I rode home about 40 miles with no problem.  So gotta pull the rear wheel tomorrow am and off to get a new tire.  Guess I've been darned lucky.  In over 40 years of riding this is the first flat I've ever had.  Still sucks though!

Some tire shops can patch them from the INSIDE with a vulcanized patch, maybe you could save the tire??

Sean

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 01:21:10 PM »

Some tire shops can patch them from the INSIDE with a vulcanized patch, maybe you could save the tire??

Sean

Sean, I've thought the same thing more than once over the years.  If Jerry has had but the one flat in 40 years I've had enough others so that he and I even out a bit.

I carry a plug kit and CO2 cartridges to get in with.  Each time I've used them over the years I've always replaced the tire that had gone flat.  Have thought about saving a buck and getting it patched.  Remembered all those tires I patched as a kid working in a gas station with nary a failure.  Then remember that if a car tire goes flat I don't have at least a fair chance of falling down.  When I think of bouncing I've bought the tire.  Everytime.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 01:25:08 PM »

Sean, I've thought the same thing more than once over the years.  If Jerry has had but the one flat in 40 years I've had enough others so that he and I even out a bit.

I carry a plug kit and CO2 cartridges to get in with.  Each time I've used them over the years I've always replaced the tire that had gone flat.  Have thought about saving a buck and getting it patched.  Remembered all those tires I patched as a kid working in a gas station with nary a failure.  Then remember that if a car tire goes flat I don't have at least a fair chance of falling down.  When I think of bouncing I've bought the tire.  Everytime.
Amen Don.  To patch the tire you've got to break the bead, remove it from the rim and re-install it.  Don't even know who'd I go to to get that done.  Even if dealer would do that heck I'd pay just as much to repair the tire as I would to mount & balance an new one which costs $154.95 now.  My a$$ is worth $154.95!  I'd never patch a motorcycle tire.

IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 01:26:31 PM »

Got 'er done.  New tire mounted & balanced, re-installed on bike and test ridden.  Good to go for my ride tomorrow.  Now just hope that light rain gets out of here. :2vrolijk_21:

IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 01:44:36 PM »

Amen Don.  To patch the tire you've got to break the bead, remove it from the rim and re-install it.  Don't even know who'd I go to to get that done.  Even if dealer would do that heck I'd pay just as much to repair the tire as I would to mount & balance an new one which costs $154.95 now.  My a$$ is worth $154.95!  I'd never patch a motorcycle tire.

Just realized I lied.  I have patched and ridden.  But it was when I was much much younger on rattletrap bikes assembled from god knows what going I didn't even always know where.  But then it was spoons on the side of the road or a truck stop parking lot getting at old inner tubes.  Some of that crap wasn't very good and I wasn't always the smartest ass on the saddle back then.

charlie

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 07:13:06 PM »

Been there do that on a tire that had less then 1000 miles on it.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 11:36:57 AM »

Last year a friend of mine was on a Father's Day ride with his sons, he ran over a knife in the middle of the road and cut a slice in a brand new Metzeler tire on the back of the bike. Had to get a new tire, not a good father's day!

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 08:41:40 PM »

Last year a friend of mine was on a Father's Day ride with his sons, he ran over a knife in the middle of the road and cut a slice in a brand new Metzeler tire on the back of the bike. Had to get a new tire, not a good father's day!
Any day you stay upright with a blowout is a good d!
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

hossdog

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 09:54:55 PM »

I plug em and pump em with a foot pump,I don't leave home without, then head to the nearest harley shop for a new tire No patches.
Jesus loves bikers too !
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.