Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: CVO Air Ride Suspension  (Read 7223 times)

FATBOYXF8

• FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCUSE
CVO Air Ride Suspension
« on: July 14, 2008, 09:33:41 AM »

I have 2, 2005 ElectraGlides Screaming Eagles.  I think the rear air suspension is terrible.  No matter what pressure is use, riding with a passenger is hard on the passenger's back.  I ride the bikes without the Tour Pack.  The suspension seems to bottom out or be too be stiff.  Are there any products out there the can soften the ride and maybe give me some travel in the rear suspension without raising the bike??  I had an 01 RoadKing that I used the shorter factory air shocks to lower the bike and that didn't work out well at all.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: CVO Air Ride Suspension
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 10:12:54 AM »

Many have changed to Progressive 440's, some to Bitubo's. Both give you a much better ride that the stock air shocks. Bitubos are more expensive but better than the 440's. 440's come with a standard or heavy duty spring. If you ride 2-up alot or are over 225 you should get the heavy duties.

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 10:18:46 AM »

The '05s are lowered by the factory. This is the cause for the missing comfort. There are many options to cure this, and searching on this forum will provide access to a wealth of information. Try "Progressive" or "Legend" to start ...

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 12:13:45 PM »

Try "Progressive" or "Legend" to start ...

And Arnott
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

cash338

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2001 FLTRSEI2
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 12:15:02 PM »

I installed the Arnott system.  Love it.  The ride is much better. JMTC. 8)
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.

FATBOYXF8

• FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 04:26:19 PM »

Is the Arnott an air ride system also??

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 04:42:47 PM »

Is the Arnott an air ride system also??

Yes, the Arnott system has an on-board compressor.

Here is what it looks like right out of the box (shown with the upgrade Aldan shocks)

MOBlue

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 05:12:21 PM »

And Arnott

Porthole....or others that made the group buy.

I read where you and a few others made the Arnott buy. Now that you had them for a couple of weeks, are you satisfied with the ride and handling? Like the guy that started this thread, my back and tail are fed up. I did the Progressive 440's on my  :pumpkin: and although better than stock, they still were too stiff. The other question I had was how high do you have to adjust them to get the good ride. All the way to 13" or can you run lower?

Thanks for any input. My wife and back will be very appreciative.

2Eagles

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 05:22:17 PM »

With the MOCO 12" shocks, don't forget that they require more air pressure to work than the 13"er's..  That being said, most of us don't have the stock rear shocks.  For the money, the 440's are hard to beat even though they aren't the best aftermarket shock available.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 10:13:04 AM »

I read where you and a few others made the Arnott buy. Now that you had them for a couple of weeks, are you satisfied with the ride and handling? Like the guy that started this thread, my back and tail are fed up. I did the Progressive 440's on my  :pumpkin: and although better than stock, they still were too stiff. The other question I had was how high do you have to adjust them to get the good ride. All the way to 13" or can you run lower?

Did you by any chance buy the heavy duty progressive's?

I have the normal ones and they were a major improvement over stock. I also have the Bitubo's on the bike now. They "seem" better but it was not worth the upgrade path I took, maybe had I gone from stock to Bitubo's.

I just got my air ride system, seems they made the travels with UPS because of the address.

Mine will probably sit in the box for a while - little busy for the next few weeks. And I want to decide on a few options.

For those that have installed the air ride.........

lets see pics and info on the pressure gauge options. I will not be mounting it in the fairing, so trying to decide what to buy and where to put it.

Also - anyone have any info on the shock adjustment? There is nothing in the box about the Alden's.

And, has anyone figured out a way to use the compressor for an air horn? Check valves and such could eliminate one piece of hardware on the bike.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

MOBlue

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 08:18:54 AM »

Did you by any chance buy the heavy duty progressive's?

I have the normal ones and they were a major improvement over stock. I also have the Bitubo's on the bike now. They "seem" better but it was not worth the upgrade path I took, maybe had I gone from stock to Bitubo's.

I just got my air ride system, seems they made the travels with UPS because of the address.

Mine will probably sit in the box for a while - little busy for the next few weeks. And I want to decide on a few options.

For those that have installed the air ride.........

lets see pics and info on the pressure gauge options. I will not be mounting it in the fairing, so trying to decide what to buy and where to put it.

Also - anyone have any info on the shock adjustment? There is nothing in the box about the Alden's.

And, has anyone figured out a way to use the compressor for an air horn? Check valves and such could eliminate one piece of hardware on the bike.
Actually I do have the std 440's....Anxious to hear how the Arnott's work for you. Sounds like we had the same set-up on our bikes.

Thanks

azmarkk

• Life begins at 40 and gets better from there
  • Ride fast or get out of my way
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 07:31:44 PM »

I had a 2006 ultra classic that was lowered front and back 1 week after I bought the bike by the dealer. Never rode the same. At seeds over 95 it just did not feel stable. I kept telling myself it was because of all the fairing area being buffeted. In August of this year I bought the 2008 ultra classic CVO. I could not believe the difference in the way the new bike handled compaired to the old one. Rock stable even over 105. I put 4000 mi on stock suspension and then dropped the ass end 2 inches. Still stock shocks but had to increase air to 30lbs packing 2 on board. I keep 30 lbs even single rider but I have some pretty hard bumps on the roads I travel. I have had no handling issues that I have noticed but I do have to watch clearance on hard bumps.
2006 FLHTCUI
2008 FLHTCUSE3
2006 F250 KING RANCH C/C

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 06:25:55 AM »

I replaced the original lowered shocks with a set of OEM take off air shocks on my 2003 SERK.  Rides much better, wife doesn't complain about the ride now.  I am sure one of the aftermarket ones would be better, but for less than $50 shipped to my door, you can't beat them.
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

cash338

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2001 FLTRSEI2
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 08:48:06 AM »

Thanks for any input. My wife and back will be very appreciative.

2Eagles

Put on the Arnott system.  I have had it for two months now and love it.  Firm, and good handling feel.  One thing I found out though is that it seems to need more pressure for the better ride than I thought it would...Scot
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.

Genyc45

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 08:20:42 PM »

I have an 05 SE Classic and have the same problem with the suspension. It sucks. I had the dealer convert the front end back to stock and had new Touring 13" shocks installed. The front is definitely worth it. The rear is questionable. I've just ordered Progressive 440, should have them on in a week or so. I'll let you know. I used to have trouble turning with the suspension so low. The bike would always drag. With the suspension back to full height it turns way better. I recently rode an 06 Ultra CVO what a difference. It was like riding on air, didn't feel a bump. Not sure what's going on with 05's, hopefully the 440 take care of the problem.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.