Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tire Valve Stem Won't Tighten  (Read 7040 times)

HogDude

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: Gone-05 SEEG2(never should have let her go)
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
Tire Valve Stem Won't Tighten
« on: August 01, 2008, 08:50:35 PM »

Hey Guys,
Getting ready for a 1500 mile 4 day trip... Check the air pressure, remove air pump and here the air leaking.

I have one of the $2.95  valve stem tools, so I tried to tighten the stem.... no luck.

THE entire valve core just spins and will not tighten down. At first I thought the nut itself might be a left handed thread, but nothing seems to tighten it down.

Am I overlooking something here ?

I just had the tires replaced less than 3 months ago...

Chit......

Thanks

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Tire Valve Stem Won't Tighten
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 10:26:15 PM »

Will the stem come out if you unscrew it, or is it just spinning in both directions?  If it will come out, get another stem at a auto parts place and try that.  Hopefully the problem is with the current stem and not with the internal thread.  If replacing just the stem is a no-go, it shouldn't be too big a job to break the tire bead just enough to replace the entire valve.  I've never tried it, but it might even be possible to do it with the wheel still mounted.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HogDude

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 11:05:03 PM »

Will the stem come out if you unscrew it, or is it just spinning in both directions?  If it will come out, get another stem at a auto parts place and try that.  Hopefully the problem is with the current stem and not with the internal thread.  If replacing just the stem is a no-go, it shouldn't be too big a job to break the tire bead just enough to replace the entire valve.  I've never tried it, but it might even be possible to do it with the wheel still mounted.

Jerry

Jerry,
Thanks for the response.. No, the core will not completely unscrew... it just reaches a point and spins in both directions.
I've scratched the trip......... oh well, guess that's just one of those things...............

Have a good one !

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 11:29:15 PM »

Are you able to grasp both sides of the core/stem with needle nose pliers?

If you can you still should be able to pull it out as you are turning it.

This has happened to me before... too much pressure on the air chuck... like Jerry suggested pull it out and you may only need to replace the stem.

HogDude

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 09:41:40 PM »

Are you able to grasp both sides of the core/stem with needle nose pliers?

If you can you still should be able to pull it out as you are turning it.

This has happened to me before... too much pressure on the air chuck... like Jerry suggested pull it out and you may only need to replace the stem.
Loaded it up on the trailer and made the 90 mile haul to dealer. They replaced the $6.77 stem.... so we're back in biz now. I would have thought they would have replaced the valve stem with the last tire change.... but they routinely do not.

I was wondering about the pressure on the air chuck like you said. Just using one of the sears portable A/C type air pump.....

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.