Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Brembo Brakes for an SEUC²  (Read 5465 times)

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
Brembo Brakes for an SEUC²
« on: August 12, 2008, 02:11:54 AM »

OK, I'm toying with the idea of adding Brembo brakes to my SEUC². This is not an '08 with ABS. I'm looking for some better stopping power especially in the rear. On occasion, I have had the rear brake almost fail due to excessive heat. This occurred during a MSF class where I was riding them pretty hard however, I have been with Ken (Hogbreath) on the Dragon when his rear brake was almost non-existent.  As an added bonus, I like the looks of the additional chrome.
Can the calipers & pads just be changed? Or is there more to this installation on an '07 SE? Has anyone else done this? Can the parts come from HD through Jenni or can Jim (HD Dude) get them? And finally, if cost is out of reason, should i just change pads for better performance? I have just replaced the pads within the last 3000 miles with stock HD pads.
Thanks.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Brembo Brakes for an SEUC²
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 11:44:15 AM »

OK, I'm toying with the idea of adding Brembo brakes to my SEUC². This is not an '08 with ABS. I'm looking for some better stopping power especially in the rear. On occasion, I have had the rear brake almost fail due to excessive heat. This occurred during a MSF class where I was riding them pretty hard however, I have been with Ken (Hogbreath) on the Dragon when his rear brake was almost non-existent.  As an added bonus, I like the looks of the additional chrome.
Can the calipers & pads just be changed? Or is there more to this installation on an '07 SE? Has anyone else done this? Can the parts come from HD through Jenni or can Jim (HD Dude) get them? And finally, if cost is out of reason, should i just change pads for better performance? I have just replaced the pads within the last 3000 miles with stock HD pads.
Thanks.

I have installed chrome Brembo brakes (calipers and rotors) front and rear.  The performance is fantastic.

I purchased thru QTMI - they are the direct importer from Italy.

www.qtmi.com

Somewhere there is a thread with part numbers, prices and pictures of what I installed...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 11:55:18 AM »

More info. here, too: http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=3848.0

Awesome performance and just what the big bagger needed, but pricey.  If cost is an issue, definitely try the Lydall pads, first.

Never heard of a rear brake fading, though. :confused5:  If anything, lock-up is an issue, typically. :nixweiss:

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 07:48:37 PM »

Thanks.

Based on our conversation, you're talking about going with the HD Brembo units found on the 08+. You can do the front, but not the back. The rear master cylinder has a totally different frame mount and won't retrofit.

You can do the fronts without problem, but not the rear. You'd have to go to aftermarket parts to do the rear.

:indian_chief:

WVULTRA

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 08:48:02 PM »

Thanks.

hard:

I recently completed the '08 Brembo Front Conversion on my '07 Ultra.  At the requests of several Forum Members, I did a complete write-up with pics and part numbers.  Don't have it hosted anywhere at the moment, but if you'd like I'll be glad to zip it up and email to you.  The zip is 1.5Mb and I have received several positive replies on the Conversion write-up.

If your interested, just send me an email at:

hogrider"at"suddenlink"dot"net and I'll send you a copy.  The file is for entertainment purposes only!   :oops:

:2vrolijk_21:

'07 Ultra Classic
Axtell Mountain Motor 107" 
Baisley Stage II Heads
HPI 48 Conversion TB
SE Intake w/Zippers Max-Flow
Rinehart Tru Duals
TTS MasterTune
'08 Brembo Conversion

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 09:08:28 PM »

hard:

I recently completed the '08 Brembo Front Conversion on my '07 Ultra.  At the requests of several Forum Members, I did a complete write-up with pics and part numbers.  Don't have it hosted anywhere at the moment, but if you'd like I'll be glad to zip it up and email to you.  The zip is 1.5Mb and I have received several positive replies on the Conversion write-up.

If your interested, just send me an email at:

hogrider"at"suddenlink"dot"net and I'll send you a copy.  The file is for entertainment purposes only!   :oops:

I think your article is what has him thinking out loud. ;)

WVULTRA

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 09:16:27 PM »

One thing I can state, beyond a shadow of a doubt, is the Conversion is one of the best upgrades I have ever done to a motorcycle!

Everyone talks about going fast; few talk about about giving it great "whoa"!

'07 Ultra Classic
Baisley Stage II Heads
HPI 48 Conversion TB
Rinehart Tru Duals
TTS MasterTune
'08 Brembo Conversion

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 09:23:32 PM »

One thing I can state, beyond a shadow of a doubt, is the Conversion is one of the best upgrades I have ever done to a motorcycle!

Everyone talks about going fast; few talk about about giving it great "whoa"!

Any idea of the $$$ required to do the front in chrome instead of with black take-offs?

I don't think it makes sense putting black controls on a CVO.

WVULTRA

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 09:27:53 PM »

My Conversion write-up lists individual part numbers if buying everything seperately.

Just sub the Chrome Brembos for the black ones.  And new H-D calipers come with springs/pins/retainers and new factory pads.

:drink:
'07 Ultra Classic
Baisley Stage II Heads
HPI 48 Conversion TB
Rinehart Tru Duals
TTS MasterTune
'08 Brembo Conversion

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 11:22:24 PM »

WVULTRA, I'll send you an email.

What I was most interested in however is the rear. I know Brian said he hasn't heard of it being a problem but I experienced it. (Not saying that you doubt me.) When I applied the rear brake it felt like there was nothing there. The pedal went all the way down. As a matter of fact, Chuck was there when it happened. Of course I like the chrome!

EGUC7

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 11:34:06 PM »

I think we 07 Trike drivers would think the front conversion would be a terrific idea.  We have such enormous stopping power with the rear (2) wheels disc's and wide tires that the front stopping power is "out of balance".  And the thought of more chrome . . .  now if I can just find some dollars!

Ride Safe.
Walt 

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 05:36:04 AM »

If I'm not mistaken, what happened to my brakes is the brake fluid overheated. I'd been riding the brakes a lot and pretty hard, when suddenly the pedal went to the bottom and I had no rear brake at all. After the fluid cooled off, it was fine. I'd never heard of that before. It's definately a weird feeling though.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 06:55:38 AM »

If I'm not mistaken, what happened to my brakes is the brake fluid overheated. I'd been riding the brakes a lot and pretty hard, when suddenly the pedal went to the bottom and I had no rear brake at all. After the fluid cooled off, it was fine. I'd never heard of that before. It's definately a weird feeling though.

Riding the brakes will do that.
It's not that uncommon on a Harley in the twisties.
It will make you pucker the first time you hit the brakes and have none!
Been there done that, gave away the t-shirt.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 07:46:45 AM »

Right! That's exactly how it felt to me. Now the $1200 dollar question is will the Brembo setup fix this?

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 07:54:04 AM »

Right! That's exactly how it felt to me. Now the $1200 dollar question is will the Brembo setup fix this?

Will the 1200 dollars spent keep you from riding your brakes?
If yes then all is well, if no then send me the 1200 and we will stay on your a$$ about riding the rear brake!
Yup! That's right! Me and Nancy are here for you!
You got my mailing address to send the check?

;D

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 07:54:35 AM »

BTW

What are you doing up this early?

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 07:54:46 AM »

I'm no wrench by any means, but I'd think if you ride any set of brakes that much they'd do the same thing. I know what I was doing. I was riding aggressively and braking hard for the next turn, and accelarating hard---to try and catch Nancy. Of course I was leaving Chip in the dust.  ;D NOT.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 07:58:20 AM »

I'm no wrench by any means, but I'd think if you ride any set of brakes that much they'd do the same thing. I know what I was doing. I was riding aggressively and braking hard for the next turn, and accelarating hard---to try and catch Nancy. Of course I was leaving Chip in the dust.  ;D NOT.

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

It's alway a thrill to ride in a group with Ken!

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 08:03:35 AM »

Will the 1200 dollars spent keep you from riding your brakes?
If yes then all is well, if no then send me the 1200 and we will stay on your a$$ about riding the rear brake!
Yup! That's right! Me and Nancy are here for you!
You got my mailing address to send the check?

;D

BTW

What are you doing up this early?

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

You see that's my problem. I had to read that first post twice for it to sink in. My synapse are not firing as quickly this morning. And for a guy that was up until 4, I'm doing pretty good. Now if I was only wake enough to find that KMA emoticon... :huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

sleepybare

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 CVO ULTRA
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 07:58:52 PM »

Im no expert on the subject but my dealer says that the stock Brembos on the 08's are not much better than the HD brakes before with the exception of the anti-lock.  He recommends going with aftermarket Brembos or PM clinchers for better stopping, I run LRB pads in the stock calipers and their floating rotors and have had no problem with fade or lack of brakes

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 08:10:30 PM »

If not Brembos, what would be a 'up-grade' for the heavy dresser?  Are the PM's the way to go for performance as well as 'lookin-good'?  :-\ spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008, 08:15:27 PM »

If not Brembos, what would be a 'up-grade' for the heavy dresser?  Are the PM's the way to go for performance as well as 'lookin-good'?  :-\ spyder

I think he was referring to the stock HD non anti lock brake Brembo's.

I don't think you can beat aftermarket Brembo's straight from Brembo.  My aftermarket Brembo's have tremendous stopping power...the best brakes I ever had on a big twin.  And I had 6 piston PM's on a previous Big Twin.  My opinion is there is no better brake then Brembo on anything....bike or vehicle...   :2vrolijk_21:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2008, 08:18:40 PM »

I think he was referring to the stock HD non anti lock brake Brembo's.

I don't think you can beat aftermarket Brembo's straight from Brembo.  My aftermarket Brembo's have tremendous stopping power...the best brakes I ever had on a big twin.  And I had 6 piston PM's on a previous Big Twin.  My opinion is there is no better brake then Brembo on anything....bike or vehicle...   :2vrolijk_21:

Yeah, what he said!  And it not just the power . . . the feel of the Brembos is incredible.  Transmits everything going on up front and out back to your hand/foot. :2vrolijk_21:

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2008, 08:23:20 PM »

Yeah, what he said!  And it not just the power . . . the feel of the Brembos is incredible.  Transmits everything going on up front and out back to your hand/foot. :2vrolijk_21:

If your looking for difference of feel, try the Traxxion!

:2vrolijk_21:         :2vrolijk_21:         :2vrolijk_21:

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2008, 08:35:18 PM »

I like the differential bore PM's. I have 6-piston on the fronts and 4-piston on the rear. You gotta be careful with the rear. You can lock it up pretty easy with too much pedal! But the braking response is night and day to stock. Chrome or polished, they look great too! I never had Brembos, so I can't compare. But PM's are on all my bikes! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2008, 08:37:40 PM »

I like the differential bore PM's. I have 6-piston on the fronts and 4-piston on the rear. You gotta be careful with the rear. You can lock it up pretty easy with too much pedal! But the braking response is night and day to stock. Chrome or polished, they look great too! I never had Brembos, so I can't compare. But PM's are on all my bikes! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

I had PM six piston differential bore calipers on the front and 4 piston on the rear...sounds much like you have.  I liked them a lot at the time, but (my opinion) is the Brembo's are in another league...  :2vrolijk_21:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2008, 08:39:08 PM »

I had PM six piston differential bore calipers on the front and 4 piston on the rear...sounds much like you have.  I liked them a lot at the time, but (my opinion) is the Brembo's are in another league...  :2vrolijk_21:

Well Scott, maybe Joy might like to try em out! ;) :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2008, 09:16:12 PM »

Well Scott, maybe Joy might like to try em out! ;) :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
Hoist, do they make 'bimbos' to fit the EVO's/older bikes?  :-\ spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2008, 10:54:41 PM »

Hoist, do they make 'bimbos' to fit the EVO's/older bikes?  :-\ spyder

HeHe! Who the hell knows spyde! ??? ;D ;D ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2008, 11:13:08 PM »

Really liked my PM's with the Lyndal pads...great feel on both front and rear, but I also replaced the rear line with a complete braided stainless.  Two finger fronts, and just a touch on the rear when needed.

I had the dual differential bore 4 pistons on front and one 4 on the rear.  No brackets needed for the front, and they look good.  Had the Brembo's on the V and they are also great.

But I'm a suspension and brake guy, even over HP/TQ...If you can't turn or stop when you want to, all the HP in the world ain't going to do any good, so that's first on my list.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2008, 11:15:56 PM »

Really liked my PM's with the Lyndal pads...great feel on both front and rear, but I also replaced the rear line with a complete braided stainless.  Two finger fronts, and just a touch on the rear when needed.

I had the dual differential bore 4 pistons on front and one 4 on the rear.  No brackets needed for the front, and they look good.  Had the Brembo's on the V and they are also great.

But I'm a suspension and brake guy, even over HP/TQ...If you can't turn or stop when you want to, all the HP in the world ain't going to do any good, so that's first on my list.

HeHe!!! I want em all first on my list Terry! ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2008, 11:22:12 PM »

HeHe!!! I want em all first on my list Terry! ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

Having it all is the best of all worlds, Howie!!  I just didn't quite make it there, but I could hold my own in the mountains, even without the engine mods, and I was never really pushing it... ;)  I just used the shifter a bit more, buddy...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2008, 11:47:17 PM »

Having it all is the best of all worlds, Howie!!  I just didn't quite make it there, but I could hold my own in the mountains, even without the engine mods, and I was never really pushing it... ;)  I just used the shifter a bit more, buddy...

Nancy,Chip, & Tommy were trying their best to get me to stop using the brake & use more gears!

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2008, 05:55:21 AM »

Nancy,Chip, & Tommy were trying their best to get me to stop using the brake & use more gears!

AND HogBreath  ;D

sleepybare

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 CVO ULTRA
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2008, 11:03:43 AM »

Sadunbar was correct i was referencing the stock Brembos which the motor company is using. I have never tried Brembos from the after market sector so I have no input about that topic. But the PM's with LRB pads and rotors are a hot ticket for those of us who want to save a few bucks an still have significantly  upgraded  stopping power......Last I heard the top of the line Brembos are about 3 grand installed if some one knows different pass along the info please..........

WVULTRA

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2008, 10:27:42 PM »

Im no expert on the subject but my dealer says that the stock Brembos on the 08's are not much better than the HD brakes before with the exception of the anti-lock.  He recommends going with aftermarket Brembos or PM clinchers for better stopping, I run LRB pads in the stock calipers and their floating rotors and have had no problem with fade or lack of brakes

sleepy:

IMO, after riding several '07 and '06 Ultras, the stock '08 Brembo non-ABS braking system improves braking performance 100%!  Having several hundred miles on an ''06 CVO Ultra, it did have excellent brakes.  But with the standard Ultras, the new Brembo standard system is a tremendous improvement!

If you tested the front brakes on 25 different '07 Ultras, they would have 25 different braking feel and effectiveness.  Have to respectfully disagree with your dealer!

:drink:
'07 Ultra Classic
Baisley Stage II Heads
HPI 48 Conversion TB
Rinehart Tru Duals
TTS MasterTune
'08 Brembo Conversion
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 21 queries.