Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Recall Heads are they worth polishing?  (Read 6982 times)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Recall Heads are they worth polishing?
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 07:45:17 PM »

Mikey,

I will tell them you said hello ..

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 08:24:54 PM »

He supposedly cut a modified 595 gear drive cam for me based on the same request I had. To come on a little lower than the CR595. Bike pulls like a mutha, and I was a few months between using them, so it's difficult to compare. I can't really tell. It's strong from 2500 up!. That's all I care about! But I wonder if he used the same gind on this cam, only chain drive? :confused5: ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2008, 08:41:07 PM »

Howie,

I don't think so, but i will check with him to be sure.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 09:58:40 PM »

Mikey,

I will tell them you said hello ..

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2008, 12:30:41 AM »

Here is my take and recomendations on this. Since the warranty on the motor is important  (to Capo) do not do anything to the heads. Any head mods like porting, polishing, 5-angle seats, radius seats, guides, decking and the like will give the MOCO ample reason to deny any and all warranty claims on the heads or the posibility of future leaking head gaskets. Based on the discussions we had I recommended either the SE-251 cam or the Wood TW-7H cam with my prefered being the Wood product. Both of these cams will carry out longer than the 255 that is in there currently. Also stay with the hydro chain drive, sure gear drive is better but with the runout issues on these cranks its not a good fit without further bottom end work.

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2008, 12:33:58 AM »

Here is my take and recomendations on this. Since the warranty on the motor is important  (to Capo) do not do anything to the heads. Any head mods like porting, polishing, 5-angle seats, radius seats, guides, decking and the like will give the MOCO ample reason to deny any and all warranty claims on the heads or the posibility of future leaking head gaskets. Based on the discussions we had I recommended either the SE-251 cam or the Wood TW-7H cam with my prefered being the Wood product. Both of these cams will carry out longer than the 255 that is in there currently. Also stay with the hydro chain drive, sure gear drive is better but with the runout issues on these cranks its not a good fit without further bottom end work.

Thanks Jim!  Sounds like good advice.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2008, 09:49:48 AM »

Jim you are on target if you are wanting to keep the warranty.  The only part that I might suggest is not going outside of HD for the cam and sticking with the 251.   If something were to fail like a lifter they might come back and blame the cams aggressiveness ... Might still happen with HD 251, but I would think Capo would have a better chance if he stays with the Harley cam.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2008, 10:37:47 AM »

Jim you are on target if you are wanting to keep the warranty.  The only part that I might suggest is not going outside of HD for the cam and sticking with the 251.   If something were to fail like a lifter they might come back and blame the cams aggressiveness ... Might still happen with HD 251, but I would think Capo would have a better chance if he stays with the Harley cam.

Harry, I agree and as you stated any cam other than the 255 could present that problem. The TW7H s actually a slightly lower lift than the 251 (.575 vs. .579). Duration is a bit less as well......The TW7H is just a better fitting cam for the riding style he is after.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2008, 01:36:04 PM »

Jim,

That maybe true, but then you run into that W word again.   I would ask the dealer if they ok the Woods cam to put it in writing that they will stand behind it.  If they won't you quickly know where you stand.   Cause if your screwed by the cam might as well be screwed all the way and enjoy it or decide an alternative that you can live with and the dealer can live with.

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2008, 07:35:33 PM »

I was thinking about doing cams also when they do my product enhancement. What will the SE 251 cams do for a stock 110. I have fatcats, high flow & race tuner.
Will they give me more HP & torque, i was looking for some more lope on engine sound as well hp & trq.
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2008, 08:21:55 PM »

I was thinking about doing cams also when they do my product enhancement. What will the SE 251 cams do for a stock 110. I have fatcats, high flow & race tuner.
Will they give me more HP & torque, i was looking for some more lope on engine sound as well hp & trq.

That's just what it needs! That cam is the one to use if staying with HD! The bike will wake up nicely with that combo! Go for it! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2008, 09:07:08 PM »

What do SE 251 cams go for. Whats usual charge to change out. Guess dealer needs to do it. How hard a job is it.????
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2008, 10:56:18 PM »

cam is about 279.

4 to 6 hours of labor

I would suggest the following as well

new cam chest bearings

new lifters stock not screaming eagles

S&S adjustable pushrods not perfect fits :)

check oil pump for scarring and might want to put in the Baisley spring while your in there.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2008, 01:45:53 AM »

I would suggest the following as well

new lifters stock not screaming eagles

Why is that?

S&S adjustable push rods not perfect fits :)

?
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2008, 01:38:39 PM »

Porthole,

New stock Lifters as they have a lot less noise than the SE ones and because your changing the cam and it is cheap insurance to not have issues.

S&S pushrods as they have less flex than the Screaming Eagle adjustables, none of the perfect fits in either of the 2 x I have used them have ever been quiet whether with 204 cam or a 251 cam.  I put in adjustables and and the noise went away.   

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.458 seconds with 21 queries.