Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Assembling Cylinders & Pistons  (Read 2930 times)

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
Assembling Cylinders & Pistons
« on: January 14, 2009, 03:55:15 PM »

here's a method that I 'think' that I'm gonna try when I put her back together ......
I just want to be careful that I don't damage one of the rings doing it without a ring compressor

any thoughts on this method ?

TIMindator ?   LOL

http://www.nrhsperformance.com/tech_cylinderassembly.shtml

2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Assembling Cylinders & Pistons
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 04:03:52 PM »

here's a method that I 'think' that I'm gonna try when I put her back together ......
I just want to be careful that I don't damage one of the rings doing it without a ring compressor

any thoughts on this method ?

TIMindator ?   LOL

http://www.nrhsperformance.com/tech_cylinderassembly.shtml

Mikey, do you have Torque Plates? Are you honing and recrosshatching the cylinders, and fitting the new pistons to the cylinders? I assume so, cause you should be. Do you have what you need to measure the cam end play, which an Evo needs done? If you don't have the tools, you might want to have whomever's doing the work on the barrels install the pistons, rings and barrels, and whatever else you're not tooled for. Just a thought. Don't know your tooling or capabilities at all. But read the SM for Top End Assembly procedure to see what other special things you'll need. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 04:34:28 PM »

Mikey, do you have Torque Plates? Are you honing and recrosshatching the cylinders, and fitting the new pistons to the cylinders? I assume so, cause you should be. Do you have what you need to measure the cam end play, which an Evo needs done? If you don't have the tools, you might want to have whomever's doing the work on the barrels install the pistons, rings and barrels, and whatever else you're not tooled for. Just a thought. Don't know your tooling or capabilities at all. But read the SM for Top End Assembly procedure to see what other special things you'll need. ;)

Thanks !!

Hoist! 8)

heck no man, I don't have any of the 'SPECIAL' tools required
some of the tools I am 'borrowing', some of them I'm going to get from Auto Zone in their 'free tool loan' program

I'm going to have the cylinders bore .005 over and put 5 over pistons in it

I'm going buy HD 5 over pistons, ship the cylinders and pistons to Bean at Big Boyz
Bean will have the cylinders bored to fit the pistons and will mark the pairs for me
Bean will gap and install the rings on the pistons

I haven't ask him to install the pistons in the cylinders, two reasons (and I MIGHT CHANGE MY MIND)
  1) I'm confident that I can do this myself

2) I want to KNOW FOR A FACT that the cylinder is perfectly clean before the pistons go in. If I clean them myself, I'll know for a fact how throughly they were cleaned.

Measure cam end play ..... I have read about this, and know that it needs to be checked, especially in EVOs getting after market cams. I've read several places that for whatever the reason, that aftermarket cams for the EVOs are usually between .030 - .050 shorter than stock, so you have to put a shim stock between the cam and the thrust washer.  I am pretty sure that I can do this.

The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 04:37:49 PM »

I don't know about the goop on the base, but that's the way I'm doing mine too. Others on this site have installed them this way, sadunbar did his like this.

Good luck Craig
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 04:41:07 PM by Talon »

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 04:40:51 PM »

some of the tools I am 'borrowing', some of them I'm going to get from Auto Zone in their 'free tool loan' program

I'm going buy HD 5 over pistons, ship the cylinders and pistons to Bean at Big Boyz
Bean will have the cylinders bored to fit the pistons and will mark the pairs for me

I haven't ask him to install the pistons in the cylinders, two reasons (and I MIGHT CHANGE MY MIND)

2) I want to KNOW FOR A FACT that the cylinder is perfectly clean before the pistons go in. If I clean them myself, I'll know for a fact how throughly they were cleaned.

Measure cam end play ..... I have read about this, and know that it needs to be checked, especially in EVOs getting after market cams. I've read several places that for whatever the reason, that aftermarket cams for the EVOs are usually between .030 - .050 shorter than stock, so you have to put a shim stock between the cam and the thrust washer.  I am pretty sure that I can do this.

Plus, you want to lube the rings just before you install the piston into the cylinder.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 04:46:29 PM »

Thought I'd point that stuff out Mike. Bean will setup the P's&C's for ya fine I'm sure. And putting the jugs on at home is fairly easy. Ring compressor is cheap to rent or easily borrowed. Sounds like you've done your homework and are prepared for everything. And we all know, this chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!! ;D ;) :2vrolijk_21:

I don't know about the goop on the base, but that's the way I'm doing mine too. Others on this site have installed them this way, sadunbar did his like this.

Good luck Craig

Ya might wany to listen to this. Evo's were notorius for base gasket leaks. We goop em, even if they say you don't need to! ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 05:23:27 PM »

Good luck Craig

HeHe!!! That was to our TC 110's, which have O-Ring BG's!!! We used the O-Rings AND the Base Gaskets w/Goop!!! To make sure our 110's never leaked at the BG's, we did it EVO STYLE!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 05:39:05 PM »

HeHe!!! That was to our TC 110's, which have O-Ring BG's!!! We used the O-Rings AND the Base Gaskets w/Goop!!! To make sure our 110's never leaked at the BG's, we did it EVO STYLE!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

:D :D :D
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 12:47:28 AM »

Mikey;
There is a local Machine shop here called Hannan's. They have been doing HD heads and barrels for 30+ years. They have some "special" base gaskets that they had made years ago that work excellent. I have used them on many builds and not had base leaks or weaping. Let me know if you'd like to get a set.

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 09:02:40 AM »

Mikey;
There is a local Machine shop here called Hannan's. They have been doing HD heads and barrels for 30+ years. They have some "special" base gaskets that they had made years ago that work excellent. I have used them on many builds and not had base leaks or weaping. Let me know if you'd like to get a set.

HD - Thanks .... currently I do not have my base gaskets 'in hand'.
I'm planning to install James gaskets (JGI-16777-94) on the bases.  These gaskets are metal with a bead and have a crush factor of .002

Now, you have my lil mind thinking ......  it'd be interesting to 'experiment' using the ones that you mention.   I'm sure that it's not much 'risk', given that you have experience with
those gaskets, and have had excellent success with them.

I'll consider it, Thanks !
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.