Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Swing arm concerns on 09's (Water) Rust  (Read 5506 times)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Swing arm concerns on 09's (Water) Rust
« on: July 02, 2009, 12:35:18 AM »

Here ya go,

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Re: Swing arm concerns on 09's (Water) Rust
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 11:47:59 AM »

What a lame response on the MOCO's part.  They aren't even recommending to seal the hole in front of the swingarm.  I'm wondering now where the brake attachments are that they mentioned and wonder if the water is also getting in through there, and whether those also need some silicone to seal those.  It just seems like a lousy attempt to repair the situation.  So far, I haven't seen any additional drainage problems since I sealed that front hole.  I didn't go as far as drilling a hole, since I didn't see a need for it if you cover the hole where the water is getting in to start with.  I'm glad that I went ahead and resolved this myself now, instead of waiting for the MOCO to step up.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 05:18:56 PM »

What a lame response on the MOCO's part.  They aren't even recommending to seal the hole in front of the swingarm.  I'm wondering now where the brake attachments are that they mentioned and wonder if the water is also getting in through there, and whether those also need some silicone to seal those.  It just seems like a lousy attempt to repair the situation.  So far, I haven't seen any additional drainage problems since I sealed that front hole.  I didn't go as far as drilling a hole, since I didn't see a need for it if you cover the hole where the water is getting in to start with.  I'm glad that I went ahead and resolved this myself now, instead of waiting for the MOCO to step up.

I agree, your fix is much better than the MoCo's fix.  Better to keep the crap out to start with, than to just make it into a "flow-thru" system.  You might want to do the MoCo version as well, just to be sure nothing can build up inside.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JerseyT

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 10:47:29 PM »

Thanks for posting the factory tech sheet.  Decided to remove my belt guard this afternoon to check it out.  As soon as the bolts were loosened enough for the belt guard to separate from the bottom of the swing arm, about 4-5 ounces of rusty water came out of the hole in front of the center bolt that was being blocked by the guard.  Drilled a hole in the belt guard as per the tech sheet, coated the 3 bolts with anti-seize and reinstalled all.  Need to pick up a tube of silicone and will seal possible water ingress holes.  Was surprised by the amount of rusty water that came out.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 02:19:43 AM »

Does anyone know where the two upper holes for the brake line retention clips are located?  All along I have been having a problem understanding how any quantity of water is getting inside that swingarm in that one little hole at the front side.  Apparently there are 2 more places for water to get in, and we haven't been doing anything to seal those.  If anyone has a clue where they are, let us know.  I may check it out when I happen to remember and see if those are something else that can be sealed.  Since I sealed that front hole, I haven't had any more rusty water running out though.  I'll take a look in the shop manual also and see if I might find just what other holes they are talking about.

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 Ultra Classic Ruby Red / Maroon (traded in)
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Mako Fade
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 10:29:15 AM »

I beg to differ with the MOCO position that "This is a cosmetic concern and not an indication of an internal issue". The rust (iron oxide) we are seeing at one time was the steel our swingarm is made of. This is one component of our motorcycle, I certainly don't want to see slowly being converted to rust. This is a lot of rust for a low milage / new design. Long term?, who knows. Do they need to wait for someones catastrophic failure to correct this properly?
Tom P.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 11:05:54 AM »

I beg to differ with the MOCO position that "This is a cosmetic concern and not an indication of an internal issue". The rust (iron oxide) we are seeing at one time was the steel our swingarm is made of. This is one component of our motorcycle, I certainly don't want to see slowly being converted to rust. This is a lot of rust for a low milage / new design. Long term?, who knows. Do they need to wait for someones catastrophic failure to correct this properly?
Tom P.

Based on the historical evidence, I would say the answer to that rhetorical question is a definite YES.  Until they've been sued repeatedly and it starts costing them some major coin, there doesn't seem to be too much about safety that concerns my good buddies at the MoCo.  It only took them 30 years to work up a partial fix for the handling/wobble issues on the Touring frames, for instance.  Engines locking up due to junk crankshafts didn't worry them, front tires severely cupping in 5000 miles doesn't seem to be worrying them, etc.

BTW, if a little surface rust really bothers any of you guys all that much, I would recommend that you never crawl under your car or truck and look around very closely.  Especially the folks living in the snow and salt belt.  You may have a heart attack.  Oh, and don't look inside any of the frame tubes on your Harley either.

IMHO, I would seal all the openings in the swingarm (after thoroughly blowing all the crud and moisture out) except the drain hole.  Then I would ride and ignore the little bit of surface blush rust that's going to be in there no matter what you do, at the same time that I'm ignoring the same kind of rust in the frame tubes.  When the frame or swingarm starts to sag, that's Harley's way of telling you it's time to buy a new bike.  Another alternative would be to buy one of the many alternative brands that have aluminum swingarms.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 11:28:28 PM »

Based on the historical evidence, I would say the answer to that rhetorical question is a definite YES.  Until they've been sued repeatedly and it starts costing them some major coin, there doesn't seem to be too much about safety that concerns my good buddies at the MoCo.  It only took them 30 years to work up a partial fix for the handling/wobble issues on the Touring frames, for instance.  Engines locking up due to junk crankshafts didn't worry them, front tires severely cupping in 5000 miles doesn't seem to be worrying them, etc.

BTW, if a little surface rust really bothers any of you guys all that much, I would recommend that you never crawl under your car or truck and look around very closely.  Especially the folks living in the snow and salt belt.  You may have a heart attack.  Oh, and don't look inside any of the frame tubes on your Harley either.

IMHO, I would seal all the openings in the swingarm (after thoroughly blowing all the crud and moisture out) except the drain hole.  Then I would ride and ignore the little bit of surface blush rust that's going to be in there no matter what you do, at the same time that I'm ignoring the same kind of rust in the frame tubes.  When the frame or swingarm starts to sag, that's Harley's way of telling you it's time to buy a new bike.  Another alternative would be to buy one of the many alternative brands that have aluminum swingarms.

Jerry

No doubt, a top notch response.  Especially the part about looking under your car and seeing all the rust under there.  Why aren't we demanding that all of the car manufacturers put a plastic barrier under the car so no water can get at the frame rails on our cars?  Because we expect it.  We are more anal about our bikes than we are with our cars...a generalization anyway.  I suppose there are quite a few out there that are the same way with the car, but I for one don't flinch when I see all the rust on the underside of my car.  If it's visible riding down the road, that's another story.  I think GRC made an excellent point.  However, with the rust running out of the opening on the belt guard, that is visible and taking steps to prevent that is probably a worthy effort regardless of who we are talking about here.

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 01:14:44 PM »

I magine everyone has found the two brake line clip holes by now but just in case they're on the right side of the swingarm and there is 2 holes with plastic clips holding the brake line and wheel speed wire. The clips pop down in the holes. :thumbsdown:
I'm thinking I'll just remove the clips,  seal the holes and use a wire tie behind the side cover to secure the wire and brake line.

Beary

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 02:36:30 PM »

After looking at the picture in the attachment of the original post, I don't know of a single CVO owner that would not get annoyed, if not down right angry, at the rust dripping off their swing arm and belt guard like the rust in the picture. I typically look over the whole bike when I wash them and have never seen the rust we are talking about here. I usually only find rust where the paint was chipped off. Normal rust is one thing, but the rust were are talking about here would even concern me on a dirt bike.

Beary

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 08:26:58 PM »

Here is my "water in the swingarm fix"  removed the plastic clips,  epoxied the holes and put a wire tie holder over the top to secure the brake line and wheel sensor wire.  This is a pic from inside the swingarm.

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
Swing arm tech tip.
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 10:09:49 AM »

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
Re: Swing arm tech tip.
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 10:11:31 AM »

You can have this done while your bike is in for other updates, had mine done.  Doc

09S/E roadglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • lead, follow or get out of the way !

• CVO1: 09 S/E roadglide org. and black
Re: Swing arm tech tip.
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 08:36:02 AM »

Thats a good one thanks. :2vrolijk_21:
a.k.a  Dent Dude

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 10:05:32 PM »

Sealed the hole today will remove wire clips and seal them in the am...............

Silver RG 2016

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 09:51:11 AM »

After looking at the picture in the attachment of the original post, I don't know of a single CVO owner that would not get annoyed, if not down right angry, at the rust dripping off their swing arm and belt guard like the rust in the picture. I typically look over the whole bike when I wash them and have never seen the rust we are talking about here. I usually only find rust where the paint was chipped off. Normal rust is one thing, but the rust were are talking about here would even concern me on a dirt bike.

Beary
I totally agree, I own a 2016 CVO RG. Love it and couldn't ask for more from a fine machine until I get to the RUST part!  YEP... it's there and they (dealership) has called MOCO. First response.. First time we heard of this... well "LIE NUMBER 1"  second.. we'll have to see pictures..... Hmmm If I didn't know any better Willie would flip if he knew the kind of answers his people are giving out... We shall see what happens... there's another small problem.. but I'll post that later... Wondering? L inner fairing glove box wont close like the right side. Now won't close at all!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 11:57:27 AM »

Did you do the dealership the courtesy of printing out the Harley document from 9 years ago when they said they'd never heard of this before?

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2018, 08:47:07 AM »

is this for 2009 models only!! other years affected??!!  :'(

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2018, 09:01:00 AM »

I totally agree, I own a 2016 CVO RG. Love it and couldn't ask for more from a fine machine until I get to the RUST part!  YEP... it's there and they (dealership) has called MOCO. First response.. First time we heard of this... well "LIE NUMBER 1"  second.. we'll have to see pictures..... Hmmm If I didn't know any better Willie would flip if he knew the kind of answers his people are giving out... We shall see what happens... there's another small problem.. but I'll post that later... Wondering? L inner fairing glove box wont close like the right side. Now won't close at all!

How long have you owned this bike and are you the original owner?  Is it still covered under the factory warranty?  What did the dealership say about the glove box door, or haven't you mentioned it to them yet?

Jerry

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 21 queries.