Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Thinking about starting a new life  (Read 4131 times)

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
Re: Thinking about starting a new life
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 08:25:53 AM »

I am truly sorry.

What I would do doesn't matter, it's what you have to do to be right.
No big decisions for 1 year is the best advise one could give, so I will second it.

Advise...... that would be hard to give as well but you did ask and I will give it a shot.

Keep the house..... financially you can afford it.

Go ahead and get the trailer you spoke of and take off and Ride......Ride some more......Get it out of your system.

Go places you want to go and hang around for a while, then move to the next.

If you can do this for a period of time, go back home and make the decisions that suite your new life.

Do not put yourself in a financial situation that burdens the rest of your life.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.....there are probably more people here behind you then you think.

2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 11:41:56 AM »

I also offer my sincerest condolences. It's got to be tough...

That said, I too would recommend holding off on any rash decisions. The one thing that you have to consider is, even though we'd seen a bit of a bump on home values, they will come back up and over the long run always appreciate for the most part. However, trailers, campers, toyhaulers all depreciate rather rapidly.  A $70K trailer new will be worth 1/2 that in 5 years, where the 150K in equity now in the house, at the bottom of the recession, could double in value during that same 5 years.  $35K at age 68 vs $300K?  Seems to be a no brainer.

Imho, give careful consideration over keeping the house and getting a small trailer that will just suit your needs. If you can find something a couple of years old reasonable, you won't take the hit the first owner did. If you like it, you can always upgrade later.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 12:09:39 PM »

Very sorry for your loss, Azsse. 

I echo all the comments above and only add to consider renting the house out rather than sell.  It's not a great time to sell in most areas and it gives you more options down the road, not to mention some additional rental income and tax benefits....  Good luck with your new life! 

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 12:31:04 PM »

I'll weigh in, and it's pretty similar to what others have said.  Don't make any life-changing decisions right away; you've already just gone through one such situation.  If after you've spent some time on the road you find you like it, I would look for a place where I could be away without having any worries about it, no grass to mow, won't be a bunch of squatters living it when you come back, someplace you can just lock the door and go.  You may find it in one of the places you visit.  Time does ease the pain.  Keep busy and don't isolate yourself.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 12:52:37 PM »

My deepest condolences on your loss, I can't begin to imagine what you've been going thru.

In jest I've told my kids (last one is 18 in a month) if anything ever happens to your mother, I'm selling everything, moving to St John and buying a place on the beach.  I'll pick up a scoot there and sip Mojitos in a chair on the beach, bring the Grandkids down to visit once in a while if you would.  While I do say it in jest, it might just not be far from the truth.

Honestly, if this is something you've been thinking about over the past year, you've likely taken in all the considerations and are just ready to do it.  While waiting might be a wise decision, we don't always gain the most joy from the wisest of decisions.

Sometimes in life when things don't go so nice,
ladies and gentleman take my advice,
pull down your pants and slide on the ice......Sidney Freedman

yort4041

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE3 Black Ice
    • CVO2: Big Dog PitBull
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 02:03:55 PM »

Very sorry for your loss. I agree with some of the others, let a little time pass before you make any definite decisions.

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 04:36:42 PM »

Azsse,

I'm glad to hear your wife is no longer suffering.  That must have lifted a huge burden from your shoulders.  Since the Arizona housing market is horrendous, I'll echo what others are saying- keep the house currently.  You can still travel and watch the housing market to see when it's right to sell.  I don't think we've seen the bottom yet, but eventually it will start to climb.  As far as the trailer- GO FOR IT!  I recently purchased a coach and trailer to pull the bikes in.  We are already traveling to see the better areas of the country without having to ride there to do it.  Sometimes I miss the riding there, but it's REALLY nice having "home" right in the middle of great riding areas.  You should be able to find some great buys on a toythauler that your Avalanche will pull quite nicely.  Look for a convertible- where the main bed is above the bike.  It will make for a smaller trailer, which is easier to pull.  Your wife will enjoy the traveling, as I'm sure she will be your guardian.

If you want any "rving" advice, send me a pm and we can chat about that end of things.  I looked at the toyhaulers for quite a while, before buying the coach.

See ya on the road!
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

JeffsHogPen

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2001 FLHR
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 05:31:51 PM »

I am so so sorry for your lose. I could feel the pain in your word written. Please take time to grieve. Everything after that will fall in persecutive. One does not know what to really say until they live and go through the same situation. I will hold you in my prayers......Jeff
Hookem¨Horns!!!!!

Firechief2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCU3
    • Calgary Red Knights
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 07:21:09 PM »

Azsse - third picture of beer is on me (at my NY location).
Roy J
Past President Calgary Red Knights
Deputy Chief (retired) SFD

T MAC

• Elite CVO Member
  • FREEDOM

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 - B/O
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 07:41:11 PM »

Azzse - I also am Very Sorry for your loss.  There already has been alot of suggestions from the heart given here to you and all of them are very good- I would echo most of what has been said and would only want to add no matter what choice or choices you make stay connected as you are doing right now. 

There are alot of support groups and people out there that have meetings, blogs and chat rooms that can be a part of your journey, just as I hope we are no matter where your travels lead. 

If you want to head North for a while, I have a condo that you are welcome to stay in anytime. :2vrolijk_21:

Our Thoughts and Prayers are with you, Tracy
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2018, 10:47:45 PM »

I often wonder how this turned out. Hope he found peace.

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2018, 11:24:02 PM »

This may be an old thread but unfortunately it is relevant to far to many people every day. I hope he is doing well and helping others.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.