Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone Use This HD FXR Windshield?  (Read 4415 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Anyone Use This HD FXR Windshield?
« on: August 02, 2009, 01:38:33 PM »

This is  not a quick detachable. It appears to have brackets that mount to the handlebars. But it looks pretty decent and it says it's made for '99-'00 FXR's. Anyone using it yet? ???

I don't have a windshield on any of my street bikes. But now that we're talking about an FXR GTG, I'll need one for a longer trip on Joy, since she'll be making this trip, not Cybil! It doesn't appear to kill the bikes looks to badly. But does it work OK as protection? Thanks gang! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! :coolblue:

HD FXR Sport Windshield Kit

This lightly smoked Lexan® windshield includes chrome-plated bracketry and attachment hardware for a custom look. Installation is clean and simple.

58024-96A

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.

Fits '96-later XL Custom and '87-'94 FXLR models. Also fits '99-'00 FXR models. Windshield dimensions: Overall height 19.1"; height above headlamp 17"; width 16.3".

Lightly Smoked

MSRP US $169.95
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 02:36:26 PM by Hoist! »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Anyone Use This HD FXR Windshield?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 06:06:46 PM »

I'm not chasing you all over the internet to give you the answer     :coolblue:
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 03:13:37 PM »

I'm not chasing you all over the internet to give you the answer     :coolblue:

HeHe!!! I can't be far either way Mikey!!! ;D

As I thought, there should be no reason not to be able to use any detachable W/S made for 39mm forks. So, I ordered a HD Quick-Release Detachable Compact Windshield - Standard Height. There are 2 Standard Height Models, one clear (P/N 58063-04), and one lightly smoked (P/N 58601-04). I ordered the lightly smoked model. I hope it looks good, as well as performs well on Joy!!!  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Quick-Release Detachable Compact Windshield - Standard-Height

"Combine the classic Harley-Davidson® windshield shape with a revolutionary new attachment system, and you have the best of style and function. The windshield mounts to the fork tubes with elegant die-cast lever-release clamps, so the windshield does not require any "leave-behind" docking hardware. You get quick on-and-off convenience, and a clean, custom look. No tools are required, and the kit includes everything needed to install the windshielditional chrome horizontal and vertical braces. Patented.

This product is available in multiple variations. Be sure to look for the one that fits the specific model and year of your motorcycle.

58063-04

Fits '88-later XL and '91-'05 Dyna® models (except FXDWG and FXDXT). Windshield dimensions: Overall height 26.8"; height above headlamp 18.3", width 19.7".

Clear

MSRP US $349.95

58601-04

Fits '88-later XL and '91-'05 Dyna® models (except FXDWG and FXDXT). Windshield dimensions: Overall height 26.8"; height above headlamp 18.3"; width 19.7".

Lightly Smoked

MSRP US $384.95"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 02:38:19 PM »

58164-96A    39 MM Detachable             55.96                             09-24-2002          Put On FXDL      
                         Hardware Kit For Win                                                                                          
58112-96      Detachable Winshield        227.96                             09-24-2002          Put On FXDL

After I sold the 2003 FXDL I took the above and placed it all on my 99 FXR2.  Everything works perfectly.
The prices above were of course OEM pricing for 2002 I paid less since I went through Jenni at Hales where she was located at the time.

Howie looks like you found a better price for what you selected but for anyone else here is another alternative.  You are right about finding any windshield visually distracting to the "visual lines" of an FXR, but when traveling heck who cares.....BESIDES Mikey finds it appropriate to ride with a CHICKEN LIKE THIS....so what can one say....

Perhaps QUACK QUACK....nah that's the wrong farm animal.....I knew spending time with my grand kids would prove beneficial in the lonnnnnnng run!!!  LOL

Let us know how that works for you.....I think the "quick release" feature of the one you are purchasing has some definite appeal, as you know from above the set up I just mentioned above leaves behind the attachments for the windshield on a permanent basis.

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 02:45:29 PM by FXR2evo99 »

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 06:25:00 PM »

58164-96A    39 MM Detachable             55.96                             09-24-2002          Put On FXDL      
                         Hardware Kit For Win                                                                                          
58112-96      Detachable Winshield        227.96                             09-24-2002          Put On FXDL

After I sold the 2003 FXDL I took the above and placed it all on my 99 FXR2.  Everything works perfectly.
The prices above were of course OEM pricing for 2002 I paid less since I went through Jenni at Hales where she was located at the time.

Howie looks like you found a better price for what you selected but for anyone else here is another alternative.  You are right about finding any windshield visually distracting to the "visual lines" of an FXR, but when traveling heck who cares.....BESIDES Mikey finds it appropriate to ride with a CHICKEN LIKE THIS....so what can one say....

Perhaps QUACK QUACK....nah that's the wrong farm animal.....I knew spending time with my grand kids would prove beneficial in the lonnnnnnng run!!!  LOL

Let us know how that works for you.....I think the "quick release" feature of the one you are purchasing has some definite appeal, as you know from above the set up I just mentioned above leaves behind the attachments for the windshield on a permanent basis.

Regards,

Tim

hey, what's that chicken doing in your sig pic  ?   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 06:35:07 PM »

Hardware Kit For Win                                                                                          

Regards,

Tim

Hey Tim, sure will get some pics. I got it from Jenni for $280 +shipping. So same ballpark as the one you refer to. The newer style looks pretty decent. And since they make this style for most of their bikes now, I don't believe the other is available. The Dyna Convertible W/S is also obsolete. I'm pretty sure yours is too, as I bought the only HD detachable made for 39mm in chrome, w/o aux lights! They make it in 2 heights. I got the standard height! Just need to see how badly it destroys Joy's great lines! She's very sensitive about that, that Joy is!!! :D :D :D ;)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 08:24:51 PM »

OK, got the new W/S today. Looks good. You have to assemble the detachable clamps to the W/S brackets yourself. No biggie. Then they just clamp onto the fork legs to put it on. As they say, it leaves no detachable hardware behind at all. I like that. I'll get to putting it together and on the bike for some pics for youze. I have no immediate plans to use it right now. It'll be for trips. But it looks like a good part to me so far. :2vrolijk_21:

It's definitely made for FXR's as well as Sporty's and Dyna's. FXR's are mentioned right in the instructions. Depending on your model and handlebar type, you might need to relocate one or all of the following: clutch cable, brake line, throttle cables. Everything needs to be INSIDE the handlebars. Most times these are outside on our bikes. I have apes and the stuff is long enough on Joy to iust move them inboard when I wanna use the W/S, so no rerouting necessary for me. Joy's bullet T/S's mounted directly to the triple tree, might need addressing, but not sure yet if that'll be necessary or not. I'll cross that bridge when I get there. ;)

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.