Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil temperatur guage ... which one ?  (Read 1288 times)

Two Wheels

• Junior CVO Member
Oil temperatur guage ... which one ?
« on: August 06, 2009, 09:56:59 AM »

Gents:

Ive read so many of the posts.   Still, I cant come up with a final answer.   Is there one final product out there that is a reliable oil temperature gauge or measure that is accurate and holds up?    Every options seems to have some type of weakness.   Has anyone found an oil temp gauge that actually works accurately ?  What brand?   model for the 110 engine (CVO Road King 2007)?  I don't know, maybe I missed a post or two.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
Re: Oil temperatur guage ... which one ?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 11:20:52 AM »

Just installed the HD unit last week.  So far, so good.  Seems to be fairly accurate.  All the comments you will find concerning the brightness of the guage at night are true.  Very dim.  The numbers are not transparent like the other guages.  Came with reducer to install in oil pan.  Hardest part was gauge install.  Need small hands, unless someone on the forum knows a secret.
TTS Mastertune - Doc's Performance Tuning
Supertrapp 2:1 Supermeg
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
LED Headlight & Driving Lights from HD

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 11:39:24 AM »

Just installed the HD unit last week.  So far, so good.  Seems to be fairly accurate.  All the comments you will find concerning the brightness of the guage at night are true.  Very dim.  The numbers are not transparent like the other guages.  Came with reducer to install in oil pan.  Hardest part was gauge install.  Need small hands, unless someone on the forum knows a secret.
Agree, small hands with long skinny fingers. ;D Just went through this myself. I don't know how accurate these gauges are as I remember someone had both gauge and dipstick type and there was 30 degrees difference but could have been placement of sensor. Put mine right next to oil drain bolt.

Two Wheels

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 11:45:13 AM »

So, do you think the guage is just as good ?   Or are we hesitant about the aftermarket dip stick like guages ?   WOuld be a cheaper, easier option ... ?   But it is accurate ?   Which brand ?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 11:56:27 AM »

So, do you think the guage is just as good ?   Or are we hesitant about the aftermarket dip stick like guages ?   WOuld be a cheaper, easier option ... ?   But it is accurate ?   Which brand ?

The fairing mounted gauge I think they are describing won't help on your Road King.  The dipstick version will be an option.  Many use it.  A small number have problems.  Overall not really too bad.  Or mounting a mini-gauge on a top clamp bracket.  Many options there including mounting multiple gauges.  Just have to find something small enough to clear the windshield.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 12:14:41 PM »

The fairing mounted gauge I think they are describing won't help on your Road King.  The dipstick version will be an option.  Many use it.  A small number have problems.  Overall not really too bad.  Or mounting a mini-gauge on a top clamp bracket.  Many options there including mounting multiple gauges.  Just have to find something small enough to clear the windshield.

On my SERK, I use the HD Micro Gauges on my riser clamp cover right now for Oil Pressure and Voltage. I searched and found an Oil Temp gauge for it too, and will change the Voltage gauge if necessary. But after 2-1/2 years, my Temp/Level Dipstick is still functioning OK. The HD Micro Gauges are now unfortunately obsolete. They are the only ones that will work with the W/S with a Storage Bag. ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 12:47:44 PM »

I think the dipstick gauges were like most things HD has been coming out with lately.  The first ones suck and fail, then they quietly make a change and the later ones are better.  My first (as well as many others) failed within a short time.  Some got oil in the display, some water, some just quit, a few actually broke in half.  Now it seems they are doing okay.  My replacement one has been working for about a year and a half, but I don't use it that often, maybe a few times a month.  I don't see the high oil temps like when the bike was new, so there isn't as much need to check it.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 02:05:44 PM »

On my SERK, I use the HD Micro Gauges on my riser clamp cover right now for Oil Pressure and Voltage. I searched and found an Oil Temp gauge for it too, and will change the Voltage gauge if necessary. But after 2-1/2 years, my Temp/Level Dipstick is still functioning OK. The HD Micro Gauges are now unfortunately obsolete. They are the only ones that will work with the W/S with a Storage Bag. ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:

Dakota Digitial has some 1.875" mini gauges and mounting bracketry.  I know, I know, if it's not Harley you just won't use it. But there are other options ::) .

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 21 queries.