Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Anyone looking at a True-Track?  (Read 7483 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Anyone looking at a True-Track?
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2009, 08:41:03 AM »

Interesting Note in HD-M1246 Service Bulletin titled "2009 Touring Steering Head Bearing Adjustment"

"NOTE
A steering head that is too tight can interfere with the
vehicle's ability to absorb a weave. A steering head that is
too loose can interfere with the vehicle's ability to absorb a
wobble."

Something to pay attention to here. Neck bearing adjustment plays a major role in these bike's setups. Don't assume yours is correct. The only way to know that's correct is to have it adjusted properly. If have issues, start there first! ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2009, 08:49:17 AM »

Bagger Brace is much cheaper and works good on my Ultra.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

09S/E roadglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • lead, follow or get out of the way !

• CVO1: 09 S/E roadglide org. and black
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2009, 08:59:21 AM »

Interesting Note in HD-M1246 Service Bulletin titled "2009 Touring Steering Head Bearing Adjustment"

"NOTE
A steering head that is too tight can interfere with the
vehicle's ability to absorb a weave. A steering head that is
too loose can interfere with the vehicle's ability to absorb a
wobble."

Something to pay attention to here. Neck bearing adjustment plays a major role in these bike's setups. Don't assume yours is correct. The only way to know that's correct is to have it adjusted properly. If have issues, start there first! ;)

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: we hope to start there first

a.k.a  Dent Dude

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2009, 10:40:21 AM »

Terry, we're talking about the 09 and 10 baggers.  I think we all agree that some bikes of the previous years did have an issue. 
:oops:

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2009, 11:17:05 AM »

Again, nobody with an 09/10 MY bagger is reporting the same issue.  Of course, many of us that had the earlier years of baggers (my 04 SEEG) had the rubber mount but didn't have the issue.....but with the 09/10, nobody is reporting it.  Go ride one Talon.......then get your check book out. :2vrolijk_21:  

There's a reason for all the raves about the handling on the 09/10 MY and I don't think it's because the MoCo is saving money.  I could care less that they're saving money.....it's the great handling compared to earlier years.  Even compared to my 04 SEEG.....that I didn't have a handling problem with.  The difference in handling could be compared to a Ford or Chevy compared to BMW.  Go find out for yourselves.  Remember, as I reported in Terrie's 09 Street Glide thread, I didn't plan on buying a new bike..........till I experienced the ride difference first hand.  Many others here have reported the same thing.

JC, tell my wife I need another bike!  :P

I'm not saying that the new frame isn't better, but did they do something to the rubber bushings? I can't find anything in any of the spec's. Maybe they changed them, did something like the Sta-bro bushings did for the older bushings?? The addition of another mount may also help.

On the older frame I notice it more on long sweepers, and low to medium speeds. I think the harder turns pin it as far as the bushings will allow twist, so you feel it going into and out of the turn, but not as much weaving through the turn.  

Craig

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2009, 11:37:33 AM »

I have an 09 with traxxion and bitubos. This weekend I was in north GA and we were on 515 headed north. Not much Traffic and we were playin around, I was at about 110mph and started to lean into a corner, not a bad one but at 110 I did have to lean in. The bike went into a severe wobble and there wasnt anthing I could do except ride it out ! Now Im not sure what caused this but my back tire has started to cup and i havent had the TQ in the neck checked yet but it was enough to scare the crud out of me. I never had a problem with this bike before and had it in that same situation on the same road several times before. Im taking it in this week and HOPEFULLY a new back tire and I find out the neck is loose. But just short of that Ill just have to say I was beyond the bike limits and I found that line ! :'(  Yes I can assure you that you could not hammer a needle in my hinney !!!  :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:  Ill let yall know next week.

I hope it wasn't that first long left hand sweep past the BP and the church on the right... at 100+ you'll find yourself in the clouds looking down on the mess below. Was taking Wolf Pen two weekends ago, the leaves were still all over the road and the two hairpin turns were wet also. Was a mess. While taking 5 at the C store across from Two we saw an ambulance and a county leo all lit up heading back the way we came. Hope everyone was OK.

Again I would like to note... on my 07 UC I had wobble until I added a fourth mounting point. It just happened to be a True Track. Had the same experience on my 06 RK. I'm sure the other brands are just as good or maybe better but that is what I have. It made a great deal of difference as better than half of my riding is in the mountains. I with you guys about the new frame changes and don't feel it is necessary to add anything but I have a grand total of 250 miles on my SESG. :-\  Is it necessary for some of the older model Harley baggers? I think so and still enjoy my older bikes very much.

Have a great week everyone, I'm headed back to the mountains after this rain.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2009, 01:45:00 PM »

JC, tell my wife I need another bike!  :P

I'm not saying that the new frame isn't better, but did they do something to the rubber bushings? I can't find anything in any of the spec's. Maybe they changed them, did something like the Sta-bro bushings did for the older bushings?? The addition of another mount may also help.

On the older frame I notice it more on long sweepers, and low to medium speeds. I think the harder turns pin it as far as the bushings will allow twist, so you feel it going into and out of the turn, but not as much weaving through the turn.  

Craig

Other than the 4th mount, I'm not sure what, exactly, the differences are.  I just know it is a different motorcycle.  Everybody used to comment on how great my SEEG handled compared to theirs and it did handle quite well.  Jim commented once "man, your bike rides like it's on a rail".  None of that rear steer, weave or any of that stuff that I'd see others doing the hula dance on, in the twisties.  

But as good as it was/is on my SEEG.......that's nothing compared to my wife's 09 Street Glide (that convinced me to buy new) or my 10 SESG.  You take one for a ride, you'll not need me to convince her you need a new bike........you'll be convincing her.  Or do like a friend did.....just buy it then beg for forgiveness. :huepfenlol2:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 01:46:44 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »

Other than the 4th mount, I'm not sure what, exactly, the differences are.  I just know it is a different motorcycle.  Everybody used to comment on how great my SEEG handled compared to theirs and it did handle quite well.  Jim commented once "man, your bike rides like it's on a rail".  None of that rear steer, weave or any of that stuff that I'd see others doing the hula dance on, in the twisties.  

But as good as it was/is on my SEEG.......that's nothing compared to my wife's 09 Street Glide (that convinced me to buy new) or my 10 SESG.  You take one for a ride, you'll not need me to convince her you need a new bike........you'll be convincing her.  Or do like a friend did.....just buy it then beg for forgiveness. :huepfenlol2:

The old, "It's easier to get forgiveness than permission"?

I notice it more on the wide sweepers than on the tight twisties, when I'm in the mountains on the tight roads I barley notice it. Like I said, I think the hard turns push the rubber bushings to the limit, and hold it there until you start to straighten up. If I ride on the highway with wide sweeping turns, like I70, I feel the back moving around. Once, after a long ride, I was tired, coming back on I70 near Vail and change lanes with out trying or wanting to! Good thing there was no one in the other lane!

Craig

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2009, 01:26:02 PM »

Glad you were able to ride that one out!!

Interesting that you bring that up about the front end, the same American Bagger issue had another tech article where they installed a Custom Cycle Engineering upper tree to address the front end:

Goes down the same line as the True-Track article .... according to them it addresses a significant issue, but who knows?
Price of admission goes up for the front end ... $775 for the CCE tree and labor is a lot more intensive.

Guess it boils down to perceived value of the owner ... if it is worth it to them, then both are a worth-while addition.

Interesting setup. So I called CCE and discussed it with them. This setup uses longer upper fork tubes to accommodate the "normal" way fork tubes get mounted in the upper tree for much better support and rigidity. It comes with the upper tree, new upper tubes, and a new dampener. You basically need to rebuid the front end with this mod. Perfect time to convert to Traxxion. I still need to check with Traxxion now to determine what needs to be done to the AK-20 to work with this setup. Might be considering this when doing my winter work! Stay tuned. I'll let youze know! ;)

"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.