Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 73

Author Topic: New 02 Brandywine SERK -- Long Term Project  (Read 186984 times)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: New 02 Brandywine SERK -- Long Term Project
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 10:52:18 PM »

Now that's a nice bike! What lucky SOB rides that around?
You might find your answer looking into one of these ;) :D......

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

AZ SESG

• '17 SESG Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black -- '02 SERK Candy/Brandywine *Gone but not forgotten*
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Formerly AZ SERK

• CVO1: '02 FLHRSEI / Sold
    • CVO2: '17 FLHXSE
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2009, 11:19:44 PM »

Thank you for posting the story.  :coolblue:  Here's hoping the build goes smoothly.

I will be watching for updates, with a somewhat biased opinion regarding the color.  :)

Life is: Choices. Choose wisely.
"Ability + Commitment - Doubt = Reality"
IBA #42159

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2009, 12:08:13 AM »

Thank you for posting the story.  :coolblue:  Here's hoping the build goes smoothly.

I will be watching for updates, with a somewhat biased opinion regarding the color.  :)

Thank you Arizona.  Fair bit of time in to it so far with a fair bit more to go.  This should be fun.  Slow.  But fun :2vrolijk_21: .

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 01:20:17 PM »

Great thread Don. I'll be watching with much interest. You say these motors can be upgraded??  :nixweiss: Hmmm.

Seriously, wish I had your skills to do such a project! Paint looks great. My daughter is going to be assigned to Fort Lost in the Woods sometime in 2010. Great excuse to come on down to Joplin for a look see!

JW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 06:13:59 PM »

You say these motors can be upgraded??  :nixweiss: Hmmm.

Yes they can Jeff; just a tiiiiiny bit.  About this (-) much.

If you're at Ft.Wood or anywhere else within reach be sure and drop in.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 02:06:50 AM »

Want to take a moment and say thanks to people while the moment is right.  A very few of the crowd have known of this little project for awhile.  And they've known that until I actually had something back to have an effort (no matter how long it might be) started I wished to keep the fact of the SERK project out of the public eye.

In my own mind I foresaw the normal fun and chatter and several thousand suggestions on how I should build my Road King.  When I didn't even have it all clear in my own head yet.  The few that knew kept it to themselves.  Some occasionally pointed out a part they'd seen or heard of.  But it was all quietly done.  I thank them for their discretion and forebearance.  Very much. 

Speaking not at all of these gentlemen and their kindness and assistance but solely of myself that was a mistake though; I was mistaken.  Since the painted parts showed up and there's actually been this little bit to show several of the group have called or written.  Excited about the prospect.  Interested in the evolution.  Or just enjoying another show. 

Even more consequentially a few already have gone out of their way to point out some good pieces that might help the project.  eBay parts or elsewhere.  Some I might have.  Some I might not.  And some might be excellent spares or improving replacements.  Whether I'd seen them or not (and some I hadn't) the efforts and the interest are very much appreciated.  If anyone sees a good SERK specific piece that might be beneficial don't be timid about PMing the information.  Assistance of good friends is always appreciated.  And it will continue to be.

Thanks.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 03:43:51 PM »

Touching base here again.  No new pics.  Just a bit of updating.

Have decided the front suspension will be the "monotube" product from Progressive.  Looks to be too simple and cost effective of an install relative to relative gains to not try out.

Also picked up the last big SERK specific part I'd been missing awhile back thanks to a member here.  During the tins-search phase had never scored a rear wheel to replace the wheel ruined in the accident.  A site member sold me a pair of wheels at a fair price not too long ago.  So now not only have the missing piece but a spare front.  I'm honestly not a big fan of solid wheels.  But these are a big part of the look of the bike.  They'll be even better once a chromer is done with them and they're not just aluminum anymore.  Bare aluminum wheels are just too much of a pain in the ass to keep dressed nicely.

Also came to a conclusion about a variance from the CVO OE appearance the bike will eventually take.  I was never a huge fan of the tach's position.  That extended bracket mount by itself may look nice.  But it put the tach in an odd position for instrument scanning and it intruded on windshield bags.  After a little back and forth deliberation finally decided to go with the newer version of the Dakota Digital speedo.

It's got multiple bells and whistles that the stock instruments don't have.  Oil temp, gear shift indicator. speedo calibration, etc etc etc; all the normal Dakota Digital additions.  And I really like the look of the instrument.  Now just have to decide whether to go with this version of the instrument:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 03:45:32 PM »

Or their optional red one.  It is on the Candy Brandy SERK.  So first inclination is toward the red one.  Especially since can use the red fuel gauge from an 07 SERK to match.  Would be a nice complement across the top of the tank.  Just not sure the red would allow sufficient contrast to make it easily viewable on a bright day with the sun high.

AZ SESG

• '17 SESG Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black -- '02 SERK Candy/Brandywine *Gone but not forgotten*
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Formerly AZ SERK

• CVO1: '02 FLHRSEI / Sold
    • CVO2: '17 FLHXSE
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »

Hey Don,
  Hmmm, I have also been considering plating the SERK's wheels. We have a local plater who does great work. He has plated some smaller parts for me. I will stop in and have him give me a price. Any idea $$$ ?

The red Dakota looks great.  Of course, it is red!   :2vrolijk_21:

Life is: Choices. Choose wisely.
"Ability + Commitment - Doubt = Reality"
IBA #42159

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 10:40:42 PM »

Hey Don,
  Hmmm, I have also been considering plating the SERK's wheels. We have a local plater who does great work. He has plated some smaller parts for me. I will stop in and have him give me a price. Any idea $$$ ?

The red Dakota looks great.  Of course, it is red!   :2vrolijk_21:

Don't really have an informed guess on price for plating.  A guy I know locally got a set of Fatboy wheels plated about a year ago for $600.  Though I've got no idea whether he was a diligent shopper or just a plater and sent them off.  I also bought a set of FLHX wheels that had been plated last year for $500.  But that wasn't a purchase to compare against as it was a plater who got stuck with them and was just trying to quickly recover some expenses.

These centerline type wheels might be more involved than a single piece Fatboy type wheel also.  I'll be very curious what your local guy says after seeing the wheels in person.  They will look a lot better chromed.  To quote a friend's remark on the plain calipers after adding chrome wheels, however, the calipers "will look like ass."  So you know if we chrome the wheels we'll have to buy brakes also :huepfenlol2: .

I like that Dakota Digital instument also.  Much better than the speedo they've had on the market for a long time.  One of the nice things about this SERK rebuild is the latitude to alter it just a bit from OE to suit my own tastes a bit.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 10:52:01 PM »

One of the nice things about this SERK rebuild is the latitude to alter it just a bit from OE to suit my own tastes a bit.

Hmmm  ::)

Changing a bike to suit your own taste?

That is a novel concept.

Let us know how it turns out.

SBB

;D ;D ;D ;D

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 11:32:05 PM »

Hmmm  ::)

Changing a bike to suit your own taste?

That is a novel concept.

Let us know how it turns out.

SBB

;D ;D ;D ;D

Some things I'm still undecided on.  Still haven't made a decision on how much to do with the engine.  Lots of driveline questions.  Bugging me more than any, however, are the cosmetic questions. 

Still not sure if it'll all stay silver (in which case I won't even mess with diamond cutting the fins; just not enough contrast).  Might also go like the SEEG and just be poweder coated from the jugs up (most likely).  Am also at least considering just powder coating everything.

The "everything" option is the least likely though.  I think it's actually too much color (for my tastes).  Plus if I split the cases I know the 95" will become a 107" build like the SEEGs.  So that expense and work can be avoided with my cosmetic preference of a silver bottom end and tranny case.

Believe it or not there really can be too much red.  Especially when the frame and bits akin to it will be dark red too.  Some motor mount and other bracketry and mounting hardware will be chrome.  But frame, swingarm, footboard brackets, visible parts of the tree and a bit else will be dark red.  Will need some silver in the engine just to break up the field and focus attention.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2010, 09:12:08 AM »

have you researched compatibility of this with an 02 yet? last time i had considered something like this it looked to be a Frankenstein experiment for bikes pre-04
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2010, 11:21:48 AM »

have you researched compatibility of this with an 02 yet? last time i had considered something like this it looked to be a Frankenstein experiment for bikes pre-04

I did.  In fact somewhere in a pile of papers around here is their schematic.  Their 04 and up is plug and play.  As you say the pre-04 is not (which seemed odd on their part).  It's not that big a deal though. 

Wouldn't cut the stock harness.  Disassemble it from its end connector and re-pin it in a Deutsch plug.  Use the plug's mate for the supplied harness out of the speedo.  End up with a short intermediate harness that way under the dash and a bit of extra harness stuffed in the hole in front of the battery.  But it wouldn't be a tough harness to make.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 11:44:27 AM »

will be interested to see how it works out if you go that route
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 73

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 21 queries.