Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Time to buy a new GPS  (Read 2301 times)

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
Time to buy a new GPS
« on: December 02, 2009, 11:03:41 AM »

I have owned 3 Garmins, the first two for marine applications and the Streetpilot 3 for land navigation.  I really like the later but it is too big and slow and soon won't be supported by Garmin.  As between the two Zumo models the 660 appears to be the clear choice.  My question is: Why spend hundreds more for a unit designated for 'motorcycles' when there are many with the same or even more features by Garmin for hundreds less.  I've looked at the 885T which has voice activated commands and the 1690 that has a big screen and Garmin's internet search and traffic monitoring. 

The only argument I hear in favor of the Zumo is the waterproofing.  I've had the Streetpilot in rain several times without a problem.  If you are concerned put a zip lock over it.   

Zumo 660 is about $600 discounted plus a mount.  The other Garmins are around $250 for comparable features.
My questions:
1. What is your favorite non-Zumo gps?
2. What mount do you use for the 1 !/4" bars?
3. Any problems in the rain?
Thanks in advance for your collective input
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
Re: Time to buy a new GPS
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 11:07:19 AM »

1. I have a nuvi 750
2. I use the Leader Motorcycles eCaddy deluxe for Harley controls.  Doesn't matter which bars you have, and it looks nicer than the clamp versions.
3, Ziplocks are your friends.

smiley1049

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 11:55:37 AM »

Tech Mount Works Great

NVTHIS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Fatboy, Copperhead Red
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 - Burnt Amber & Hot Citrus and Flames
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 12:06:53 PM »

The 660 or 550 is the only GPS system that is set up for using your left hand, also it's glove friendly.
This site is like the Mafia, once you get in you can't get out.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »

I'm getting ready to buy a GPS.  I assumed the newer 660 would be better than the 550 but not from what I've read hear.  Also I was surprised to see that the 660 was $50 less than the 550 which is older, at least in the HD P&A catalog.  I've read about the 660 card slot access, and other nuances.

What are the big differences now?  Bluetooth is really not that important to me.
The reason I need an upgrade is so I can load maps into the GPS and also be able to record a trip as it happens (when I'm following others), they do that right?

BTW, the new Victory Touring models have the cradle connector built in for the 660.  The voice output is integrated into the radio.  Nice feature.
Thanks
Any day on the bike is a good day.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 03:24:47 PM »

I've got the 660 Road Tech and love it!!  Very fast acquisition and reroute times.  As far as the memory card issue, it's not an issue as far as I'm concerned.  You put the MicroSD card in the slot and push it in until you feel the detent click and then put the battery back in...no problem.  The reason the 550 is more expensive is that it is XM capable, the 660 is not.  I like the mount of the 550 better in the simple fact that you can disconnect the power cord from it.  You can't with the 660 as it's hard-wired to the mount.  (so you would have to put your own connector in-line to make it removeable).  I know the 660 has the recording capability, but have not used it yet, so I can't comment on how well it works.   I like having the weather proofing capability of the 660 over a Nuvi or something similar to that.  The problems with putting a zip lock bag over the unit is two-fold; 1. makes using the touch screen features more difficult, and 2. moisture can build up inside of the bag because you can seal the bottom well enough to prevent the humid air from entering in, which could potentially cause water damage.  If bluetooth is not important to you, then it won't matter that the 660 has stereo bluetooth capability.  I also like the pre-loaded HD dealerships in the Road Tech Zumo 660, and you can get it from the 20% off dealers, like Tri-Counties HD, for under $599.  (I bought mine through them.)  Also the Road Tech Zumo 660 comes with a two-year warranty, which is nice....

As far as mounts I went with the Leader Motorcycle eCaddy Deluxe w/ultra tilt.  It's a really nice heavy duty chrome unit that mounts to your left controls...great mount...

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 04:16:59 PM »

I've got the 660 Road Tech and love it!!  Very fast acquisition and reroute times.  As far as the memory card issue, it's not an issue as far as I'm concerned.  You put the MicroSD card in the slot and push it in until you feel the detent click and then put the battery back in...no problem.  The reason the 550 is more expensive is that it is XM capable, the 660 is not.  I like the mount of the 550 better in the simple fact that you can disconnect the power cord from it.  You can't with the 660 as it's hard-wired to the mount.  (so you would have to put your own connector in-line to make it removeable).  I know the 660 has the recording capability, but have not used it yet, so I can't comment on how well it works.   I like having the weather proofing capability of the 660 over a Nuvi or something similar to that.  The problems with putting a zip lock bag over the unit is two-fold; 1. makes using the touch screen features more difficult, and 2. moisture can build up inside of the bag because you can seal the bottom well enough to prevent the humid air from entering in, which could potentially cause water damage.  If bluetooth is not important to you, then it won't matter that the 660 has stereo bluetooth capability.  I also like the pre-loaded HD dealerships in the Road Tech Zumo 660, and you can get it from the 20% off dealers, like Tri-Counties HD, for under $599.  (I bought mine through them.)  Also the Road Tech Zumo 660 comes with a two-year warranty, which is nice....

As far as mounts I went with the Leader Motorcycle eCaddy Deluxe w/ultra tilt.  It's a really nice heavy duty chrome unit that mounts to your left controls...great mount...

Great insight.  I may be wrong about the trip memory feature even existing.  Hope someone can confirm. 
My daughter works at a dealer and can get a decent discount at Christmas, Father's day, etc.if it's a gift for me. I'm glad you explained the price difference.
Phil
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 04:30:19 PM »

I know I'm a rookie HD rider, and still trying to get used to the prevelance of those who don't ride much in foul weather, but being able to get full use out of my GPS no matter what the weather has always been a must. I've made due with putting a waterproof cover over my radar detector, because it's not like you actually have to do anything with that, but being able to have full use of the GPS is critical. So I've always had a waterproof unit. If you're a fair weather rider who might get caught in the rain every now & again, having a non-waterproof unit with an emergency ziplock bag stashed would probably work and save you a few hundred bucks... unit you forget the ziplock and get stuck inan unexpected shower of course... lol

Don't care about XM and want stereo bluetooth, so I'm getting a 660.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 05:06:32 PM »

1. I have a nuvi 750
2. I use the Leader Motorcycles eCaddy deluxe for Harley controls.  Doesn't matter which bars you have, and it looks nicer than the clamp versions.
3, Ziplocks are your friends.

Thanks Steve
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 09:39:05 PM »

Great insight.  I may be wrong about the trip memory feature even existing.  Hope someone can confirm. 
My daughter works at a dealer and can get a decent discount at Christmas, Father's day, etc.if it's a gift for me. I'm glad you explained the price difference.
Phil

:oops: I misspoke about the 660 having the recording function, it does not.  I thought I had read that in the owners manual, but when I went back and re-read it, it doesn't.  My Magellan has the "bread crumb" feature which will show where you've traveled if you weren't following a route.  Sorry for the confusion....

2012 FLHXSE3

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 09:47:06 PM »

:oops: I misspoke about the 660 having the recording function, it does not.  I thought I had read that in the owners manual, but when I went back and re-read it, it doesn't.  My Magellan has the "bread crumb" feature which will show where you've traveled if you weren't following a route.  Sorry for the confusion....

Charlie if the 660 is like the 550 you should be able to download tracks when you hook it up to your computer. :nixweiss: This will show you where you just rode and you can save it to a route.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 08:25:22 AM »

Charlie if the 660 is like the 550 you should be able to download tracks when you hook it up to your computer. :nixweiss: This will show you where you just rode and you can save it to a route.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Thanks Gary, I hope it does do that...my Magellan does the "bread crumb" thing, but you can't download it to anything.  It would be great if the 660 does that.  I'll have to read the whole manual again and see if it's buried somewhere, or just play with the darn thing and see if it will do that.   :2vrolijk_21:  I think it might have too many moving parts for me.   ::) :P

2012 FLHXSE3

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 10:16:43 AM »

Thanks Gary, I hope it does do that...my Magellan does the "bread crumb" thing, but you can't download it to anything.  It would be great if the 660 does that.  I'll have to read the whole manual again and see if it's buried somewhere, or just play with the darn thing and see if it will do that.   :2vrolijk_21:  I think it might have too many moving parts for me.   ::) :P

To get the tracks you need to do it in Mapsource. Connect your Zumo up to computer and there will be a button next to "Send to device" called "Receive from device" (or something like that... at work now and don't have Mapsource on this computer). Once they get to Mapsource you can view/save them as routes.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

NVTHIS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Fatboy, Copperhead Red
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 - Burnt Amber & Hot Citrus and Flames
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 03:39:01 PM »

Hey Devil, can you please post some pic's on the mounting system, I have not seen this one. Thanks, Chris
This site is like the Mafia, once you get in you can't get out.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 04:22:44 PM »

Hey Devil, can you please post some pic's on the mounting system, I have not seen this one. Thanks, Chris

Sure will Chris.  As soon as I get a chance.   :2vrolijk_21:

2012 FLHXSE3

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.382 seconds with 21 queries.