Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bREAK SWITCH  (Read 1977 times)

FXR4NUT

bREAK SWITCH
« on: December 04, 2009, 10:29:11 AM »

Hi fellow FXR riders:

The break switch on my FXR4, particularly the rear brake, fries after just a few weeks of operation, despite several replacements.
I had the HD local dealer replace it, at least four times in the last two years. They don't seem to find the problem.

Have any of you guys (gals) had this problem before?

Thanks for your assistance

FXR4NUT

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
Re: bREAK SWITCH
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 08:38:34 PM »

Hi,
 The rear break light is activated when the rear break is pressed. The switch is normally open but when pressure is applied it closes and should be about a dead short across the switch. The current that passes through the switch is determined by Ohms law. With a normal voltage of about 13 volts and a resistannce of the bulb would give you what current should be passing through the switch. Different bulbs with different wattage ratings would have a would have different currents. Lower the resistance of the bulb would result in a higher current. Ohms law breakdown as follows.
E= voltage                                      I= current                                                                 R= resistance
E=IxR ( Current times resistance)        I= E/R (voltage divided by resistance)                            R= E/I ( voltage divided by current)

What  bulb or bulbs are you using in you tail light? There should be a number followed by a W (watts) the amount of power used.
P= IxE                                           I= P/E                                                                       E= P/I

The brake light circuit is powerd by the Accy 15 amp (curcuit breaker). Using your front break light switch also will cause the current to pass through the socket but not the rear breaklight switch. You may also have a bad socket or a wire shorted to ground. The excess current is the cause of switch failing.
If your rear break switch fails then using your front brake should also fail if used alot. I don't mean to confuse or insult by this long detailed email.
I hope that this helps.
LTank

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 07:49:58 AM »

I was gonna post something funny, but figured maybe not. my head is hurting from the last response
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

sctilt

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 05:23:10 PM »

I was gonna post something funny, but figured maybe not. my head is hurting from the last response

Too Funny....

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 06:39:00 PM »

Hi FXR4NUT,
 Last year my rear brake light switch stopped working. I replaced it with a Accell #181101. It was about 8 bucks. I have not had any problems with the new one. I am using three stop lights. One 55 watt brake light and two dual filament trurn signals that use the lower wattage as extra visability and the brighter filiments are used for turn signals. I have a totla of about 100 watts for the brake light with no problems for over a year.  The current draw is about 7.5 amps, that is considerably more than stock. What pipes do you have? How close do they come to your brake light switch?

Ltank

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 07:40:01 PM »

anything new on this ?

FXR4NUT, did you find the problem ?
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.