Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Loud Clacking from Primary on 2010 SEUC  (Read 3804 times)

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
Loud Clacking from Primary on 2010 SEUC
« on: May 13, 2010, 10:33:25 AM »

I had posted that I was hearing a clacking sound coming from the bike and that it gets louder as the bike gets hotter but I have finally chased it down to the primary. At idle and the bike nice and hot I am getting this loud clacking coming from the front area of the primary. I'm talking the bike in tomorrow to have it Dyno'd and wonder if this noise is going to subside from the primary because I only have 1020 miles on the bike or if it is serious and needs to be addressed?? :nixweiss:
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Loud Clacking from Primary on 2010 SEUC
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 10:56:13 AM »

I had posted that I was hearing a clacking sound coming from the bike and that it gets louder as the bike gets hotter but I have finally chased it down to the primary. At idle and the bike nice and hot I am getting this loud clacking coming from the front area of the primary. I'm talking the bike in tomorrow to have it Dyno'd and wonder if this noise is going to subside from the primary because I only have 1020 miles on the bike or if it is serious and needs to be addressed?? :nixweiss:

Without knowing what the problem actually is there's no way to know if it's minor or major.  Having said that any unexpected noise in the primary is worth checking out. 

Dyno work can be hard on a bike.  It's going to be in the shop anyway.  If pulling the primary off yourself to look and see is something you're not comfortable with have them look while it's there.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 12:09:14 PM »

That is one item on the list my bike has hanging from at the dealer.... :nervous: :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:
At my first fluid change on the primary, it smelled wierd...

I dunno, no warm fuzzies here...let you know post ribfest wtf is happening.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 12:17:33 PM »

Last night I installed the HB Intake and after I was done I rode it to see how it was going to run and get it warm and that is when I traced that clacking to the forward section of the primary cover. Last weekend I drained the syn 3 and formula plus out of the bike and put Redline in the Primary and Tranny. This morning I rode to work and when I got to work and at idle I didn't hear it like I did last night so this has me baffled and trying to convince Harley to look at the Primary could be a nightmare. It sounds like someone is slapping something on edge of a metal table. Is the cam tensioner located at the forward section of the primary? I have never had the main primary cover off so I'm not sure of component locations in the primary.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 12:21:49 PM »

Last night I installed the HB Intake and after I was done I rode it to see how it was going to run and get it warm and that is when I traced that clacking to the forward section of the primary cover. Last weekend I drained the syn 3 and formula plus out of the bike and put Redline in the Primary and Tranny. This morning I rode to work and when I got to work and at idle I didn't hear it like I did last night so this has me baffled and trying to convince Harley to look at the Primary could be a nightmare. It sounds like someone is slapping something on edge of a metal table. Is the cam tensioner located at the forward section of the primary? I have never had the main primary cover off so I'm not sure of component locations in the primary.

It's at the middle , bottom

Marty

I'm no mech, but I just had my chain and tensioner replace because of a noise. also primary race and bearing. but I have some miles on mine.

Yours bike being new, my problem could be differant.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 12:24:45 PM by Fred Flintstone »
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 12:43:12 PM »

I wish they would have left us the inspection cover. Much cheaper gasket than the outer primary and easier on and off. I guess the MOCO wanted us to buy more of those big gaskets.

BUBBLEHEAD

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2021 FLTRXSE CVO Road Glide Bronze Armor
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 04:18:27 PM »

I'm thinking i would have to pull the primary and see if there were any "polished" spots in there where metal was rubbing. There is a crank bearing in there behind the chain gear that I have heard can be very troublesome on the newer HD engines. I'm not a engine wrench but I would suspect either something is binding and rubbing or the chain is slapping the front of the primary cover or that this bearing may be the source of the problem. Hope
you get to the bottom of it soon. Good luck and keep is posted. 

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 04:48:14 PM »

Could be the comp nut, but Marty just had noise on his 09 due to chain tensioner and Inner primary bearing race movement.  I'd have them pull the outer primary and take a look.  It will only take about 20 minutes off and on...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 04:54:46 PM »

Could be the comp nut, but Marty just had noise on his 09 due to chain tensioner and Inner primary bearing race movement.  I'd have them pull the outer primary and take a look.  It will only take about 20 minutes off and on...

His are new enough he's got the comp bolt rather than the old comp nut like ours do Ernie.  They've not seemed to give the issues that ours occasionally can.  Anything is worth checking though.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 05:40:00 PM »

I am tempted to let The Evil One ride mine when I get back just to finish it off and get it over with....3 days at the dealer and it has 3 days worth of dirt on in and nothing else.. :-X

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 07:32:51 PM »

The tensioner may need a valuable lesson.  :furious3:     ;D
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Bandit_3

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 10:48:01 PM »

I have a 2010 UCSE5 and have the same sound coming from my primary from 1050 miles. I now have 2650 miles and it has been to Harley 5 times . They replaced the trans, clutch, basket, hub, race gear and bearing, compensator and lifters, and i still have the same sound except its getting louder and now i have a whine in 1st gear that i didnt have before. Today i was told by the Manager of Harley customer care in Milwaukii that they know i have a bad sounds but since they tried and cant repair it , now get this. IM GOING TO HAVE TO LIVE WITH IT....so now i have a $38,000.00 bike that sounds like a bucket of bolts and Harley isnt doing anything about it. They wont even look at it anymore. Anybody want to buy a really expensive anchor for a big boat.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 08:39:47 AM »

I have a 2010 UCSE5 and have the same sound coming from my primary from 1050 miles. I now have 2650 miles and it has been to Harley 5 times . They replaced the trans, clutch, basket, hub, race gear and bearing, compensator and lifters, and i still have the same sound except its getting louder and now i have a whine in 1st gear that i didnt have before. Today i was told by the Manager of Harley customer care in Milwaukii that they know i have a bad sounds but since they tried and cant repair it , now get this. IM GOING TO HAVE TO LIVE WITH IT....so now i have a $38,000.00 bike that sounds like a bucket of bolts and Harley isnt doing anything about it. They wont even look at it anymore. Anybody want to buy a really expensive anchor for a big boat.

Take all the paperwork from all the various "repair" attempts and sit down with a good attorney.  The fact that they threw all those parts at the problem is evidence that they agreed you actually have a problem.  They can't just throw up their hands now and tell you to pound sand because they are incompetent and can't figure out what's wrong.  They will try to BS you, but you don't have to accept it. 

BTW, ask them why they are replacing entire engines for other folks with similar issues, but somehow you are supposed to LIVE WITH IT. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Bandit_3

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 08:38:10 AM »

I contacted a Contractual Attorney and i send him all the repair notices and my contracts and he took the case and has already send Harley Davidson notice that he his going to sue them if they dont rectify the situation in 10 days, and return the full price of the bike to me plus his fees. If not then he'll file the suit in Federal Court and it is a breach of contract to refuse to fix and repair or replace a defective part under warrantee. Now ill sit and wait for the outcome.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 10:17:34 AM »

Good luck to you Bandit :2vrolijk_21:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 11:10:17 AM »

Go get em man... :2vrolijk_21:

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 11:20:46 AM »

I am tempted to let The Evil One ride mine when I get back just to finish it off and get it over with....3 days at the dealer and it has 3 days worth of dirt on in and nothing else.. :-X

They tossed the dirt on it in accordance to the terms and conditions of your warranty.
Quit your bitchin.

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

SBB

And remember, if you let someone else ride your bike, whatever happens won't be their fault.
Never has been on theirs, never will be!
 ;)

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 11:30:47 AM »

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

I'll just fix it myself, like I always do... :D

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 09:22:32 PM »

DesertBear54, I heard that noise on my 09SEUC yesterday when I first started it, but after it was hot it went away. The whine in 5th gear is getting quieter since I changed to Redline HeavyDutyShockproof, and now that I have 7000 miles on it the lifter noise seems to be quieter. Maybe it  is my imagination or maybe it is turning into a Goldwing.CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

fatboi1959

• Junior CVO Member
  • It's all good!
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2010, 11:04:26 PM »

Big stereos cure all these problems! :)
2007 FLHTCUSE2
I'm spending my retirement one mod at a time

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 09:16:57 AM »

Well I am enjoying a new motor and Tranny that is much quieter and runs awesome. I only wish we had cooler temps here in the desert but I have already put 650 miles on it since last tuesday. I think this weekend I'm going to switch out all the fluids and put in Redline and Amsoil.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 21 queries.