Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Saddlebags  (Read 11913 times)

ezpgh

• Full CVO Member
Saddlebags
« on: May 22, 2010, 02:15:53 PM »

Make sure your bags are locked on before pulling out! I made the mistake of being in a hurry and didn't triple check them, lost one on the road and it got hit by a car. That stupid mistake will cost me $545 for the 1 bag. Live and learn. :oops:

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
Re: Saddlebags
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 07:15:08 AM »

Don't feel like a lone ranger... there's another site member that did the same thing. He was lucky though, it wasn't run over and basically undamaged.

Kisscorky

• Full CVO Member
  • Feeding a Cat!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 11:51:39 AM »

Happened to me as well. Bag is okay, but need to double check they are clicked on before you ride.
Live To Win!

Device

• "What we do in life, echoes in eternity." Maximus

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE Softail Convertible
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 11:59:14 AM »

This happened to the dealer prior to taking delivery on the bike.  The tech took it out for a quick test, bag fell off and got scratched up.  They ordered me a whole new bag.  Lesson learned before it actually happened to me.

fmonty

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 07:49:02 AM »

Happened to me the day after I took delivery.  I was lucky, it slid on it's "backside" and suffered minor scraping that buffed out nicely.  I stopped, ran back to retrieve the bag, a cop rounded the corner, stopped in front of my bag flashing his lights.  I looked up gave him the finger (my thumb), he responded with a thumbs up as well.  All good.

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 10:33:21 AM »

This has happened to BOTH of my bags now. After the second one took a dive I put a sign in my garage to "CHECK BAGS" before leaving. I was 90% sure they were locked before the second incident and now after hearing this has happened to so many others makes me believe there may be a defect here. Given how expensive these bags are to replace I will be making SURE I check them before every ride. If it happens again it will be a warranty claim as I will be 100% sure it is not an oversight on my part.

MikeV
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 10:45:24 AM »

Mike.. just a thought...

Grab your video camera and set the date to show on the screen. Take a video of the bags locked before you go on a ride. Bring the camera with you. If it comes off again you will have evidence to give to MoCo. Without real evidence it is your word against theirs if you know where I'm coming from and that's like pushing a rope uphill.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 10:47:20 AM by Mr. Wizard »

ezpgh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 07:47:10 PM »

This has happened to BOTH of my bags now. After the second one took a dive I put a sign in my garage to "CHECK BAGS" before leaving. I was 90% sure they were locked before the second incident and now after hearing this has happened to so many others makes me believe there may be a defect here. Given how expensive these bags are to replace I will be making SURE I check them before every ride. If it happens again it will be a warranty claim as I will be 100% sure it is not an oversight on my part.

MikeV

I hear that! I was certain I had mine locked also. I usually lock, unlock, lock with finger underneath to be sure. I went to Surdyke for the replacement and saved a few dollars, but if it happens again I will go bagless from then on because they sure as hell are not worth $545 per bag. A simple clip put on the bag support where it attatches to the bottom frame is all it would take to be sure they don't slide back and come loose. I think I'll work on one and let you guys know what I come up with.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 07:52:34 PM by ezpgh »

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE Red
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 09:51:48 PM »

I hear that! I was certain I had mine locked also. I usually lock, unlock, lock with finger underneath to be sure. I went to Surdyke for the replacement and saved a few dollars, but if it happens again I will go bagless from then on because they sure as hell are not worth $545 per bag. A simple clip put on the bag support where it attatches to the bottom frame is all it would take to be sure they don't slide back and come loose. I think I'll work on one and let you guys know what I come up with.

You know? I think you got something there . . .

I'm not very creative but I remember my dad having a trigger lock on his 38 special. Something like that would also serve to keep some low-life from lifting our bags while we're away...
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 01:25:27 PM »

My right bag goes on and locks slick as a whistle.  My left one needs a firm "smack" with my hand to drive the mechanism home.  The left one was originally almost impossible to remove as whoever handled the bag last got things misaligned and jammed it so bad I had to replace the spacers at the dealership.  What I consider a deficiency on the part of the moco is the fact the bags are 33% less usable space than stock bags on the Heritage.  Look behind your bags and tell me what is occupying all that extra space back there??? Air!  Think of all the space back there that could have been incorporated into the saddle bag!  My immediate thought was that the bags were really not custom built for this bike.  Must have been custom made for something else and somebody thought, "Gee, we could use them on this bike at $545 (???) per !   A shame.  I would love riding down the road with some real "stuff" in the bags on this bike.   Pork

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 01:40:02 PM »

Pork,

Here's how to fix that sticky left bag: Loosen the 3 bolts that hold on the lower mounting bracket and put the bag on the bike. Tighten them up once the bag is on the bike and fully in place. It will operate as smoothly as the right one. I found that out after I replaced the arm that got bent when the bag took a tumble.

MikeV
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 04:24:10 AM »

"Well, that certainly makes sense.  I'll try that when I get home today.  thanks.   Pork

Paulie

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 11:18:55 AM »

The dealer test rode my bike and lost a bag.  They order a new one.  You are right - check many times.......'

San Jancinto Harly in Pasadena TX also lost my key and fob....................Oh well

Kisscorky

• Full CVO Member
  • Feeding a Cat!
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 10:31:16 PM »

The first time my left bag came off I had to replace the bar attached to the bag because it got bent. I was sure I had secured the bag, but decided maybe it was my error. Now this past weekend the bag came off again and is now somewhere on the highway. Prior to leaving on the trip I triple checked the bags before I took off. So I am contacting HD to file a claim. Do any of you know who to contact and what the procedure is to take care of it? Thanks for the help.
Live To Win!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 07:21:06 AM »

The first time my left bag came off I had to replace the bar attached to the bag because it got bent. I was sure I had secured the bag, but decided maybe it was my error. Now this past weekend the bag came off again and is now somewhere on the highway. Prior to leaving on the trip I triple checked the bags before I took off. So I am contacting HD to file a claim. Do any of you know who to contact and what the procedure is to take care of it? Thanks for the help.
To speak with a Harley-Davidson customer service representative call (414) 343-4056.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Kisscorky

• Full CVO Member
  • Feeding a Cat!
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 04:22:45 PM »

Thanks for the number. I called and the tech said this has never happened before and they have not replaced any bags on the FLSTSE. He said the locking mechanisum is aircraft quality. He asked me to take it to my local HD and have them check it out. Why do I feel this is going to be bad?
Live To Win!

MontereyJack

2011 FLSTSE2 bag lost
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 02:29:21 PM »

Has anyone else had this problem. On my first ride the left bag fell off and was lost. I have to admit I did take the bags offs and put them back on. I believed they were locked in place. Well I went on a 50 mile ride and to my suprise at the second stop the Harley shop the bag was gone. I went and looked for it and did not find it. Well long story short. Harley world not warranty it because I had nothing to turn in since it was lost. Guess how much one CVO bag cost $1700.00. I turned it over to insurance to pay  and got the money have not replaced the bag. May sell the otherone if someone needs a right side bag. Have others had bags fall off the 2011 CVO FLSTSE2 ?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: 2011 FLSTSE2 bag lost
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 02:36:20 PM »

Has anyone else had this problem. On my first ride the left bag fell off and was lost. I have to admit I did take the bags offs and put them back on. I believed they were locked in place. Well I went on a 50 mile ride and to my suprise at the second stop the Harley shop the bag was gone. I went and looked for it and did not find it. Well long story short. Harley world not warranty it because I had nothing to turn in since it was lost. Guess how much one CVO bag cost $1700.00. I turned it over to insurance to pay  and got the money have not replaced the bag. May sell the otherone if someone needs a right side bag. Have others had bags fall off the 2011 CVO FLSTSE2 ?
Merged your thread w/an existing one that speaks of this problem... starting reading from beginning for some information regarding this.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLSTSE2
    • CVO2: 1996 FXSTC
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 02:21:47 AM »

the bags do fit perfectly...... BUT there is always a but, you must check and double check once you take them on and off as i do every week that they are docked correctly, check all three positions and that the locking mechanism clicks into place, i think they are great bags , just got back from a camping trip and they were full to the brim,
this topic has been discussed many times on this site,
another thing to be sure of is that the jiffy stand is fully out and not leaning
up a slope as they tend on this model because of their low frame height to want to sit upright.
its worth going back to some of the early posts about november last year to check on these things

bad luck about the bag though
happy and safe riding

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 06:43:24 AM »

+1

Don't forget about the passenger pegs dropping down due to road vibration. Ours have been worked on several times, no joy. Now HD is picking ours up and replacing all components next week. It's sort of a last chance for Harley or go back to the drawing board.

Next would be oil consumption. At 3500 miles our motor was rebuilt from top to bottom due to powder coating on lower case coming off. They found crimped valve seals from the factory... said that is the normal issue when it comes to oil consumption. We were loosing 1QT every 1K miles. They also said our oil was pooling in the top of the heads and not returning to the sump?? Not too sure about that one.

We love our ConV... don't get me wrong... but she has her quirks for sure.

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 06:50:17 AM »

i have heard about the passenger pegs, but not a peep from mine

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 06:59:19 AM »

That's good news for me...

Maybe the work next week will fix ours.

:2vrolijk_21:

FADBOY

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 08:07:21 AM »

I took one of my saddlebags off while on the first ride to see how it worked, then put it back on. When on the ride home I heard a lot banging and scraping and thought my engine had blown up, but when I pulled over the saddlebag bar had come out of the location and was digging into the road, I couldnt get it back in the location as the lower jaw had been half worn away and was burred.
Got home and filed it and it still fits ok...put it down to me not fitting the bag on correctly..but now not so sure.
Also my rear footpegs do vibrate down too.

brr5

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 flstse2
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 09:00:10 AM »

So far so good with the saddle bags on my 2011 (knock on something!!)
But the right peg does keep coming down.

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2011, 01:24:32 AM »

the three locations must be on at the same time before it is locked into position

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2011, 03:27:44 PM »

the rear pegs on my 2010 would not stay up much longer than 3rd gear.   Dealer put a Stainless bolt and locknut in place of the pin and now can adjust the tension.  NO PROBLEMS NOW...

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2011, 03:40:21 PM »

The only issue with the bolt is on the right side. The peg must be turned to the 12 o'clock position which is not the intended peg sweep. This was tried by our dealer... we said no way.

Tod

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2011, 11:36:28 AM »

Has anyone had issues with 2011 cvo softail conv. bags coming off of the mounts or not locking down

CVOpilot

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2011, 02:22:47 AM »

My right bag goes on and locks slick as a whistle.  My left one needs a firm "smack" with my hand to drive the mechanism home.  The left one was originally almost impossible to remove as whoever handled the bag last got things misaligned and jammed it so bad I had to replace the spacers at the dealership.  What I consider a deficiency on the part of the moco is the fact the bags are 33% less usable space than stock bags on the Heritage.  Look behind your bags and tell me what is occupying all that extra space back there??? Air!  Think of all the space back there that could have been incorporated into the saddle bag!  My immediate thought was that the bags were really not custom built for this bike.  Must have been custom made for something else and somebody thought, "Gee, we could use them on this bike at $545 (???) per !   A shame.  I would love riding down the road with some real "stuff" in the bags on this bike.   Pork

lol.  Porky! How's the ridin going!  It's gettin better every week.
I have had the same issues with my bags....one was tight as s^*t and the other no binding, nice and smooth. When I did my electrical connector for the are owing rack I removed the mounting bolts and paid special attention to them when reinstalling....  All is smooth now!
  I have not had one come loose or off but I did have one slide back because the latch was not set (this was in the tight as crap days.)
  My real problem is forgetting to latch the bags and look like an idiot riding down the road with Dumbos dos ears flappin in the wind! LOL  
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 02:26:37 AM by CVOpilot »

CVOpilot

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2011, 02:33:35 AM »

iPad is hard to use for this!!

I ment... When I installed the electrical connector for the aero luggage rack light.....   

Also, I too noticed all that room behind the bags.!.. Would be nice to re-mold a plastic backplate so we could at least hold a half helmet in there! Crap, I barely have room for a small FLEXIBLE lunch cooler in there!

STILL love the bike, though...... :-)

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2011, 08:04:48 AM »

The ease of the bag install is pretty much dependent on the alignment of the front support bar. If the bar is bent or off angle with the disconnect knuckle then the bags are difficult to slide forward the last 1/8 of an inch into the locked position.

To adjust the front support knuckle simply loosen your passenger pegs which will allow the support knuckle to be moved. Install the bags and tighten the passenger pegs.

Unfortunately to loosen your pegs will mean that you must remove the pegs from the peg bracket. If they are double washered to keep them from vibrating down then you're going to have a tough time getting them back on. So, I used a rubber mallet to bump the disconnect knuckle arm up and down. The bags now go on easily which makes using the locking mechanism a breeze.

Pilot... 10-4 on no room. We got one of the newly released Harley travel bags and got the riders backrest pad for it. Now the wifey can haul more when on a trip and have back support for long distance riding. Unfortunately it rests on the passenger seat and sissy bar so even if you had an extra helmet there would be no place for the passenger to sit!   :nixweiss:

CVOpilot

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2011, 01:01:41 PM »

Pilot... 10-4 on no room. We got one of the newly released Harley travel bags and got the riders backrest pad for it. Now the wifey can haul more when on a trip and have back support for long distance riding. Unfortunately it rests on the passenger seat and sissy bar so even if you had an extra helmet there would be no place for the passenger to sit!   :nixweiss:

I'd like to see a couple pix of this setup.... Sounds good!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 01:07:37 PM by CVOpilot »

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2011, 04:37:09 PM »

Only Pic I have

bosshogg69

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2011, 08:28:26 PM »

Mr.Wizard, What model bag did you buy? Is it the rolling style? My wife is looking for this type of set up for her Conv.

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2011, 06:34:34 AM »

All this cuz our womens gotta bring sooooooooo much crap. :huepfenlol2:
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2011, 01:53:39 AM »

newbie to this board, but not to riding, or to harleys. Bag coming off happened to me today on a five lane highway.  I hit a pretty big bump in the road and my right side bag went flying across several lanes of traffic.  Cars were swerving everywhere, it could have been very ugly but fortunately no other accidents were caused by my bag.  The left bag came loose as well but I was able to reach back and grab it with my clutch hand and exit the highway.  I know both these bags were secure before I left.  This seems to be happening pretty frequently for the number of these bikes on the road.  Have any of the previous posters had any resolution from the mo co?

myanoch

• Junior CVO Member
    • IN

• CVO1: 2011 cvo softail convertible
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2011, 09:53:17 AM »

Are we saying that the bags falling 2011 also?
Are these bangs locked in?
Are the 2011 $1400 to replace
I would put on the Hard bags if they are that much
I am going to look to install a safety lock or tie to the support  to stop the uglyness
I had my knee operated  this past week so I am stuck in doors
I guess thats why I am doing so many posts on harley sights( at least for me)
Something tells me that strap for passenger could be hooked to back of driver seat to the carry strap on bag????
We need a a saftey bolt/strap or pin

Mike

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2011, 11:42:53 AM »

yes, mine was a 2011 ConV, and yes the bags were locked.  Bike was brand new, only 250 miles logged.  I have not looked into replacement costs yet, I want to talk to the mo co on Monday.  Something tells me that they will say that this is the first time they have ever heard of a problem!

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2011, 11:56:07 AM »

Went on a HD dealership free ride last weekend.  a guy who bought a 2011 Conv the day before was at the front of the group when the right bag came off.   Luckily everyone missed the bag flipping through the bikes at speed.  He told me that the sales folks were showing him how the bags came off and on before the ride.   

myanoch

• Junior CVO Member
    • IN

• CVO1: 2011 cvo softail convertible
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2011, 05:45:29 PM »

i started to get around with the knee alittle today what  I did find if you take the carry strap behind the bag
and loop it through the sissy bar it wiil hold the bag from falling to the  ground if the lock pin comes out
Thaught it may be a temp repair to save a bag
Still not sure with that rod flopping aroud  hitting the wheel???
Use tip at your own risk         
Mike

GordieHM

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2011, 05:50:50 PM »

When you lock the bags on, are you sure the pin is popped into place.  :-\
The left bag is always a little tricky to lock in.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 05:53:34 PM by GordieHM »

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2011, 08:15:42 PM »

back on the 24th of march i commented on this, getting the three positions lined up is a little tricky, and i have done it many times and yesterday took the bags off to clean and it was still a fiddle.
easy to get two positions in but yo must pull on each one just to make sure,

i find the front fairing the hardest to get on

chywy

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2011, 11:23:05 PM »

My right bag goes on and locks slick as a whistle.  My left one needs a firm "smack" with my hand to drive the mechanism home.  The left one was originally almost impossible to remove as whoever handled the bag last got things misaligned and jammed it so bad I had to replace the spacers at the dealership.  What I consider a deficiency on the part of the moco is the fact the bags are 33% less usable space than stock bags on the Heritage.  Look behind your bags and tell me what is occupying all that extra space back there??? Air!  Think of all the space back there that could have been incorporated into the saddle bag!  My immediate thought was that the bags were really not custom built for this bike.  Must have been custom made for something else and somebody thought, "Gee, we could use them on this bike at $545 (???) per !   A shame.  I would love riding down the road with some real "stuff" in the bags on this bike.   Pork

I find myself having to do the same thing.  Royal pain - and I figure if I've got to hit something to get it to work - something isnt't right.  As far as the bags coming off - I wonder if weight in the ebag becomes an issue or part of the equation.  You can't help notice the waring not to put more than 10 lbs in the bag, which makes the bags worthless except to carrying a few cleaning supplies and rags.  I'll check out the solution that was posted to re-adjust the fittings.

chywy

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2011, 11:24:42 PM »

Pork,

Here's how to fix that sticky left bag: Loosen the 3 bolts that hold on the lower mounting bracket and put the bag on the bike. Tighten them up once the bag is on the bike and fully in place. It will operate as smoothly as the right one. I found that out after I replaced the arm that got bent when the bag took a tumble.

MikeV

Thanks for the tip,
CHYWY
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 21 queries.