Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: HB Wedge Primary Tensioner  (Read 10110 times)

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
HB Wedge Primary Tensioner
« on: June 04, 2010, 08:34:00 AM »

Anyone using one of these?http://www.sohotbikes.com/wedge.html   And how has it helped? Iam on my second rachet tensioner and would like to try this HB one out.  Thanks Doc

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
Re: HB Wedge Primary Tensioner
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 02:22:36 PM »

I have not used that one but have used the Hayden M6 on 2 previous bikes with great results. Matter of fact it worked so good I never checked it for 40k miles and the spring broke. Hayden gave me a new spring and told me the unit should be checked every 25k miles. Here is a link. Let me know which you chose and give us some feedback?

Face

http://www.haydensm6.com/m6_bt01.htm
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 02:35:11 PM »

The Hayden M6 only works on the '06 and earlier models with the older style primary; it won't match up with the mounting points of the new style primary.  It's unfortunate that Hayden doesn't offer a new version; I use the M6 on my '05 and IMHO it's a much better design than the ratcheting gizmo Harley came up with.  Very simple and not much to go wrong.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 01:09:08 AM »

The Hayden M6 only works on the '06 and earlier models with the older style primary; it won't match up with the mounting points of the new style primary.  It's unfortunate that Hayden doesn't offer a new version; I use the M6 on my '05 and IMHO it's a much better design than the ratcheting gizmo Harley came up with.  Very simple and not much to go wrong.

Jerry

Am I the only one that's thought the HD ratcheting part can get a little too tight?

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 01:19:13 AM »

Am I the only one that's thought the HD ratcheting part can get a little too tight?

Nope, and also seen them not be tight enough :nixweiss:

CVOMOE!!

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • BC

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 01:22:34 AM »

I'm currently running the wedge in my 2005 Electra Glide CVO.  Seems to work good.  It goes in a little tight to start with because it was designed for the 2007 up primary.  I used to use there HB125 in my other bikes and liked them.  Thought I would give the new design a try.  It definately beats having to adjust it.  I've never had the ratcheting one so can't comment on whether it is different but it works for me.

Cheers, Moe
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Banana - Sold
Freedom Tru-duals
Power Commander
Dyno tuned
Now a 107" with Cycle Shack exhaust and Race Tuner
2007 BMW1200GS - What a hoot - Sold May 2010
2011 Triumph Tiger 800 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere - Sold
2014 Yamaha XT250 - Sold
2014 BMW F800GS - Sold
2014 Kawasaki KLX 351
2017 Triumph Explorer 1200
2017 Harley Ultra Classic Ltd

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 01:24:15 AM »

Nope, and also seen them not be tight enough :nixweiss:

Thanks Jim.  Good to know it's not just my own paranoia.  Eyeballing and feeling the one in the red bike when the tensioner had about 5k it felt obviously too tight.  Enough so I opened it up to reseat and try again.  So far hasn't repeated but the incident was enough to keep me checking it regularly.

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 08:04:38 AM »

Seems as Thu some other sites dislike the SOHB wedge tensioner, all say poor quality and does not work well, but also state they have the first ones out, just wondering if the newer ones are any better, may people have sent the earlier ones back to SOHB. The HD ratchet unit I have now did not tighten up made for chit shifting and sloppy primary with a cold rattle. Went in and clicked it up and now when its hot it whirls, not good.   Doc

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 10:12:44 AM »

Seems as Thu some other sites dislike the SOHB wedge tensioner, all say poor quality and does not work well, but also state they have the first ones out, just wondering if the newer ones are any better, may people have sent the earlier ones back to SOHB. The HD ratchet unit I have now did not tighten up made for chit shifting and sloppy primary with a cold rattle. Went in and clicked it up and now when its hot it whirls, not good.   Doc

Thanks to H-D's changes over the past few years, we've lost some of the alternatives that the aftermarket provided.  At this point, I'm not aware of anyone else making a replacement for the Harley tensioner other than HB.  Since you've had such great luck with two of those fine devices from the MoCo, perhaps you should be the designated guinea pig Doc.  Go ahead and install one and give us a detailed report (installation, first riding impressions, followup over time and miles, etc.). ;D

I've not quite figured out yet why H-D chose to use the ratcheting mechanism rather than a straightforward spring or better yet a hydraulic tensioner.  Considering the fairly large difference in slack between hot and cold with a Harley primary chain, it would seem that the choices would tend toward always too loose or always too tight.  Make the ratchet steps too small, and the device will overtighten.  Make the steps too large, and the chain will get too loose before it goes to the next step.  Make the mechanism to the new Harley manufacturing tolerances (plus or minus whatever), and it's not real hard to understand why so many folks have issues with it.  Considering these are the folks who didn't exactly set the world on fire with their earlier attempts at automatic cam chain adjusters, perhaps they should have paid one of the aftermarket guys to design their automatic primary tensioner for them. :confused5:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

WVULTRA

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 04:55:07 PM »

My findings on the POS original SOHOT unit:

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/488747-sohotbikes-wedge.html#post6435059

Haven't heard if it's been upgraded/fixed or not.

Installed the latest H-D unit, and it's been trouble free!

:drink:
'07 Ultra Classic
Axtell Mountain Motor 107" 
Baisley Stage II Heads
HPI 48 Conversion TB
SE Intake w/Zippers Max-Flow
Rinehart Tru Duals
TTS MasterTune
'08 Brembo Conversion

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 08:37:37 AM »

My findings on the POS original SOHOT unit:

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/488747-sohotbikes-wedge.html#post6435059

Haven't heard if it's been upgraded/fixed or not.

Installed the latest H-D unit, and it's been trouble free!

After reading all the post in the HD Forums site on the SOHB wedge I will give up on that POS tensioner and wait for the M-6 to come out. As of today no new one from Hayden. I would be happy right now for a mechanical adjuster.   Doc

:drink:

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 09:10:31 AM »

:cherry:
I installed the new Sohot bike tensioner on my '09 SE 110.  So far, so good.  No extra noises, etc.  It appears to me to be just like the HD tensioner but minus the (ratchet teeth).....which is why I installed it.

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 11:41:49 AM »

Well mine should be on the way, I used their old HB125 on my '04 Ultra and was happy with it, hope this one works as well.  Like you 2Lane I'm not real impressed with the HD ratcheting setup, gets way to tight for me, just hope the damage isn't already done, my tranny sounds bad in 3rd and 4th, 5th has never gone away only gotten worse over time, I use 6th alot and it's quiet, but thats only over 65mph.  If it doesn't grenage before the end of summer I'll likely be pulling the gearset and picking up the Baker 7sp for it.  Don't really wanna shift a bunch more, but the better 1st ratio has me interested.

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 06:58:13 AM »

FR8TRN

Please let us know what you think of the wedge when you get it, I am wondering if they have updated it.  Thanks Doc

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 01:45:39 PM »

I gotz the HB Wedge in el Diablo and it is still loud in the primary and I didn't
think the quality was that good either.  The idea is very simple and if
someone could come up with a quality piece then they would make a fortune!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 21 queries.