Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Would new clutch plates or different clutch help?  (Read 1714 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Would new clutch plates or different clutch help?
« on: July 05, 2010, 03:30:58 PM »

When I got my '07 cuse with the 6 speed the first thing I noticed is that 1st gear was higher than my previous bikes.  Made no sense to me since I now have an additional gear for highway cruising and I guess the moco figured out its dumb decision since I know they changed it a couple years later.  And I know some have changed sprockets to lower the ratio but I don't want to go to the trouble and expense of that.  

When riding two-up and especially with the trailer behind I have to keep the clutch in the friction zone for what seems like an inordinate amount of time to get the bike launched.  In fact another rider commented on this.  The clutch does not appear to be slipping.  Once underway everything is perfectly normal.  It is just getting going from a stop requires this.

So is this just the way it is with this tranny and stock ratios or since I have 67k on it would new clutch plates help or would a different clutch entirely help me get the bike launched quicker and easier?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 04:39:33 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Would new clutch plates or different clutch help?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 07:35:47 AM »

Nope, it's the gearing.  And it's why I'm putting more thought into changing to a Baker DD7 - same high gear ratio, more liveable in the lower gears.  Shuddering away from stops two-up on hills last weekend pretty much decided it.  Too bad because I like everything else about the stock gearbox and don't want to give up the low highway rpm.  Add it to the list of expensive things one has to do to fix the '07s.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 06:30:07 PM »

Nope, it's the gearing.  And it's why I'm putting more thought into changing to a Baker DD7 - same high gear ratio, more liveable in the lower gears.  Shuddering away from stops two-up on hills last weekend pretty much decided it.  Too bad because I like everything else about the stock gearbox and don't want to give up the low highway rpm.  Add it to the list of expensive things one has to do to fix the '07s.
I hear 'ya.  I pretty much concluded the same thing but hope springs eternal.  Sure don't want to spring the bucks for a complete tranny.  May give some thought to changing the sprocket as others have.  If you do go the DD7 route let me know how it works for you please.

IBA member # 45520

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 07:52:36 PM »

Will do.  I have a list of things I plan to do after getting back from Sturgis.  Being up there usually triggers a bike re-build.  I may drop down to a 31-tooth front pulley too.  Baker says that's only 3% lower so it won't hurt the highway rpm much and give a little more off-the-line ooomph.  Eventually I will get this thing to where it should have come from the factory.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 10:22:17 AM »

Will do.  I have a list of things I plan to do after getting back from Sturgis.  Being up there usually triggers a bike re-build.  I may drop down to a 31-tooth front pulley too.  Baker says that's only 3% lower so it won't hurt the highway rpm much and give a little more off-the-line ooomph.  Eventually I will get this thing to where it should have come from the factory.
I think you are on the right track. I had 30t for a short time and found just a little to much but one toothe change should put you just right. Good luck and let us know. I know what Jerry is saying as the first gear take off especially with a passenger is heavy handed on the clutch starting off. If you don't have a passenger no problem but with is totally different.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 06:59:57 PM »

I think you are on the right track. I had 30t for a short time and found just a little to much but one toothe change should put you just right. Good luck and let us know. I know what Jerry is saying as the first gear take off especially with a passenger is heavy handed on the clutch starting off. If you don't have a passenger no problem but with is totally different.
Not even too terribly bad with just a passenger.  But add the passenger and the trailer and look out.  Getting launched is a test of wills.  So far I'm winning!

IBA member # 45520

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 02:48:11 PM »

With 67K, 2 up, and pulling a trailer you may be in need of a new clutch anyway. At 50K on the bike and 10K on the new Rivera clutch I was experiencing the same problem your are talking about. I do pull a trailer sometimes but I had burnt out the 4 center plates mostly from practicing slow cone maneuvers which are not conducive to a Rivera clutch.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 08:36:22 PM »

Not even too terribly bad with just a passenger.  But add the passenger and the trailer and look out.  Getting launched is a test of wills.  So far I'm winning!
That is what I meant Jerry, One person and the trailer not bad but add the passenger and trailer big difference. The old single puck brakes were a bit of a challenge stopping riding 2-up and pulling a tent trailer. Worse yet stopped on a gravel hill and got dragged backwards about 25 feet before stopped. :nervous: Trailer loaded was about 475lbs.

Page created in 0.392 seconds with 21 queries.