Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: CVO-FXR dual disc forks.......  (Read 11897 times)

lucille

• Full CVO Member
CVO-FXR dual disc forks.......
« on: November 23, 2010, 10:36:31 PM »

In an earlier post.....FXR2evo99, did you ever put together a dual disc setup for your bike?  Just finished a dual disc-39mm front end for my stripped down '91 FXRT.  Ended up buying the lowers from Elvis' Place in California, had them powdercoated (wet black) and used a 19" cast wheel.  The bike had a dual disc 41mm Wideglide, with a 21" wire wheel.......snow here now, and haven't given it the torture test yet.....just wondering if you had done it yet Tim........Greg

'92 FXRS Lowrider.....
'91 FXRT.....113 S&S...6 speed

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
Re: CVO-FXR dual disc forks.......
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 02:04:04 PM »

Greg,

Actually I am in the midst of this very project right now.  So far it's been a fun one.  

While Mikey was out here this summer, I spent about 30 minutes on his 2000 FXR4, within just a few moments I realized the advantages of having "dual" discs.  

Both Paul (zn14) who owns a FXR3 and I were/are running PM "chrome" 4 piston brakes until October of 2010 as Paul has completed his modification from the "single" PM brake caliper set up to a dual disc with the evo single piston brake calipers on both the right side and left side. He seems to be completely satisfied, if he could be pulled out from "lurking" maybe he will throw out a few comments.

As for me, I am currently collecting parts for my FXR2, currently I now have in my possession a brand new set of
OEM HD NOS chrome lower "Dual Disc" 39 mm fork tubes.   These were tough to locate even though as recently as the
2010 HD Catalog had them listed as a viable part number, but anyway because the OEM FXR2 forks have "chrome"
lowers I wanted to keep mine that way as well.  Ok so the "dual" disc chrome lower forks are in "the garage attic" lol......

Next came the need to locate a newer 11/16" diameter master cylinder (OEM for single disc is only a 9/16" master cylinder) and I acquired a brand new take off from a buddy's 2002 RKC as he had one all of this time in his garage since he had changed out his to a chrome set up before he even took his brand new bike out of the dealership, item number 2 "in the garage attic"..........lol.  

Of course the next item was a lot easier for Paul, or any other FXR3 owner for that matter, when it comes to the
wheel, all FXR3 owners already have a dual disc thunderstar front mag wheel, so such bikes are "ready to go" but us FXR2 owners have some decisions to make.  LONG STORY SHORT since I made the transition to a 19" laced wheel back in 2005 of which I like the looks of better than the 21" as well as the performance of I basically for $40.00 by visiting a local machine shop, made my current single disc 19" chromed laced/spoked wheel into a "dual disc" wheel butttttttttttt not before needlessly learning how to lace as well as true my current 19" laced/spoked wheel and gaining even more needless knowledge about wheel hubs, lol.....but oh welllllllllll lol just part of becomming more knowledgeable about these bikes, so now I have a 19" dual disc laced/spoked front narrow glide with a 3/4 axle set up , item # 3 "in the garage attic"..........lol, another part secured.

Next, I need to acquire the brake line set up, 3 new "black vivid" 3/4" axle floaing rotors, (so they all match of
course, lol rolling eyes), and finally 1 right evo single piston caliper then I will have all of my parts list put together.

So I am what you say working on it..........with more details and eventual part numbers and photos ro follow........but Greg thanks for asking.......LOL.

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 12:22:46 AM by FXR2evo99 »

lucille

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 11:11:59 PM »

You're well into it Tim.....the dual disc setup really finishes off the FXRs......the floating rotors are a good way to go, have three on my '92 also.  The MoCo rotors, calipers, brake lines and front master cylinder are all proven parts and keeps your bike 'true'.  Would like to see pics of it when you get it together......Greg
'92 FXRS Lowrider.....

lucille

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 06:55:40 PM »

Tim......getting your forks together?.....am interested in how they turn out.....
Am close to being done here, and will post some pics.
Question; Do the CVO FXRs all use the old FXRS-SP style handlebars?.......pullback risers?  Thanks Tim......Greg
'92 FXRS Lowrider.....

Frisco kid

• 1999 H-D FXR3
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 03:22:50 PM »

I am going to do this as well next month on my FXR 3.
I have the stock Thunderstar wheel and would like to know a list of parts needed for this and parts numbers if anyone has this handy.
From top to bottom I am thinking:
master cylinder
brake line
right side evo type caliper
rotor
right side "chrome" fork lower leg

I am sure there is more I am missing. Any help please with all involved and part numbers would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Tom
Live free or die like a rat in a trap.

1999 FXR3
EV27 Cam, Adjustable push rods, S&S Carb, Crane Single-Fire, RB Pipe.

lucille

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 06:46:21 PM »

Hi Tom...
Just ordered the dual disc brakelines this morning.......#45140-87A......for the lower FXRS-SP style handlebars.
Clutch cable #36755-87A...discontinued
My bike had drag style bars....9" risers, and 2" pullback so the throttle cables, clutch cable, and brakelines were all too long.

Will you have any trouble finding the right side lower leg in chrome?
Do you plan on using MoCo parts as much as possible?
Would like to hear how you are coming along when you get started....

In my case it was bringing a FXR back to being a FXR.....many aftermarket 'glitter' pieces on it......starting to look good now.
The most vexing fix was the wiring, and trying to streamline it and make it look half good.....
With your bike being a much improved vintage, you may have different part numbers......

Good luck with yours.......Greg
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 06:52:29 PM by lucille »
'92 FXRS Lowrider.....

Frisco kid

• 1999 H-D FXR3
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 03:36:07 AM »

I don't know. I hope I can find a chrome leg. Or there is the expensive option of chroming it.
Anyone done this?
Where does one find a fxr 4 leg? Is there other models that had chrome forks with dual disk?
Wait I am all wrong aren't I? Did the FXR4 use the newer brakes?
I was fishing all day and I am a bit tired.
I will revisit this in the morning and try to figure this out.
Tom

1999 FXR3

scottericsonon

• http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v210/scottericso
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 05:24:44 PM »

I'm going duals on my 1990 as well......

FWIW summit racing has 4 pot wilwood calipers for a VERY reasonable price.....

part number 120-7737 and 120-7736

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 01:56:22 PM »

Tim......getting your forks together?.....am interested in how they turn out.....
Am close to being done here, and will post some pics.
Question; Do the CVO FXRs all use the old FXRS-SP style handlebars?.......pullback risers?  Thanks Tim......Greg

Greg,

Actually I am working on the engine right now just about ready  to put it all back together.......should be mostly together by the end of the month (Jan).  I have however been getting my parts list together as well for the dual disc set up and some of those parts are purchased.

All I know about the handle bars is that the FXR2 & FXR3 are using a 28" wide handle bar as their OEM set up and as for the FXR set up, I am not exactly sure how wide those are.  There is also a difference in risers between the FXR2 + FXR3 (which are te same except the FXR3's risers are chromed while the FXR2's are aluminium) and the FXR4. 

Love to see pictures when you are finished!

Rgards,

Tim

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 02:55:04 PM »

A formal parts list is a bit difficult to offer until certain decisions are made, for example will one choose to use evo calipers or twin cam calipers or after market calipers, will one choose to use oem forks or after market forks, will one choose to use oem styled rotors or after market rotors etc.

So as for what to use for the forks you will discover that finding a "narrow glide" 39 mm "single" "chyromed" "right side" set up with the appropriate flange for a dual disc lower fork quite difficult if not TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE to locate a "single" right side as "just a lower fork chromed tube" so your options are:

1)  purchase a used or new "right" dual disc lower fork tube (billet aluminum) and have it chromed.  If you have it chromed make sure you have the chromer stop the chroming process as can be seen in the photo below or else you would find it rather "dicey" to use a fork brace in the future, the photo below is taken from a set of HD OEM # 45270-98 Chrome Lower Fork Sliders (A Set Of Two) which fits 92-99 FXDL, FXDX, FXDS-CONV, 87-94 FXRS-SP, 88-92 FXRT Models, Plus they will fit any of the before mentioned models which are being converted to "DUAL DISC".   You can find this part number on page 167 of a 2009 HD Parts & Acessories Catalog.  You will not find these in the 2010 or later catalogs as they are no longer offered.  So to locate these will take an effort to find, ie: ebay by chance, craig's list by chance, a random HD dealer by chance or via some sort of internet search by chance etc.   I know, I know you are thinking to yourself I don't need both sides, yes I agree but I was letting you know that at one time HD was offering "dual disc" lower tubes as a "chromed" set.  The picture below will help if you do desire to have any legs "chromed" via a chromer and where to ask the chromer to stop the chroming process, IF YOU PLAN to ever use a fork brace!! (look carefully at the flange at the end of the fork tube which is not chromed, this area when manufactured by HD and chromed is left free from chroming, chroming this area causes the the top tube to have to spread to fit over the "flange" area of the bottom tube if chromed, which makes putting a fork brace more "dicey")

2)  Your other options are to simply keep the lower fork tubes with the billet aluminum finish, thus you would have to purchase two, a right and a left, one could either then have them powder coated perhaps a "black" or siver finish" as well, and of course if one were to choose the powder coating option ONCE AGAIN study the photo below to determine WHERE TO STOP the powder coating process.

HD #  45922-87  Right Leg Dual Disc Aluminum Finish
ONLY AVAILABLE NEW THROUGH VINTAGE PARTS JUST A FEW REMAIN can only be purchased through a HD dealer so choose a 20% discount dealer. You have to tell the dealer to "check" with "vintage parts".

HD # 45921-87 LEFT LEG DUAL DISC ALUMINUM FINISH LOWER FORK SLIDER  $150.00 can be purchased via any HD dealer, this is an "active" part number.

Now the following part numbers listed below are for a "completel fork tube set up, not just the lower tubes but the upper tubes, springs seals etc, the whole "thing" as a unit, now there are plenty of these available.....lol wonder why....lol:

HD #  45949-92  RIGHT LEG FORK ASSEMBLY
HD #  45952-90  LEFT    LEG FORK ASSEMBLY

so there you have it the options you have when it comes to the forks.

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 03:27:29 PM by FXR2evo99 »

lucille

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 03:36:06 PM »

Good info and pics Tim.....thank you!
There are a few of us doing dual disc setups.......this is the second one for me.
The other option was to use the 41mm chromed dual disc Wide-Glide forks that were on my bike, and buy aftermarket narrow-glide trees....went with the Showa forks instead........good karma 8)
'92 FXRS Lowrider.....

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 04:28:41 AM »

Good info and pics Tim.....thank you!

WELCOME!!!
 :pepper:

Regards,

Tim

Frisco kid

• 1999 H-D FXR3
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 03:30:06 PM »

Good info guys thanks.
I found a chrome lower leg for $75 and a chrome 11/16 master cylinder for $60.
I am going to pull the legs and send to Traxxion for some internal work and then put it all together.
FYI CVO discounts still apply at Traxxion, not cheap but I am going to keep this bike.
I love looking at FXR's with inverted forks and all that, but I don't want to go that look with this bike.
Everyone seems real happy with them, so I am all signed up.
I think I am going with the best bang for the buck. And plan to only have it all apart one time.
One question on brake lines.
Do the brake lines connect to a splitter of some type, or is it a 1 line into 2 set?

1999 FXR3

Frisco kid

• 1999 H-D FXR3
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 03:54:56 PM »

Those wilwood calipers from Summit are a great price. 315.00 total for pair including shipping.
Thats 2 for the price of 1 PM caliper.
I see them on custom builds but not many people use them to replace oem.
I wonder why?

1999 FXR3

Frisco kid

• 1999 H-D FXR3
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 05:21:12 PM »

1999 FXR3
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 20 queries.