Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: PCIIIR vs. PCIII USB  (Read 3331 times)

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
PCIIIR vs. PCIII USB
« on: March 28, 2006, 01:21:01 PM »

Can someone tell me other than age what the main differences of these are.I set up an appointment to install a PCIIIr and he said was I sure it wasn't a USB.He said that it is more complex to map and tune with the r version than the USB version.Also He is charging me $250 for the dyno pulls and a custom map and install of the unit.This price seems fairr and he is a recognized dyno center from the PC site.All input is appreciated. Later,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: PCIIIR vs. PCIII USB
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 02:04:45 PM »

Q,
   I have the USB version.  My understanding is that the r model is more difficult to program,  and the only benifit is more coontrol over ignition timing....go to the PC website and do some HW.  The USB also allows you to upgrade firmware and features in the future (ie. mine didn't have the rev extend feature or the accelerator pump feature when I bought it......quick download and I got it all now).  Alot better than layin' out $300 for a new one.....IMHO,  the USB is the way to go

_Beagle [smiley=cherry.gif]
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 02:29:24 PM »

Hey Q
         I can verify that Beags' bike runs like a champ. I'd say this is great advice   ;)

The Mysterious Q!

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • CT
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 02:41:49 PM »

Next question.Is there a way to increase the rev limiter on the PCIIIr?Let me know.
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

ggraves427

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's a clean machine.
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 03:06:19 PM »

I just bought a USB to replace my r so that I could increase the rev limiter.  as for as I know you can not do it with the r version.  It was running great so I loaded the same map I had in the r.  The rev limiter was driving me nuts kind of like the pirate that came into a bar with a steering wheel stuffed down his pants.  The bar tender said excuse me is that a steering wheel in your pants and the pirate says arrrrrrrrrrr it's driving me nuts.  I know go to the jokes section, but it just seemed so appropriate.
2004 B&B, SEEG, Power Commander, S&S dual runner to single bore Tuned Air Induction System , D&D Performance 2 into 1 with fake left side, spoiler lights, LED lights, air horns, front fender spear, chopped tour box, in dash oil temp. guage

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 03:30:36 PM »

Q,
   The USB version is the way to go.  Who knows what DynoJet has in store for the future (at least with the USB version,  you can get the latest and greatest without buying new hardware).  All it takes is a PC (which you already have) and the USB cable that comes with it.

All the best

_Beagle
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 06:12:58 PM »

Q,

this might jog someone's memory but you SERK may have alredy had a dealer download done as part of pipe/air-kit work done to it before you became the owner, this download would have already bumped your rev limiter

a dealer can plug in a computer and tell you what mapping you have and what the rev limit is. there used to be a link on the site somewhere that had a PDF of all of the downloads that HD had. if the dyno guy your going to use for the PCIII also does RT tuning he should be able to read that info as well
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

displacing air

• Elite CVO Member
  • I am glad God answers no sometimes!
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 07:13:40 PM »

Yeah...I remember the post. I used it advice.

I did the ecm download for stage one with the rev limit increase
when I put on the pcIII usb. because at that time this was the only way
to get the rev. limiter increase. But I also did it because if I am on the road and the PCIII dies...I can just pull it, plug into the ecm and have a close enough tune to get to my destination.

Does anyone know what the upgrade of the PCIII would gain me...since I dont need the rev. limit increase?
2006 SEUC ...Watermelon Flavor!

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 10:43:21 PM »

Yeah...I remember the post. I used it advice.

I did the ecm download for stage one with the rev limit increase
when I put on the pcIII usb. because at that time this was the only way
to get the rev. limiter increase. But I also did it because if I am on the road and the PCIII dies...I can just pull it, plug into the ecm and have a close enough tune to get to my destination.

Does anyone know what the upgrade of the PCIII would gain me...since I dont need the rev. limit increase?

The only other feature that was added with the new firmware is the ability to add start up fuel. You can add a percentage increase for xx ( you decide) number of engine revolutions. This aids in starting larger motors.

The Mysterious Q!

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • CT
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 07:34:57 AM »

Q,

this might jog someone's memory but you SERK may have alredy had a dealer download done as part of pipe/air-kit work done to it before you became the owner, this download would have already bumped your rev limiter

a dealer can plug in a computer and tell you what mapping you have and what the rev limit is. there used to be a link on the site somewhere that had a PDF of all of the downloads that HD had. if the dyno guy your going to use for the PCIII also does RT tuning he should be able to read that info as well
Hey Neal I did the pipes and the air filter change so I doubt it ever was upgraded.But it wont hurt to check.Thanks

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 10:49:31 AM »

Hey Barry,

The newest software will allow them to go back in and tune each cylinder independently hence tweak your ride to be a little bit better than it is.   Is it worth the money to do it, that is up to you.

its only cash and besides look at all the remodeling hehe
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

hdhiwayman

• Junior CVO Member
  • The nut between the handle bars and the saddle
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 10:56:08 AM »

O.K. bear with me I'm not sharpest knife in the drawer but here is my question. If you have installed the USB model with a custom map, and you then get the down load to increase the revs. to 6200. Do you need to "re-dyno" for the increase in range from 5800 - 6200 RPM?
If the map is left alone will you lean out at the top?
2006 SE Autum Haze
Freedom Power package
A little bling bling
2002 Road King
Stage 2: Andrews cams w/Rineharts true duals and DFO
Too much to list
Yes I am a chromeaholic

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 11:00:59 AM »

I would at least put it on the dyno to understand what your fuel is at that excessive amount.   See the funny part is the rev limit should only be extended for the oops oh chit i missed the shift in most guys cases.   If you're no longer making power past 5400 rpm whats the sense of running it out that far anyway.  That isnt the case where if you are making power than what the hell twist it and just make sure you're not to lean especially on the top end.   I prefer to be 12.8 to 1 in that range.    The problem will become that you have no idea what the harley fuel table looks like past 5800 since there really was none, so you just cant extend out the PC tables because it relates back to the harley tables for a base.   Hence why I suggest to find out what engine shows on the dyno to be sure you're not to lean.

hope that helps if not pm me
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2004  SE-103          ROAD KING CLASSIC
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 11:13:01 AM »

Can someone tell me other than age what the main differences of these are.I set up an appointment to install a PCIIIr and he said was I sure it wasn't a USB.He said that it is more complex to map and tune with the r version than the USB version.Also He is charging me $250 for the dyno pulls and a custom map and install of the unit.This price seems fairr and he is a recognized dyno center from the PC site.All input is appreciated. Later,Q
where are you having the bike tuned?
250 is the going rate.
the usb is the better version.

2004 flhrci se-103 pearl white
bassani true duals w/ho mufflers
se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers
2008 lincoln mark lt(silver)

The Mysterious Q!

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • CT
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 11:20:48 AM »

Its being tuned at an authorized Dynojet Tuner in Danbury.Its called Dyno-Solutions.

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2006, 11:41:50 AM »

Its being tuned at an authorized Dynojet Tuner in Danbury.Its called Dyno-Solutions.
he did my bike.
good tuner!

se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 09:16:11 AM »

did you ever get the bike tuned?

se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers

The Mysterious Q!

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • CT
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 04:42:39 PM »

Its scheduled for Sat.but the weather doesn't look like it wants to cooperate.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 21 queries.