Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Valve noise on 2006 CUSE  (Read 4938 times)

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
Valve noise on 2006 CUSE
« on: April 10, 2006, 08:51:41 AM »

Has anyone had an issue with their 2006 CUSE where you get valve chatter when starting from a stop and also in other gears when the engine is fully warmed up? Chatter occurs when a moderate load is put on the engine. Bike is stock setup ... no AC, pipes or other engine mods (yet). Oil levels are good. Running AMSOIL. I have the lowers vents open. I just started noticing it this week since the ambient temperature has climbed above 70 degrees. Riding has been both a combo of city and open road. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Valve noise on 2006 CUSE
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 09:17:24 AM »

SEUltra,

I have not seen any of this to date, but i would ask you have you checked the bolts that hold the horn / motor mount bracket to be sure they are all tight.   I had a noise previously that sounded like chatter and it turned out that the front bolt had worked its way loose and it was infact the horn chattering :)

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 10:37:03 AM »

Has anyone had an issue with their 2006 CUSE where you get valve chatter when starting from a stop and also in other gears when the engine is fully warmed up? Chatter occurs when a moderate load is put on the engine. Bike is stock setup ... no AC, pipes or other engine mods (yet). Oil levels are good. Running AMSOIL. I have the lowers vents open. I just started noticing it this week since the ambient temperature has climbed above 70 degrees. Riding has been both a combo of city and open road. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Is it possible you are hearing DETONATION????????? I will bet that is what it is. Now is the time to change your air cleaner, exhaust and fuel injection mangement.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 10:38:35 AM by DCFIREMANN »
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

lvrider

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 11:03:32 AM »

I recently noticed a similar problem this week with my 05 banana, except mine sounds more like chirping when accelerating through the gears or when giving it more throttle to accelerate.  I didn't have this problem until the dealer replaced my wheels due to chrome issues.  Could it be my rear tire was not adjusted properly and my drive belt is loose?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 11:12:32 AM »

Is it possible you are hearing DETONATION????????? I will bet that is what it is. Now is the time to change your air cleaner, exhaust and fuel injection mangement.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
Wouldn't be surprised if it was pinging / detonation.  More likely to notice it once the outside temps start rising.  Also check for loose nuts/bolts at the motor mounts, and I've personally had the fairing lower vents give me a squeak/chirp at low rpms.  I'd put my money on detonation, however.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 12:30:27 PM »

Wouldn't be surprised if it was pinging / detonation.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 12:57:02 PM »

SEULTRA,

I'll give it a shot: Normal combustion is a controlled burn (not an explosion as some think) that travels from the ignition source (spark plug) across the combustion chamber to consume the air/fuel mixture.

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 01:03:20 PM »

Thanks!
Scoot goes into the shop tomorrow for the issue. Damn thing oughta run right as manufactured by the MOCO without me having to spend more money on a fuel management system, AC, pipes, yada yada yada. Maybe the dealer will install a SERT as a warranty fix??  ;D ;D ;D
I still won't buy a Honda but it does make me entertain the thought.  >:(

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 01:29:37 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, SEULTRA,
  I tend to agree with grc.  Sounds a bit lean to me.  If you are seriously contemplating exhaust and air intake modifications, add a SERT to the list.  This in concert with a good tuner, will eliminate the current situation you are experiencing with your Motor.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 01:34:01 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, SEULTRA,

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 03:15:39 PM »

YOU USED THE WORDS "VALVE CHATTER". ARE YOU SURE THE NOISE IS COMING FROM THE VALVE TRAIN?  ITS COMMON TO HEAR "CHATTER NOISE FROM THE TRANS IF YOUR LUGGING MOTOR @ A LOW RPM.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 03:24:43 PM »

YOU USED THE WORDS "VALVE CHATTER". ARE YOU SURE THE NOISE IS COMING FROM THE VALVE TRAIN?

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006, 04:02:14 PM »

SEULTRA do yourself a favor and CHANGE THOSE PIPES they have a catylast in them. Your bike will run cooler and much better and your mileage will increase. You must also change the air cleaner and add at the very least a sert. I promise if done right you will love your ride even more and no more PING!!!!! Jerry good description on detonation. Except for the fact everytime it happens it is hammering away at you piston tops.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2006, 04:28:32 PM »

SEUltra one other question does it sound like in the older car days when you got bad gas almost like a pinging noise or run on after you turned off the key less the final pop?

If it does than that is one sign of detonation.   Usually its to lean / timing is way off usually the places you see this and of course bad gas :).

In the case I had with the 103 to quick closing intake on cam with over compression and even retarding the timing didnt get rid of the detonation.   Had to go to a larger cam / compression releases to get rid of it.

Does the problem go away if you add an octane booster to the fuel (just as a test) ?
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2006, 04:54:09 PM »

SEUltra one other question does it sound like in the older car days when you got bad gas almost like a pinging noise or run on after you turned off the key less the final pop?

If it does than that is one sign of detonation.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2006, 05:43:24 PM »

SEUltra,
If this were me to verify this you might consider draining the tank easy to do just smelly and go get some fresh gas from say a Chevron or a BP / Amoco and put in a bit more than they suggest octane booster and go ride for 30 minutes it will either help or it won't and it may save you a trip to the doctor you know.  Detuning to accept bad gas is not something i would want to do its why i try to use only Chevron and Amoco / bp gas.

Good luck either way.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2006, 06:28:25 PM »

HARRY I just got off the phone with a friend of mine that is a petro engineer. He advised me when I questioned the abrupt rise in gas prices that the OIL COMPANIES are making our fuel more enviromentally friendly by adding 15% ethenol. Ain't this some $hit!!!!!  I would think he SEULTRA has a problem from within. All he needs is to let his 103 breath. Remember he an 06 model which has a catylast muffler.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2006, 06:50:31 PM »

I had read something related to this. More ethanol being added and the supply of corn was down, hence that's the reason fuel prices were rising. Seems to me somebody just wants the cost of fuel to go up, no matter who is getting the money/profit. [smiley=confused5.gif]

Dawg,
On that note, I can remember when I first got my bike there was a warning (in owners manual) concerning using some mixture of fuel (can't remember exactly what it was), but it stated it would do harm to our motors. With this new mixture of fuel, how will this effect our motors?

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2006, 07:17:14 PM »

Dawg,

While that maybe true before he goes and removes the pipes and spends a lot of money he may want to be sure that its not an easy fix short term, based on additives.   Not saying he shouldnt change the pipes, but at least understand the root cause before spending bling on it.

-harry

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2006, 08:36:20 PM »

Dawg,

While that maybe true before he goes and removes the pipes and spends a lot of money he may want to be sure that its not an easy fix short term, based on additives.
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2006, 09:46:26 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, SEULTRA,
  Here's a sure fix.  Take your 103 out, and buy one of those HD Coffee Tables, that are designed around a Twin-Cam Motor, for more decor in your Harley Room at Home.  Then, install a complete Zipper's 124, and presto, no more pingin'!  Just a thought, SE, just a thought.  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2006, 10:05:47 PM »

Ya know, I never suspected bad gas and have not tried an octane booster. I've had 2 different tanks of gas from 2 different vendors/locations and the same thing is happening. It does kinda sound like the "run-on" in older cars (damn! We must be gettin' old...)
I particularly don't like the fact that it's doing it on acceleration in all gears when it's hot.

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2006, 10:14:02 PM »

Bad gas, or possibly lower than advertised Octane....I had it on mine last fall when the gas prices went thru the roof, I don't know if they were putting lower octane in the tanks or what but mine started doing it out of the blue.  Not at all stations though, so if I filled up and it was doing it I'd dump in a little octane booster and it would go away in a few miles.  When prices started coming back down and gas supply to the area was back to near normal I quit having the problem, remainder of the octane boost is sittin on my shelf, want me to send it to ya??  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

Try using name brand stations (Exxon, Sunoco.....) only, if ya can get Sunoco 94 then run that, they are few and far between around here.  Never had a problem from the name brand stations, but the Wawa's, Sheetz, Royal Farms and stuff like that seemed to be the issue.

Good thought... I'm going to see what the wrench at the dealer comes up with tomorrow (if anything) and will dump some octane booster into a full tank. BTW, what brand of octane booster did you use? How much of it did you add to a tank of gas? I expect there would be a ratio on the container.
I'd be happy if that was the fix... I always hate to chance having the scoot get even more screwed up after a visit to the dealer.... that's why I try to do as much as I can myself.

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2006, 10:18:03 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, SEULTRA,
  Here's a sure fix.  Take your 103 out, and buy one of those HD Coffee Tables, that are designed around a Twin-Cam Motor, for more decor i[highlight]n your Harley Room at Home[/highlight].  Then, install a complete Zipper's 124, and presto, no more pingin'!  Just a thought, SE, just a thought.  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] Later--HUBBARD

Hey Hubbard.... how did you know I have a Harley room at my house??? :o
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 10:38:06 PM by SEULTRA »

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2006, 10:19:41 PM »

Good thought... I'm going to see what the wrench at the dealer comes up with tomorrow (if anything) and will dump some octane booster into a full tank. BTW, what brand of octane booster did you use? How much of it did you add to a tank of gas? I expect there would be a ratio on the container.
I'd be happy if that was the fix... I always hate to chance having the scoot get even more screwed up after a visit to the dealer.... that's why I try to do as much as I can myself.

Geez ya want me to get off my comfy couch and go see what brand it is????  It was whatever the biggest cheapest bottle of the stuff was at the local auto parts store..... [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

johnnymap

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5

• CVO1: 2010 Burnt Amber/Citrus
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG Two Tone Red
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG BWO
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2006, 10:36:07 PM »

I have a noise  in my 06 UCSE  in the top end after the motor is warmed up, that sounds similar to gravel in a mixer.  This noise showed up showed up after about 500 miles.  It also idles like chit after it is warmed up.  Took it in for the 1k service today and told the service manager about it.  He said they will get it fixed.

Also the cold start and coughing problem that everyone else is having, finally showed up over the weekend.  We were in the hill country in Texas and the morning temp was about 45 degrees yesterday morning and it did not want to start.  The bike at this point is totally stock.  No mods.  Maybe it needs some.

I have not had any pinging lilke I did with the 05 SEEG.  But then I figured out how to ride it and how it wanted to be ridden and then put  the SERT on it an all is well.

john
"The past is a place to be remembered, but not a place to dwell"

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2006, 10:36:49 PM »

Geez ya want me to get off my comfy couch and go see what brand it is????  It was whatever the biggest cheapest bottle of the stuff was at the local auto parts store..... [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Oh, sorry..... didn't mean to interrupt your .... 'er .... whatever it is that you were doing on the couch.  ;D

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2006, 08:00:22 AM »

Oh, sorry..... didn't mean to interrupt your .... 'er .... whatever it is that you were doing on the couch.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2006, 08:23:03 AM »

Don't worry SEULTRA he will have to get off the couch sooner or later .... :)   Its the law of bladder over fluids .... unless of course he is one of those mayonaise jar guys then it could be a while.

I was surprised to hear you had to go to the kitchen FR8TRN I would have figured all those comforts so close you had a small fridge hidden under a coffee table or sumthin.  

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2006, 04:40:01 PM »

Hey Hubbard.... how did you know I have a Harley room at my house??? :o
Don't we all. [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Just some of us have the digital camera's to share pictures of our "shrines". ;D

/me thought he'd "bust" on himself before someone else did. [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2006, 05:14:53 PM »

Don't we all. [smiley=nixweiss.gif] [highlight]Just some of us have the digital camera's to share pictures of our "shrines"[/highlight]. ;D

Yeah, and it looks like chrome too!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 05:15:34 PM by SEULTRA »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2006, 05:42:36 PM »

SEULTRA,
You know there is a method to my madness...

/me thought he'd beat you to the punch!!!! [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2006, 09:15:55 AM »

HARRY I just got off the phone with a friend of mine that is a petro engineer. He advised me when I questioned the abrupt rise in gas prices that[highlight] the OIL COMPANIES are making our fuel more enviromentally friendly by adding 15% ethenol.[/highlight] Ain't this some $hit!!!!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2006, 09:26:04 AM »

On that note, I can remember when I first got my bike there was a warning (in owners manual) concerning using some mixture of fuel (can't remember exactly what it was), but it stated it would do harm to our motors. With this new mixture of fuel, how will this effect our motors?

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
'd00d,

The stuff you definitely want to avoid is methanol - it does evil things to the rubber and plastic parts in the fuel system.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2006, 09:36:39 AM »

HARRY I just got off the phone with a friend of mine that is a petro engineer. He advised me when I questioned the abrupt rise in gas prices that the OIL COMPANIES are making our fuel more enviromentally friendly by adding 15% ethenol. Ain't this some $hit!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 09:45:20 AM by Rjob749 »

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2006, 10:13:19 AM »

Got the scoot back from the dealer yesterday PM. Their fix was to "install an update flash" presumably from the MOCO. Took it out and rode it for about 45 minutes in both city and highway driving. Ambient temp about 70. Bike starts and runs MUCH better. Started it up from cold this AM ambient temp about 50. Never coughed or sputtered. Warmed it for about 1 minute before riding. No hestitation/missing/coughing issues. Will report more when I ride this PM... temps supposed to be around 80. Will ride with the lower vents closed to test the heat issue. So far, so good. Could be a good fix. Nothing could please me more. (Well, ..... almost nothing!)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 11:07:41 AM by SEULTRA »

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2006, 08:46:28 PM »

Mine had the problem described and got louder as the rpm climbed in any gear.
Turned out to be piston slap at 2000 miles. A new front jug and piston cured the problem.
Dave

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2006, 10:07:41 PM »

Mine had the problem described and got louder as the rpm climbed in any gear.
Turned out to be piston slap at 2000 miles. A new front jug and piston cured the problem.
Dave

Ouch!!! Hope the "Boo Boo" is all better. Mine seems to be running well as of now.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2006, 12:49:45 PM »

Got the scoot back from the dealer yesterday PM. Their fix was to "install an update flash" presumably from the MOCO. Took it out and rode it for about 45 minutes in both city and highway driving. Ambient temp about 70. Bike starts and runs MUCH better. Started it up from cold this AM ambient temp about 50. Never coughed or sputtered. Warmed it for about 1 minute before riding. No hestitation/missing/coughing issues. Will report more when I ride this PM... temps supposed to be around 80. Will ride with the lower vents closed to test the heat issue. So far, so good. Could be a good fix. Nothing could please me more. (Well, ..... almost nothing!)

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2006, 10:04:49 PM »

For those with similar issues.... I went by the dealer and spoke to the wrench that did the flash and he said that the factory installs a 06X map on the ECU to meet EPA requirements. He installed the 06B map in mine. It runs much better! No issues now with startup and driveability.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

fxdjerry

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2006, 01:31:02 AM »

ac,rt,pipes=nice running bike ;)

stock will most likely ping in hot climate plus the fairing acts as an amplifier for every ping just to complete the annoyance, kind of like a built in ping monitor. :-/

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2006, 11:17:13 AM »

ac,rt,pipes=nice running bike ;)

stock will most likely ping in hot climate plus the fairing acts as an amplifier for every ping just to complete the annoyance, kind of like a built in ping monitor. :-/

Right you are... as soon as I get the $$$$$$$$ I'll be upgrading to that very thing.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 21 queries.