Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Broken rocker arm  (Read 1307 times)

d-rock

• Full CVO Member
Broken rocker arm
« on: April 17, 2006, 08:17:11 PM »

While out for a ride today I heard somthing break and then only one cylinder was running. The rocker arm broke off on the intake side of the rear cylinder, the end of the arm on the pushrod snapped right off.  :( Now if they were stock arms it would have been covered under the srevice plan, but I bought the SE roller rockers (so they wouldn't break!!) and it broke. No other damage to the motor. Has anyone else had this happen of am I just the lucky one again.
113 inch S.E.
The parts list will never be put in writing :)

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

Re: Broken rocker arm
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 08:51:27 PM »

While out for a ride today I heard somthing break and then only one cylinder was running. The rocker arm broke off on the intake side of the rear cylinder, the end of the arm on the pushrod snapped right off.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 09:36:52 PM by HUBBARD »
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 09:32:02 PM »

Hub it's a first for me also. DROC what did the head of the pushrod looklike???? I have heard of problems there with the SE adjustables.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 08:07:54 AM »

I had a rocker arm break on a car I had some time ago (like about 30+ years!!!)

It was a Hillman Avenger - sold as the Plymouth Cricket in the US I believe?

It wasn't a very sporty car but had twin Strombergs, dual valve springs (thick outer, thin inner) and a slightly "hotter" camshaft - I think it produced about 75bhp and 90ft/lbs Tq - than the cooking versions.

Anyway -

I took the head apart to replace the rocker arm and found an inner valve spring had broken and become wedged in the coils of the outer thus stopping it from compressing and hence the rocker broke.

No other damage at all but I stripped the head, re-ground the valves and de-coked the head (remember those days) while I was in there. All very easy in those far-off 'simple' days

The valve spring thing is probably not applicable in this case but it just got me remembering...

Cheers

Dave
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

d-rock

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 09:14:39 AM »

Hubbard,
I am runnin the SE 264 cams. There was no warning it was running great then snap. I also think that the rocker was bad from the start and was only a matter of time before failure. I have just under 1000mi on the new 113.The pushrods are the perfect fit not ajustable ones and it looks fine not even bent. The new Jims rockers just came in this morning, I know there the same as the SE rockers but just want to try a diffrent name I guess. This motor has 122hp and 121 ft-lbs of torque but is no reason for the failure.IMO  D-roc
113 inch S.E.
The parts list will never be put in writing :)

Page created in 0.964 seconds with 21 queries.