Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: engine noise  (Read 1277 times)

phat06

• FLHRSEI.ORG
engine noise
« on: May 08, 2006, 10:43:44 AM »

ive got a se fatboy 2006 and right about 650 miles i noticed a lot of engine noise like cam chain/valve clatter then on accel it sound like im running 5 weight oil. all this happens when hot.this is my 2nd harley my firs was a 2004 dyna lowrider and it was nice and quiet im using 20/50 synthentic in the crankcase should just not listen or could i have a problem im an auto tech for the last 20 years and its kind of hard tonot pay attenion to these noises

phat06

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: engine noise
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 10:45:07 AM »

heeres a pic of my scoot

fxdjerry

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 11:06:29 AM »

heeres a pic of my scoot

That's a nice bike! If there is something wrong with the bike bring it to the dealer to document/cover the warranty. Your a trained mechanic It may be you just need experience around cement mixer engines. It does seem like mine gets noisier when hot in traffic. I guess I would check AFR make sure not too lean. Good Luck! [smiley=drink.gif]

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 11:08:10 AM »

With the limited number of miles you have on your bike, and if this is something that wasn't heard from start I would definitely have it checked out. Since you are a auto tech trust your ears, as they are probably more sensitive to this type of noise then the average person. Couple of things you may want to listen/check if you haven't already are....

1. Is this noise heard from one side of bike better then other (thinking maybe it could be primary chain needs adjusted, compensator nut problems, or cams/chain/tensioners need looking at).

2. Is the noise heard more at bottom of motor or in the top (again this may help pinpoint problem)

3. I'm sure you've already done this, but are your fluid levels correct (oil, primary)?

Bottom line, is have it checked out by dealer (even if you plan on/or are doing your own maintenance) as this will be a warranty issue if something is wrong.

BTW - Nice looking scooter

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 11:09:48 AM by flhtcse2004 »
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

phat06

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 11:38:19 AM »

thanks for your help guys im used to the whisper quiet crotch rocket engines. after my owning my harley ill never buy another jap bike again

fxdjerry

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 08:02:16 PM »

thanks for your help guys im used to the whisper quiet crotch rocket engines. after my owning my harley ill never buy another jap bike again

You got a good one there! Sounds like u may be new to Harleys? Have fun!

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 21 queries.