Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Screaming Eagle Pro Twin Cam 103 Heads  (Read 17348 times)

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: Screaming Eagle Pro Twin Cam 103 Heads
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2011, 03:31:10 PM »

Hillside thanks for your help in this i appreciate it.To be fair iwth my mechanic he did mention those numbers friday as you did but i asked him about the heat issue in going that high and he said "the higher you go the more it will generate"so i kind of erased that idea because as being one of my top choices to do.

Now again to be fair to him he did mention earlier in the week about the woods stuff it was either 9B or something but i thought reading from the forum that they were too noisy so i told him i wasn't interested in them but maybe its time to reconsider.

We build engines day after week after month, and have for over 25 plus years now.
Just letting you in on what we see works, and works well.
Good luck.
Scott

RoadKing04

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2011, 08:53:21 PM »

"That 117 with a 625 S&S cam and 10.5/1 compression and some only mild head work is very sensible and practical and will not break the bank or help subsidize the towing industry. Think it over before building for the big numbers"

Scott thanks for your input.I do want a motor that i can just cruise with when riding with my club but also a motor that when i get out and have some fun in the higher rpm's off the line i can do that too. When you mentioned above about mild head work can you tell me how mild by the measurement of my heads which are 2.080/1.625,can you tell me what will be the mild change for it saids in the specs of these heads that they are set up for 10.5.1 compression.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2011, 11:58:17 PM »

Not Scott, my name is Don
OK take a look at the PDF file I posted. It shows those heads before and after porting. The valve sizes are just one part of the equation, you see. Comparing them to the R&R heads is not really fair even if the valves are similar size. The R&R cast heads flow well right out of the box. Your ports have to be proportioned right and worked to get any appreciable gain from those higher lift cams. It doesn't take too much work to get the 103+ head to work well though. I like the heads a lot. My customers have used them on 103,107, and 113" motors and made very strong power and torque without excessive heat, but the compression was on the lower side of what would make maximum power.
By the way if you have a 117" that is not a size that is supported by Harley Davidson and there are no Screaming Eagle pistons that work with that bore.
If you would like to talk more feel free to PM or call me. 253-691-5893

RoadKing04

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2011, 12:43:35 AM »

Sorry don for the mix up.I will surely give u a call.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2011, 07:06:41 AM »

"That 117 with a 625 S&S cam and 10.5/1 compression and some only mild head work is very sensible and practical and will not break the bank or help subsidize the towing industry. Think it over before building for the big numbers"

Scott thanks for your input.I do want a motor that i can just cruise with when riding with my club but also a motor that when i get out and have some fun in the higher rpm's off the line i can do that too. When you mentioned above about mild head work can you tell me how mild by the measurement of my heads which are 2.080/1.625,can you tell me what will be the mild change for it saids in the specs of these heads that they are set up for 10.5.1 compression.

If you had been here, when you said you were going to be, after the diagnosis that www.joescyclerepair.com, had in regards to your Timken bearing mess, you would have been enjoying your motorcycle for some time now.  ???
We don't have the time here, to write multi-paragragh diatribes, as we are in the midst of doing what others type about, going 65-70 hrs a week,(used to pull off 80-85 hr weeks, and then race AHDRA events on Sundays) in the shop year round.
This is want WE do for a living. This is HOW we make our living. Not part-time, or after our 9-5 job. ;)
Scott

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2011, 09:11:55 AM »

If you had been here, when you said you were going to be, after the diagnosis that www.joescyclerepair.com, had in regards to your Timken bearing mess, you would have been enjoying your motorcycle for some time now.  ???
We don't have the time here, to write multi-paragragh diatribes, as we are in the midst of doing what others type about, going 65-70 hrs a week,(used to pull off 80-85 hr weeks, and then race AHDRA events on Sundays) in the shop year round.
This is want WE do for a living. This is HOW we make our living. Not part-time, or after our 9-5 job. ;)
Scott

RoadKing04

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »

If you had been here, when you said you were going to be, after the diagnosis that www.joescyclerepair.com, had in regards to your Timken bearing mess, you would have been enjoying your motorcycle for some time now.  ???
Scott

Hey Scott,
nobody is forcing you to read or respond to this thread in any way shape or form,if you are too busy then my suggestion would be not to respond to the thread and worry about your racing events that you just posted about.

Don,
yes you are right about the pistons.The mechanic did tell me that a custom piston would have to be made and he suggested axtel doing it or what he said was get the pistons[screaming eagle] then have axtel match them up to the heads.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 01:30:17 PM by RoadKing04 »

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2011, 01:54:27 PM »

Hey Scott,
nobody is forcing you to read or respond to this thread in any way shape or form,if you are too busy then my suggestion would be not to respond to the thread and worry about your racing events that you just posted about.

Don,
yes you are right about the pistons.The mechanic did tell me that a custom piston would have to be made and he suggested axtel doing it or what he said was get the pistons[screaming eagle] then have axtel match them up to the heads.

Oh, ok. :2vrolijk_21:
Glad you have me pointed in the right direction now. :D
Thanks.

RoadKing04

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2011, 03:29:23 PM »

Can you get 150hp/140trq out of a 117ci with using s/s 640 cams? I posted this because this is what i wanted from the beggining what you see here in this dyno sheet but after 2 brake downs and not having the right parts to acheive this once the motor was opened up i realized i got burned.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 03:51:32 PM by RoadKing04 »

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2011, 03:32:47 PM »

Can you get 150hp/140trq out of a 117ci with using s/s 640 cams?

Probably can, for a few minutes anyway!

:huepfenlol2:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2011, 07:00:09 PM »

If you are testing at that facility "uncorrected" it should not be too hard. If you took the same bike elsewhere not likely but would be in the ball park assuming your motor health is good.

RoadKing04

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2011, 08:27:59 PM »

Don,
let me ask you this and that is when you get this kind of work done to your motor and you get it dyno'd at whatever shop you go to should those same numbers hold up on any other dyno and if not what is the percentage point in your opinion should those numbers be in of the original tune?

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2011, 10:41:29 PM »

The dyno is meant to be a tuning aid, a tool. Customers and vendors get in the picture and what is not a truly consistent data instrument becomes a tool for bragging rights and the results are elevated from what may be say ~+10% to a level of gospel. Just my opinion.
Harleytechtalk.org has adopted a defacto standard and only allows results displayed with SAE correction applied. A small step to consistency at least. There are different vintage of these dynos, different calibrations, different manufactures, sampling tricks, at least 3 different correction ("actual power" is no correction at all which at sea level in the right temperature and humidity is a real power added), sampling is done in different gears.

So to answer your question the results are best used as a soft guide to what the bike will really do in a race. The results are just a snapshot of wide open from 2k or 2.5K to redline. There is nothing about that run that guarantees the bike is smooth at cruise and running through the gears or doesn't ping and heat itself to death.
If you are in the area of NY there are a few good dyno tuners that will have late model calibrated 250I dynos and will give you results in SAE, STD or uncorrected, they are also excellent tuners (the important part) and know how to get the EFI to work well with the combination of parts they are handed, usually.

RoadKing04

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2011, 12:30:49 AM »

DeweysHeads,
I took your advice and i had the tune checked by an independent shop and they said the tune was dead on at 13.7 at cruise except for one spot around 60mph at 2800rpm's were it leans out to 14.7 and that is were my problem is at.

So the dyno jet operator suggested to take it back to harley and have the tuner fix that one spot in the thottle position and i shoud be good.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 12:57:09 AM by RoadKing04 »
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.