Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: SE 103 comments, American Iron Mag  (Read 3787 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: SE 103 comments, American Iron Mag
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2006, 08:00:52 PM »

Hey Harry, you mean all those advertisements for the 'hemi' that I see on TV are misguided?  [smiley=confused5.gif] Har!  ;D spyder
spyder,

Unfortunately, the Chrysler Hemi and the Harley hemi are two different animals.  Only the overall shape of the combustion chamber is the same.  Our heads have an off center spark plug and no squish band, so combustion is much less efficient than the Chrysler.  Too bad H-D didn't do something about adding some turbulence to the air/fuel, and maybe do the dual plug thing like they did some time back with the Sportster.  

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2006, 08:17:17 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Gentlemen,
  I was informed American Iron did an article with Neal Taylor on the Jim's 120, in the April, '06, issue.  Can't find it.  Anyone seen it?  Please advise.  BTW, before I built my 120, Tilley worked the Stock 88 Heads on Ol' Maudie.  Tilley does a lot of Headwork for S&S, too.  I've seen pallets full of 'em there.  He fine tuned my Zipper's Heads, too.  I'll try and get the spec's on 'em, and post.  Later--HUBBARD
Hub,

American Iron had a tech article on the JIMS 120 in the May 2006 issue, page 56, but it wasn't with Neal.  They had a fellow named Kenny Molenhouse from JIMS do the wrenching.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2006, 01:02:16 PM »

GC Super,

Could you please backup your comments with why you feel they don't suck.   I have done the testing with 3 different people working these heads massaging them and all out new CNCing of them and they still were less than any htcc bathtub shaped out of the box.   The hemi design was done for epa and unless you weld them up they suck, so I am interested in your retort to why you feel they don't suck LOL.

-harry

Harry, when I said they don't suck, I meant they don't perform very well. Just a misunderstanding.

Later, Robert
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2006, 05:29:15 PM »

GC,

No problem, I was hoping you were going to enlighten us to the hidden secret and save us all a bunch of money since our OCD is so strong.  

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

475wildey

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2006, 09:18:18 PM »

Man,
I could not agree more with you and that article. The first thing I did was the heads/pistons. I think it was close to 2,500 miles when I made mine more like what it should have been. For some strange reason, the particular HTCC heads I got, were not manufactured for the next year. My suspect is that in '04 they made the improvements to the heads, and pistons. Makes sense. Then in '05 I saw the part number back in the book, and now its gone. H-D#16934-02A CNC Ported HTCC Heads (Silver) and the pistons, I cannot find the part numbers, but they were the matched set for the heads. My dealer screwed up something, and ended up haveing to change out the jugs, so they did a overbore (.015) ,and matching pistons. I noticed a significant and major improvement. But when I did the .625 lift gear drive cams (700 miles later - money you know), and a few other minor goodies to the heads, I got the best gain realized. Everything just seemed to work perfectly together. I do have a reliable, faster and more powerful 103" than the factory original. Got dam emmissions.
The interesting thing I am looking foreward to is to see you all at the up comming rallys. Much fun wiith all that loose Torque running around. The wives are gonna' wish they stayed home... [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]
NH

Are you running S&S 625 cams ? how much torque and hp are they making ..do you have a dyno from them just curious as iam ready to dump my 400 woods cams..and am kinda in limbo on the next cam choice i was thinking 625 640's or zipppers 657 or 647's???
2005 fxdwg              
124 S&S                  
B2 heads                  
640 S&S cams    
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 21 queries.