Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Flush Mount Gas Cap Problems  (Read 14216 times)

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
Flush Mount Gas Cap Problems
« on: August 12, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »

I see that some of us have had problems with the flush mount gas cap not popping up under various conditions.  Mine has been doing this lately, once when I was very low on gas (after letting the bike sit for 10 minutes at the gas station, it popped up on its own), and a couple times after that.  The third time it happened, it never popped up.  I removed the chrome ring to unscrew the cap and noticed that the pop-up function was no longer working.  For those of you that have had issues with this style of gas cap, have you been able to replace it under warranty?  It seems like a design flaw that should be covered; I just want to see what your experience has been.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 12:04:41 PM by Wild Card »

Fast FLHX

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Kryptonite FLHXSE2 (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2020 Smokey Grey/Black Hole FLHXSE
Re: Flush Mount Gas Cap Problems
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 01:11:30 PM »

If it isn't working I don't see how they wouldn't replace it under warranty.  Same with fading speaker grilles on the FLHXSE2/3.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 02:09:03 PM »

What you describe seems to be a very widespread problem as reported in several Harley forums.  I'd suggest contacting your dealer ASAP to get it replaced under warranty (I assume you are still within the warranty period).  I believe what they will find is that the original part number 62825-06B has been replaced by part number 63135-10 due to all the problems with the earlier design.  A sharp dealership parts guy should know all about the change.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 03:45:50 PM »

What you describe seems to be a very widespread problem as reported in several Harley forums.  I'd suggest contacting your dealer ASAP to get it replaced under warranty (I assume you are still within the warranty period).  I believe what they will find is that the original part number 62825-06B has been replaced by part number 63135-10 due to all the problems with the earlier design.  A sharp dealership parts guy should know all about the change.

Jerry

Great, thank you Jerry!  I wanted to walk into the dealer and be armed with some info like yours. 

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 09:03:12 PM »

use to have problems with mine on the flhrse3. it ain't funny when yer trying to fill up. :drink:

popped mine apart once sprayed with wd-40 and it seemed to help. so maybe the gas cap requires service too. :nixweiss:

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

dite

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 08:10:38 AM »

My 2008 CVO Springer started having a sticky pop-up gas cap.  I tried WD-40 without out much improvement....I then tried white lithium grease and found a huge improvement.  Now the pop-up cap is back to like new....

FreestateSE3

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2012 FLSTSE Convertible
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 02:39:14 PM »

I had a couple of problems with mine on my 07SERK.  Of course, the problems started right after I drop-kicked it across a gas statiopn parking lot... :nixweiss:
Don
Rolling Thunder, Inc.
Virginia Chapter 1
"Never Again"

SG Racer

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG2, Black Diamond/ Inferno Orange
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG, Cherry
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 12:13:12 AM »

I had a couple of problems with mine on my 07SERK.  Of course, the problems started right after I drop-kicked it across a gas statiopn parking lot... :nixweiss:
Dang it. Hope it was a accident. Chit happens.
D&D Fat Cat W/Ghost pipe
Custom leather seat
12" Yaffe Monkey Bagger Bars
SEPST
93Hp, 116Tq

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 06:47:21 AM »

Had mine replaced under warranty on 08 FXDSE no issues since. 8)

Jcarl08

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
    • SPIARTSgraphics
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 06:24:09 AM »

I did a post in another section sometime ago about the sticking flush mount caps.  I had that problem once, but used a technique I learn some years ago. I have had my cap mounted out of the crate and it still works well. ;) I carefully removed the o-ring from the cap and bathe it in axial grease. Wipe off the excess grease and replace the cap. Repeat this every 5,000 mi. or as needed. I have been doing this sense 2007 on the same cap.
Jcarl
• I picked up my pal October 12, 2007
This is my slogan coined years ago, "I love to ride and ride what I love" I am an artist and photographer down in Houston, Texas that loves the two wheel experience.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 12:49:29 PM »

I can hear it know..  Mr. Dealer,, you dont understand,, it really came off by itself while i was driving on the freeway   :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

Willie D

• Senior CVO Member
  • Live Life at Full Throttle !

• CVO1: FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: FLHRSEI
    • CVO3: FXDWG2
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 01:24:26 PM »

I never had a problem with the black ones on the 2010 LoBoy,
but I used a product from my sailing days called " Boeshield T-9 ". works great. :2vrolijk_21:
developed by the Boeing co.

JMHO :nixweiss:

'Keep your Knees in the Breeze'
01 FXDWG- 11,000 + sold
02 FLHRSEI-66k + traded
New 06 FLTRI - Sold
08 XL1200 N - sold
2010 FLSTFB - Trade
2012 FLSTSE3 - Satin Pewter - 'Brush Gold'
2015 BMW F700GS
2017 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse  TS 111

Sinker

• Junior CVO Member
Flush mount gas cap stuck shut
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 12:47:33 PM »

I have a 2009 Springer with flush mount gas cap. Went to put some gas in it yesterday and it will not open. I can't even twist it bearing down with everything I have. It also looks like is actually seated a little lower that usual. What is causing this? Is there a way to fix without going to the dealer?

Thanks/Scott

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Flush mount gas cap stuck shut
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2015, 01:41:08 PM »

I have a 2009 Springer with flush mount gas cap. Went to put some gas in it yesterday and it will not open. I can't even twist it bearing down with everything I have. It also looks like is actually seated a little lower that usual. What is causing this? Is there a way to fix without going to the dealer?

Thanks/Scott
I did a search and found a thread existing w/what sounds like the same issue you are having... read some of the above posts and see if they will help w/your problem. There are several other threads regarding the flush mount gas caps from them leaking, and other issues.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Sinker

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 09:33:28 PM »

Unfortunately none of the posts above address the problem I am having. I am going to take it into the steeler tomorrow and take my lumps.

Scott

donvito

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2015, 11:44:28 AM »

So what was your outcome? FWIW, Big mistake using grease or oil products to lube the cap. 2 things will happen. 1 grease attracts dirt thus more sticking, 2 the cap is also a breather so the fuel in the tank can flow into the engine, when plugged by dirt and grease the flow will stop and tank pressure will increase and can have nasty results when removing the cap if #1 isnt preventing it to open. Solution is use silicone spray on the oring instead. No residue buildup.

RG RON

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2015, 07:26:20 PM »

I see that some of us have had problems with the flush mount gas cap not popping up under various conditions.  Mine has been doing this lately, once when I was very low on gas (after letting the bike sit for 10 minutes at the gas station, it popped up on its own), and a couple times after that.  The third time it happened, it never popped up.  I removed the chrome ring to unscrew the cap and noticed that the pop-up function was no longer working.  For those of you that have had issues with this style of gas cap, have you been able to replace it under warranty?  It seems like a design flaw that should be covered; I just want to see what your experience has been.  Thanks!
I had the reverse thing happen, going down the road the lid kept popping open, after several attempts  of closing it normally a few hard hits to close it and it finally closing it and it stayed, since then it's worked fine. I guess I just had to give it an attitude adjustment, LOL.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 20 queries.