Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: OK, here's an easy way to modify and keep stock all at the same time  (Read 63226 times)

ultrarider123

Re: OK, here's an easy way to modify and keep stock all at the same time
« Reply #195 on: February 27, 2017, 02:13:18 PM »

Working on mine today. Replaced the stock headpipe with a decatted one. Going to cut the plugs out of stock mufflers tomorrow. Clean and polish all the crap you cant get to then put her back together. Hook up the fp3 and wait for spring.

Well, how did you like the results?

wtfdskin

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #196 on: February 27, 2017, 02:35:45 PM »

Absolutely love it. Nice deep and quiet rumble at cruise speed, but barks when you jump on it. No decel popping. Really seemed to help lessen the leg heat. Have the fp3 on autotune with a canned base tune. Has all the get up and go i will ever need.

ultrarider123

« Reply #197 on: February 27, 2017, 02:36:47 PM »

Good deal... :2vrolijk_21:

J.D.

« Reply #198 on: June 10, 2017, 02:20:07 PM »

I turned a buddy onto these 4" CVO mufflers.  He found a nice set on eBay already modified.  Installed on an earlier Twin Cam engine with stock (catless) header these sound really really good.

ultrarider123

« Reply #199 on: June 10, 2017, 03:00:05 PM »

Very good.

I'm ready to perform this surgery again on my 15. I'll post more pictures and some measurements of the plug this time around and any other information y'all need. I'm sticking with the stock header for a bit longer.

ultrarider123

« Reply #200 on: June 11, 2017, 06:44:07 PM »

Surgery performed. Two mufflers, one dremel and two grinding wheels. I did notice one mufflers plug seemed to be welded in and crooked while the other was a normal plug. Still, no problem with either. Sounds much better even with the stock header.

ultrarider123

« Reply #201 on: June 11, 2017, 06:45:22 PM »

Picture of the abnormal plug before removal.  Note the three spot welds outside the inlet.  I had already removed the tack welded extension from both mufflers a month after purchase....they were rusting.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 08:58:04 AM by Haird »

ultrarider123

« Reply #202 on: June 11, 2017, 06:48:52 PM »

This is what the abnormal plug looked like removed. You can see the detached end and tell something was off. I measured this for those that asked. The other muffler and plug looked like the ones at the first of this post removed from my 12  but I will post a picture for comparison after this one.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 06:55:49 PM by Haird »

ultrarider123

« Reply #203 on: June 11, 2017, 06:57:08 PM »

What a normal plug removed should look like. Notice the ground end is much smoother.

DLXLDY

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #204 on: July 10, 2017, 09:55:38 AM »

HAs anyone done this on the '14 or '15 CVO Deluxe? Now, I need to go home and look at my pipes...miss my '06 with a stage 1 and Cycle Shacks...It sounds like I am riding a sewing machine...

ultrarider123

« Reply #205 on: July 10, 2017, 10:06:06 AM »

Has anyone done this on the '14 or '15 CVO Deluxe? Now, I need to go home and look at my pipes...miss my '06 with a stage 1 and Cycle Shacks...It sounds like I am riding a sewing machine...

The Deluxe, and others correct me if I'm wrong...as if I have to ask that..., has the cats in the muffler and is a completely different set-up than the touring mufflers. 
I'm sure you could modify the Deluxe mufflers but probably not using the method described in this thread... ;D

DLXLDY

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #206 on: July 10, 2017, 01:39:08 PM »

Thanks Haird. That's what I was thinking...haven't found anything yet on someone who has done a mod on them. Two recommend the Rush slip-ons. I'm still early in my research.

Bafiii

• B.A.
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited. Platinum/Charcoal Gray
« Reply #207 on: July 11, 2017, 08:39:34 PM »

Haird:
A follow up to you as you mentioned you have done this on several.  I have a 16 CVO Limited and I have the Screaming Eagle slip ons now.   Have you heard the difference between the slip ones and the stock exhaust with the plugs removed?  The slip ons are nice but I am looking for a deeper sound and curious if removing the plugs on the stock pipes would be a deeper sound then the slip ones.  Thoughts?

Great series of posts too!

ultrarider123

« Reply #208 on: July 11, 2017, 10:02:49 PM »

It would depend on which Screamin eagle slip on you have but most are open down the middle ( you can see all the way through) which is what removing the plug accomplishes for less dough. I've heard the SE slipons before with the stock header and both the plug removed stock SE mufflers and the SE slipons sound similar.  To me, the stock SE with plug removed has a bit better sound cruising down the highway (not as loud) but great, deep sound when you get on it. However, it may be too tame for others...different strokes for different folks.

walstibsf

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2013 FLSTFB
    • CVO3: 2016 MOTO GUZZI
« Reply #209 on: December 18, 2018, 10:14:15 PM »

Hey, peeps, I know its 11:45 for this thread, but..... what I've done on every set of Stock and FULLSAC CVO baffles I've owned is cut off the portion of pipe that continues past the rear flange of the baffle.  This makes a nice echo chamber out of your 4" endcap and gives it a "big boom" sound in MHO.   YMMV, but worth a thought

Laters...and Merry Christmas everyone!

Bobby
W  A  L  S  T  I  B  S  F..................................

what a long strange trip its been..........SO FAR
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.