Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Strapless trailering  (Read 7297 times)

MDUltra

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: '03 Springer
    • CVO3: '08 Ultra SE sold
Strapless trailering
« on: June 28, 2012, 07:18:02 AM »

Anybody ever use the Strapless system? It was offered by Roberts by now by B&W Hitch... $350 plus freight seems expensive

http://www.turnoverball.com/sites/default/files/products/biker_latch.jpg

My bike just got loose in the toy hauler $6800 in damage!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Strapless trailering
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 07:29:41 AM »

Have seen them before.  Never using it by itself on a bike of mine.  It might be flawless.  But it might not.

Might do it along with straps and all the other regular precautions.  Have no problem with belt and suspenders.  But there's now way I'm opting for less caution rather than more when hauling a bike.

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 08:51:30 AM »

I will stick with my Condor and the straps.  Not that much trouble to tie-down.

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 08:59:09 AM »

After I wrote the above I went to find this product.  It is made be B & W Hitches and they are one of the best.  It looks like it grabs the frame below the engine to get the hold on the bike. 

Might work.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 11:40:10 AM »

I too was interested in these for our toy hauler but decided against them as they are only as strong as what they are bolted down to. Even if it was bolted to the trailers frame, I would still use a couple of straps. Although it isn't necessary if all tie down parts are secured and functioning properly, I always use 7 straps per bike for peace of mind.  For me, this redundancy eliminates the possibility of single point failure and my own possible forgetfullness to secure everything correctly. So far my only mistake has been to not bungee the cabinet doors shut and having debris fly out after hitting a large bump in the highway. Luckily only clocking Melanie's SG front fender.

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 03:17:31 PM »

A buddy of mine built his own system using a different type.  He has brackets on the frame that attach to turnbuckle rods on the trailer.  Liked it so much, did it for both his bikes.  Now, it takes him about 5 minutes to secure both bikes for traveling, and he has well over a thousand miles on the system now with no issue.  When he first built it, he used straps for a while, then realized how useless the straps were.

NYSport

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide, Skunk
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 09:03:10 PM »

I think Pitbull now make a trail restraint for HD.  They make great stuff.
Former US Army
160th Little Bird Pilot

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 10:07:31 PM »

I use this system and for me it works great. I do use two front straps for my peace of mind.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 10:21:27 PM »

I have seen several threads on tie-downs over the years. You are tying the bike down for a "Worst case" scenario, not a smooth ride to grandma's. Someone above mentioned that no matter how strong the tie down is it is no stronger that what it is bolted to and that is what you need to consider. If you bolt a single tie down like the one shown above, then ALL the bike weight becomes focused on that spot when the trailer hits the guard rail, or turns over (and this does happen). The weight of the bike WILL tear any motorcycle size trailer frame crossmember in half easily. You need multi mounting points to distribute the weight evenly thru out the floor / frame of the trailer. I see folks talk about not compressing the forks when you tie them down, leave the forks loose then hit a large pothole and when the bike (or car) bounces slack comes in the tie down, the hook comes free and you load is now loose and moving around, and that is not good. I have heard the Condor sales people at bike events say to use two tie-downs pulled forward with the Condor and you are good to go, if the trailer tips, the bike WILL fall out of the chock. They are very uninformed sales people spewing crap. I asked on of them what about that setup when the trailer slams a guardrail, he said and I quote "How often does that happen". Guess never in his world.
Look at the big picture here, use at LEAST four to spread the weight around, six is better evenly spaced, with at least four pulling forward into the chock. I have e-track in my trailer and a condor. With wife helping we can load, tie down and be locking the trailer door/ramp in five minutes and we use 6 tie-downs.
I feel sure I can turn my trailer at least on its side and the bike remain secure. Just my opinion.

nevadabob

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 10:57:38 PM »

:-\ I don't get it, what is wrong with straps? Remember in lateral and rolling and violent movement it is all about mass and momentum, so the greater the leverage points the better.
Nevadabob

MDUltra

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 11:28:33 PM »

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.  I've always been a chock and strap guy myself. This system seems to be a well thought out but I agree straps should also  be also used for all the above reasons. Maybe after some time we'll get some more feedback

This setup is not cheap. $350 plus freight is a lot in comparison to other offerings out there  (I haven't found any deals and I'm a good shopper)

I have a 8x10 garage in the coach that makes hauling two bikes tough with the limited space to run straps to the floor.

Its also seems like a safer way to load and unload as the bike stays vertical (I hate getting surprised when a strap lets go as you're carefully releasing the tension)

I'll post some pictures when I figure out how

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 08:00:04 AM »

Aside from what system you use I think it's more important to what type of tie down straps you use. I personally use the cam lock style straps and I don't buy the cheap versions...    It amazes me how many times I've seen a 40K motorcycle tied down with cheap rachit straps doubled up more than what is really needed. You should only need four straps to tie down properly, and hopefully you dont use cheap straps..     This video hits the mark on proper tie down, they have more but this one is a good start  :2vrolijk_21:

http://www.google.com/url?url=
+way+to+tie+down+a+motorcycle&usg=AFQjCNGtFLz9TKfa05uk409qk7JWZzGixw
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 08:05:16 AM by cvobiker »

09fltrse3

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 05:59:32 AM »

Here is another system called Frame lock that I am looking at. Saw this set up at Sturgis last year.

http://www.framelock.com/

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 04:20:12 PM »

The B&W hitch system looks good, but if the clamping bar comes loose from the bike...
If you want peace, prepare for war.

MDUltra

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 10:26:22 PM »

I received the Hitch today It seems well designed and built.  I'll let you also know how the install goes.

Can I post pics here with a an IPad ?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.