Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: First Ride Suspension Impression  (Read 8111 times)

samule

Re: First Ride Suspension Impression
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 09:47:48 PM »

I put the Harley Fork set up in my 2011 FLHXSE2 and cant believe how much better it is. Well I can , because it was so bad. Was looking for bumps and humps and curves and it soaks up the bumps and hugs the road much better. Havent decided what to put on the rear, but it will be changed for sure. Soon

NYSport

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide, Skunk
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 10:06:33 PM »

Thanks, good to know that I'm moving in the right direction.
Former US Army
160th Little Bird Pilot

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 09:22:06 AM »

I have Ricor Intiminators inertia valve in my front end, really like them, took all the slop out of the front end.

http://www.intiminators.com/

Craig

NYSport

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 12:47:36 PM »

Former US Army
160th Little Bird Pilot

NYSport

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 04:49:59 PM »

Well I need to adjust my position regarding the forks.  They are without doubt the worst piece of crap I have ever ridden on.  Borderline dangerous!  I really hope I have a particularly bad set of forks.  I find it difficult to beleive that HD would put these on any bike let alone their "top of the line" CVO.

Under moderately hard acceleration I hit a bump and I thought I was going to get into tank slap!  Pure trash.

BTW the rest of the bike performs really well.  The cornering is really impressive, especially nice through the s-turns.  I enjoy the TBW it's smooth and predictable particularly handy when your in heavy slow moving traffic.

Can't wait for the upgrade!
Former US Army
160th Little Bird Pilot

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2012, 05:09:47 PM »

Yeah, I can relate.  For the first 100 miles, or so, I thought my rear shocks were decent.  Wrong!! 

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 06:43:59 PM »

Well I need to adjust my position regarding the forks.  They are without doubt the worst piece of crap I have ever ridden on.  Borderline dangerous!  I really hope I have a particularly bad set of forks.  I find it difficult to beleive that HD would put these on any bike let alone their "top of the line" CVO.
Under moderately hard acceleration I hit a bump and I thought I was going to get into tank slap!  Pure trash.
BTW the rest of the bike performs really well.  The cornering is really impressive, especially nice through the s-turns.  I enjoy the TBW it's smooth and predictable particularly handy when your in heavy slow moving traffic.
Can't wait for the upgrade!

No, you don't have a bad set of forks, they are just the typical HD chit.  And you are correct, the suspension is actually a safety hazard, IMO.  These bikes are not sport bikes, but you can make them as close as a 900lb bike will ever be. Changing fork oil to a heavier weight will stop the dive, but the ride will suck compared to a cartridge.  IMO, anything short of a cartridge is a big compromise, as you can only force a given amount of fluid through a valve opening, which is how all the other systems work.  From what you are used to, you need to think seriously about the Traxxion Dynamic AK-20 cartridges...the company got it's start on the racing circuit, then developed products for the Gold Wing market, then HD.  I have had them on two other bikes, and now on my 2011 SERGU.  It was practically the first thing I did...change the forks and put Legend Air on the back.  There is no doubt that Ohlin makes excellent products, but I would put Traxxion right there with them, and their customer service is second to none.  Plus, they are 100% machined/manufactured in house.  They are the best, IMO.  They are not cheap though.  Second choice would be the Progressive Monotubes or HD cartridges.  Only you can decide if the price difference is worth it...for me, it is.  For the rear, there are several very good alternatives, with the Bitubo (Italian) shocks being up there with the best of them, due to not only preload adjustment, but also rebound damping and compression damping, with the nitrogen cannister in piggyback mode.  I had them and the AK-20 on a Vrod and it was excellent.  Call Traxxion and have a conversation with Max (the owner) if possible, or Dan...tell them you are a member here.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

NYSport

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2012, 07:05:37 PM »

Thanks, I give them a call on Monday.  I know Traxxion is good stuff, I lean toward Ohlins only because of my past experience with their product.
Former US Army
160th Little Bird Pilot

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2012, 08:07:41 PM »

Yeah, I can relate.  For the first 100 miles, or so, I thought my rear shocks were decent.  Wrong!! 

x2......I think they are better than the stock air rears, but, still crappy.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2012, 08:34:14 PM »

I'm putting AK-20's on the front of my FLHXSE3 right now.  I'm thinking that my "New Premium HD Adjustable" rear shocks that are stock on the bike are less than to be desired (I feel every darn bump, but I haven't spent alot of time adjusting them either).  I just read everyone's post, so fill me in on how the New HD rear shock compares to Ohlins or Bitubo.
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.