Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best FXR Kickstand?  (Read 9317 times)

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
Best FXR Kickstand?
« on: July 14, 2012, 10:51:45 PM »

My FXR4 leans over abit more than I like when on the sidestand.. Soon I will be running a 2" over stock 49mm Wide-Glide front end with the 19" front wheel. The new fork should be same length as some of the older FXRs prior to the LowRider. The older FXRs had 13.5" shock and 2" longer forks that gave them more ground clearance for cornering. I can find stock and shorter kickstands but none for longer front ends. Some kickstands have poor reveiws due to quality and bending. I think the FXRT had the longer forks and shocks. I want a quality and strong replacement kickstand for the new front end. With the bikes weight on the front end and the bike on the side stand, the measurement from the top of the lower triple tree is about 22.5". The new Dynas FXD and FXDF both measured 23.5" and the FXDWG was 24.5" all while on the sidestands. I am having a hard time trying to figure out if the new kickstand shoule be 1", 1,5" or 2" longer. Who make the best product. I don't want the rear type. I like the stock position that easy to reach. Any ideas on lengths? Or best mfgs???? I am sure that with all the knowledgable bikers on this Forum will have the info to help a fellow biker. Any info is apreciated. When it is finnished I will post photos.
Thanks
Ltank

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
Re: Best FXR Kickstand?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 01:45:00 PM »

Well I am amazed. I just told from the bike shop that to change the kickstand that the transission has to be removed? Is this true? My two other choices are to carry a 2x4 block every where to embarrass and aggrivate the Hell out me or to add a second forward kickstand. OR 
I can tell people that "My Bike is So Bad that I need Two Kickstands!!!! Is there an easy way to remove or replace the stock kickstand?
I really need a fix here on this one!
Thanks
Ltank

Bullwinkle

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 08:44:39 PM »

I doubt the trans has to come out but will look at mine to make sure.  An FXR-SP FXRT FXRP or FXR Convertible will have the longer kickstand you need.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 04:34:53 PM »

Well I am amazed. I just told from the bike shop that to change the kickstand that the transission has to be removed? Is this true? My two other choices are to carry a 2x4 block every where to embarrass and aggrivate the Hell out me or to add a second forward kickstand. OR 
I can tell people that "My Bike is So Bad that I need Two Kickstands!!!! Is there an easy way to remove or replace the stock kickstand?
I really need a fix here on this one!
Thanks
Ltank

Not according to what I can see and the factory service manual.  Arlen Ness made a nice kickstand that was adjustable.  It mounts to the swing arm bushing bracket.  I didn't go that route because it mounts it so far to the rear of the bike.  Also, I wanted to get rid of the low frame mounting tabs for the kickstand, but they are part of the frame.  It significant lowers the clearance and hits when going on the bike lift or trailer. 
They are obsolete, but it seems Elvissplace.com bought the remaining stock.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 07:50:31 PM »

I doubt the trans has to come out but will look at mine to make sure.  An FXR-SP FXRT FXRP or FXR Convertible will have the longer kickstand you need.

Bullwinkle is correct.  For my FXR3, which I added WorksPerformance 13.5" rear shocks, I switched stands from stock #50031-91 to the FXR-T,P,SP or Conv. model stand #50069-82A which  was superseded to -91.  Not sure if it is longer, but, it is angled differently and makes the bike stand more upright.   You may also have to switch to a smaller mounting spring, if the mounting hole on the stock stand is in a different position, i.e., farther down the stand. I don't recall if the transmission has to come out, but something has to be unattached from the frame and lifted in order to install the stand - maybe the engine.  BTW, Good luck finding these obsolete OEM stands new for less than $100.  After-market stands are cheaper but are vague in their descriptions and seem to lump in all FXR models together in the fit-ment descriptions. Currently, there is an OEM stand on ebay for $125.00+.  You could wait to find a used one, but they too are becoming harder to find.

hellesjo

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 08:37:00 AM »

For my 89 custombuild I bought the FXR oem type kickstand from either W&W (DE) or Zodiac (NL) The nice things here is that they make their FXR kickstand of polished stainlesss steel in different lengths. You can then bend it a little yourself using heat. The reason you have to lift the engine up is that the bolt for the kickstand is put in from the top and it will not be enough room without lifting the engine. You can also put in the bolt from the underside of the kickstand but then you will loose everything if something happens with the fastener.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 08:14:43 PM »

Well front end parts are ordered. After the front end is on can the correct kickstand length be determined.
I was thinking about removing the stock stand and installing a Softail type. This would be easier to install and modifications. What are your opinions? I know the bike is far from stock. S&S V111, Primo-Rivera 6 speed overdrive transmission,  new gear ratios, seat, rear fender,Custom S.S. stepped collector. So at this point why not a new 49mm front end! Resale value? The thought never entered my mind. When I can't ride no more I will give it to my Son. I Just hope that Son appreciates what he will have. It Rocks.
Ltank

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 06:49:50 PM »

I found a FXRP kickstand from a salvage yard, that is in good shape for 45 bucks. What a score! This will work with my longer front end. Will remove the big heel tab that comes up by the primary. It will come UPS
 Not much longer now! You guys just don't know how hard it is to find a FXR kickstand!
Ltank

catd7g

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 05:54:42 PM »

Drill a couple holes thru stock one, 1/4" bolts, washer stack to desired height, cap nuts on top. Done

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.