Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Slipped Flywheel  (Read 11903 times)

Sunman48

Re: Slipped Flywheel
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2012, 09:31:11 PM »

There are three mounts, not just one in the front.  Has anyone checked the two rear mounts and the powertrain alignment?  This is a critical area on the older bikes with the single front mount, and if folks just replace a failed front mount without also checking and neutralizing the rear mounts and then checking/correcting the alignment they can find themselves with more vibration, not less.  (The rear mounts are the rubber bushings on either end of the swingarm pivot btw).  Just a thought.

Another thought is to check all the easy stuff first, like any grounding out of parts to other parts, like brake pedals to pipes, other parts to the frame, etc.  The engine tends to shake qujite noticeably at idle, so what seems like good clearance with the bike shut down may not be when the engine is shaking at idle.  Just another thought.

Jerry

Jerry, I checked the rear motor mounts and looked for any items "grounding". So far I haven't found anything that has solved the problem.

Thanks,

Sunman

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
Re: Help - Slipped Flywheel
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2012, 03:19:30 AM »

Find someone who has done a gear drive conversion and has their original cam plate collecting dust.  Then cut the cam plate in half, drill a couple holes, get a cheap dial indicator and, voila, nearly free tools.

Thanks,  good idea.  I'll be cutting my old plate soon!
Steve
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 21 queries.