Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New shocks (JRI)  (Read 2201 times)

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG
New shocks (JRI)
« on: December 08, 2012, 11:31:58 PM »

Hello all;

I received my new shocks from Howard (motorcycle metal) today and went right out and installed them.  Nothing goes as easy as you want, thus I ran into a snag or two which I will get to in a moment.  I had the Ohlins 3-3 on my 09 SERG and was going to get another set but after chatting a bit with Howard, decided to go with the JRI in 13" form.  I also decided to finally get a torque wrench.  Nothing great, Husky from Home Depot. 

I went to take off both shocks and all 4 bolts were barely tight.  They came off way too easy.  I have a 12 SESG.  Please go out and check yours for proper tightness as this was quite worrisome.  Once off the bolts of the new JRI's were off about 3/8" (bolt whole on shock was too high, so i needed the shock to get compressed.  Bike was jacked up and wheel totally off the ground.  I tried to compress with my hands to no avail.  I then decided to put my foot on the wheel and push down.  The E-Clip that is on the rear wheel axle popped off.  It may have come in contact with the muffler when I pushed on wheel.  Anyway, the wheel must have dropped a little and the shocks lined up perfectly.  It seems very odd and I am hoping thats all that it was.  Raining today so couldn't get out and ride.  Although the JRI's are 13" and stock in 12" I did not notice any difference as far as getting my feet planted on the ground.  Peace all.

Ted

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
Re: New shocks (JRI)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 01:57:51 PM »

Have you had a chance to try out the JRI shocks?  I just got off the phone with Howard and I'm really considering these.

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 02:06:02 PM »

I have tried them but very few miles so I could not give a fair report.  Due to rain here I havent taken on an extended ride.  Once I do I will post some thoughts.

Mountainman streetbob

• Just Ride, Daily if possible, Just Ride!!!!!!!
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2012 SE7 CVO Electra Glide Ultra
    • GA

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 05:15:47 PM »

Old dirt biking trick... 1/2" to 1" longer shock allows you to run a little less preload and sometimes a little less compression dampening and have a more tractable supple smooth ride...
2012 CVO SE7 ElectraGlideUltra Cams??? PowerCommanderV Crocodile Seats, rhinehardts,xm, Ipod, Nav-Zumo...
Windscreen, driver backrest handlebars, fulsac COMING SOON

Page created in 0.566 seconds with 21 queries.