Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Expansion of ethanol use  (Read 7058 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Expansion of ethanol use
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 09:06:35 AM »

Maine has had 10% for quite some time.
What is worse is that The EPA is pushing for 15% Ethanol. HD, one of many MFGs, is against this very bad idea for Marine Engines, Small Engines, Motorcycles etc etc etc...

Once again more bad info being spread on the internet.  The EPA has not "pushed for" E15 fuel; they just approved a waiver requested by private business entities to allow the use of E15 in emission controlled vehicles. 

"What is the E15 Waiver?

In order to protect the emission control systems of vehicles and engines, the Clean Air Act prohibits the introduction into commerce of fuels or fuel additives that are not substantially similar to the fuels or fuel additives used in certifying vehicles and engines to emission standards. However, the Clean Air Act authorizes EPA to grant a waiver of this prohibition if it can be demonstrated that the vehicles and engines using the otherwise prohibited fuel or fuel additive will continue to meet their emission standards over their “full useful life” (e.g., 100,000 or 120,000 miles for light-duty motor vehicles, depending on the vehicle type and model year).

In March 2009, Growth Energy (a coalition of U.S. ethanol supporters) and 54 ethanol manufacturers applied for a waiver to increase the allowable amount of ethanol in gasoline from E10 to E15. The waiver application included data on the impact of E15 on vehicle emissions, fuel system materials, and driveability. Additional data were developed by DOE, which in 2008 began testing for potential impacts of various ethanol-gasoline blends on the emission control systems of MY2007 and newer light-duty motor vehicles. This testing followed enactment of the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007, which calls for significantly increasing the amount of biofuels, such as ethanol, to be used in transportation fuel."

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 11:28:33 AM »

I found this article from consumer reports I found interesting.             http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2012/06/epa-issues-final-approval-for-sale-of-e15-ethanol-fuel.html
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 03:18:08 PM »

I checked every gas station in town.  I can no longer buy gas without ethanol.  :nervous:
I'm about to make a large order to Amsoil.  I guess my price per gallon has just taken a big increase.  :drink:

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 03:25:23 PM »

What's wrong with more alcohol? :alcohol: :beerchug: :drink:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 04:41:28 PM »

I checked every gas station in town.  I can no longer buy gas without ethanol.  :nervous:
I'm about to make a large order to Amsoil.  I guess my price per gallon has just taken a big increase.  :drink:

There's several threads on octane boosters here, and the consensus of both opinion and facts is that about the only thing it's good for is to empty your wallet faster.  Basically, it's Snake Oil.  I think if you will do the math involved, you'll find that the amount that it boosts the octane can be measured in tenths of a point and not whole points, at recommended mixtures. 10% Gas has been around down here for several years and I've never had a problem in any of my motorcycles as long as I used premium, as recommended.  Whether 91 or 93 Octane...made no difference that I could tell.  IF the engine fuel management system is operating properly on a modern bike, it should never be an issue.

But, if it makes you feel better...

The only real problems I've found with 10% fuel is that it seems to attract moisture more easily in my lawn mower and the storage cans I use for my lawn equipment.  I've had to drain the carb bowl on my mower a couple of times this year to keep it running.  But, the moisture content of the air down here in Aladamnbama is ungodly at times.  I added some fuel stabilizer to the gas can and it seems to have cured the issue.   :nixweiss:  That happened to me a couple of times earlier in the grass cutting season.  I now use smaller gas containers so I use it faster.  If I had to store my motorcycle in the winter, then I'd be sure it's full, then add some good stabilizer to it and call it good.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2013, 11:40:02 PM »

There's several threads on octane boosters here, and the consensus of both opinion and facts is that about the only thing it's good for is to empty your wallet faster.  Basically, it's Snake Oil.  I think if you will do the math involved, you'll find that the amount that it boosts the octane can be measured in tenths of a point and not whole points, at recommended mixtures. 10% Gas has been around down here for several years and I've never had a problem in any of my motorcycles as long as I used premium, as recommended.  Whether 91 or 93 Octane...made no difference that I could tell.  IF the engine fuel management system is operating properly on a modern bike, it should never be an issue.

But, if it makes you feel better...

The only real problems I've found with 10% fuel is that it seems to attract moisture more easily in my lawn mower and the storage cans I use for my lawn equipment.  I've had to drain the carb bowl on my mower a couple of times this year to keep it running.  But, the moisture content of the air down here in Aladamnbama is ungodly at times.  I added some fuel stabilizer to the gas can and it seems to have cured the issue.   :nixweiss:  That happened to me a couple of times earlier in the grass cutting season.  I now use smaller gas containers so I use it faster.  If I had to store my motorcycle in the winter, then I'd be sure it's full, then add some good stabilizer to it and call it good.
You're probably right on. 
I think that the problems with small engines is magnified and that the phase separation takes time to occur.

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2013, 11:50:16 PM »

Some legislative news from SEMA.

http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2013/18/florida-bill-to-eliminate-ethanol-requirement-sent-to-governor

http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2013/19/west-virginia-legislature-fails-to-act-on-ethanol-resolutionproperty-tax-exemption

http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2013/20/maine-bill-to-curtail-ethanol-blended-gasoline-awaits-senate-consideration
Good info. 
I'm going to send some emails to my state congress people and let 'em know that I don't like the mandates.
(Although it seems like I'm wasting my time fighting this crap- just like the emails I sent opposing the collection of Internet sales taxes).
Time for the next revolution?

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2013, 11:46:59 AM »

I'm going to send some emails to my state congress people and let 'em know that I don't like the mandates.
(Although it seems like I'm wasting my time fighting this crap- just like the emails I sent opposing the collection of Internet sales taxes).
Time for the next revolution?

Good luck with that, but it has been fought unsuccessfully for years by almost all the automotive groups.  Even the United Nations has asked that the USA relax the requirements because they want to use the corn for food in drought stricken areas of the word.  Imagine wanting to actually eat the corn, what a concept.   

Anyway, the large farm lobby seems to be driving this train as much as anybody since this makes the available corn that much more valuable whether used for gas or food.   

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2013, 03:12:07 PM »

Just think about how much more whiskey could be made with all that corn! What a waste.   :drink:
Jesus is Lord

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2013, 05:02:48 PM »

Just think about how much more whiskey could be made with all that corn! What a waste.   :drink:
Another valid point.  I do love my corn squeezin's. :alcohol:

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2013, 10:10:50 PM »

I would rather see corn being used as a food or feed crop, or for whiskey, than a source for ethanol, there are better sources for the sugars required to produce it. The farm lobby has exerted a lot of influence on our government to have the use of corn based ethanol mandated. My experiences with gasoline/ethanol blends has been less than pleasant. Had to have a new fuel cell installed in my boat because the ethanol was breaking down the polymers in the tank and fuel pump (older boat), had 2 different recalls on lawn equipment because the seals were not compatible with E-10 and were leaking fuel, lower mileage per gallon on all my vehicles. Wish we could get back to the good old days of pure dino fuel for a buck a gallon but that will never happen.

Pullatrain

• IA

• CVO1: 2011 cvo road glide
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2013, 05:05:45 AM »

My entire life (i live in Iowa) I have had nothing avaiable except ethanol blended gas. I've used it in every gasoline engine 4 or 2 stoke including lawn mowers muscle cars dirt bikes fuel injected and carbureted for use in summer or winter. I don't agree w the reasons it is in my tank but not once in 30 years of buying and using it have I had one issue. I have never had to use any kind of stabilizer to keep my gas from going bad over the winter or summer as that peice of equipment is not in use and I do believe the alcohol is what keeps it from giving me any problems. I may be wrong but that is my personal experience.

Akicita

• Full CVO Member
    • SD

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2013, 08:30:33 AM »

Yesterday I had to get gas in Hill City, SD.  I stopped at the Conoco station on the edge of town where I've gone many many times.  I happened to notice that the 91 octane pumps ALL had stickers announcing they contained 10% ethanol!
This is something new. 
Later today I plan to go to the local Conoco here in Custer and find out if this crap is in the local 91 octane gas.
I'll post back based on my findings. 
If this is the case, I will have to start carrying around a bottle of fuel treatment. 
I hate what our government is doing to us.  Whatever happened to free markets?

Thanks, Steve.  I thought I had seen that a couple of days ago, but wasn't sure.  Stop in at Hill City Harley-Davidson and visit about this.  We're both riders and enjoy the company.
Na sloigh as feart san gcruinne A muirn a mire a bhfighnamh; Ni comhnairt bheith ' na bhfeagmhais: Ni h-eibhneas gan Chlainn Domhnall

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2013, 06:14:59 PM »

Saw something this weekend in Arkansas - Premium gas was without Ethanol at many stations.  I even saw one station that had 10% in regular, 5% in mid-grade, and no ethanol in Premium.  There are plenty of stations there with no ethanol and not upcharging for it. 
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 20 queries.