Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: XM Radio, '06 SE Ultra...got a question or three  (Read 2714 times)

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: XM Radio, '06 SE Ultra...got a question or thr
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2006, 04:32:45 PM »

Reading the "XM blurb", the ONLY thing they say is that there are 4 commercial free stations.  They NEVER state that any other station is commercial free, only those 4.  Every station I listened to during the 3 mos trial had commercials.  I had it for the CC ride and surfed it the entire trip.  I did not find any station that did not have SOME type of commercial.  And yes, I even listened to their 4 "commercial-free" stations.  They had commercials bragging about how good another XM station was and that I should try one of those ::).
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2006, 04:59:10 PM »

Reading the "XM blurb", the ONLY thing they say is that there are 4 commercial free stations.  They NEVER state that any other station is commercial free, only those 4.  Every station I listened to during the 3 mos trial had commercials.  I had it for the CC ride and surfed it the entire trip.  I did not find any station that did not have SOME type of commercial.  And yes, I even listened to their 4 "commercial-free" stations.  They had commercials bragging about how good another XM station was and that I should try one of those ::).

Well then I guess this blurb is wrong and misleading:

This is the blurb directly from XM concerning commercials:

Does XM have commercials?

[highlight]All of the 69 music channels programmed by XM are commercial-free[/highlight]. Many of our news, talk, sports and entertainment channels (including comedy and kids), as well as [highlight]four music channels programmed by Clear Channel Communications carry a limited amount of commercials. [/highlight]Most local radio stations carry 18 minutes of commercials every hour.

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2006, 02:59:45 PM »

I'd say it's certainly misleading.  We've all listened to other stations than the special 4 that blurb refers to that are supposed to be the only stations with commercials, yet we've all heard commercials on essentially all the other stations.  As far as my time listening is concerned, there were NO station without commercials.  I told them so when I cancelled the service.  Every single station I listened to had commercials.  I guess I listened to about 40 different stations over the 3 mos I had it.  You could argue that I only listened to 40 stations and all 130 or so others are completely commercial free, but the prime feature of XM was supposed to be the entire lack of commercials.  When at least 1/3 of their stations have commercials, something's wrong. [smiley=nixweiss.gif] [smiley=confused5.gif]
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2006, 03:44:29 PM »

Well I tell ya what, when I bought my Denali I drove it around for about 3 days without the built-in XM activated...and it drove me nuts listening to the regular FM stations.  It has a 6 disc player also, but ya get tired of the same CD's to.  I've gotten so use to the virtually commercial free XM with various music choices that I just turned the radio off after a while.  While XM may have short blurps about other XM channels, thats about all I hear (not including CH11 that they explain above, which I quit listening to, never listened to the others) listening to the commercials between each and every song played on FM stations was just too much.

I also like having the traffic information available for major cities.  It's kept me out of Baltimore and DC traffic jams on several occasions.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2006, 05:16:28 PM »

Well I tell ya what, when I bought my Denali I drove it around for about 3 days without the built-in XM activated...and it drove me nuts listening to the regular FM stations.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2006, 07:58:05 PM »

I too would rather listen to XM than regular radio, mainly because I like all kinds of music and it offers that. I just think that it gets worse every year and soon we will be paying just to have a variety of channels that have just as many commercials as regular FM does now. The ole frog in the boiling water syndrome: throw a frog into a boiling pot of water and he jumps right out. But, place him in a pot of cool water and gradually turn up the heat until he sits right there and cooks to death!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.