Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Monotubes issue?  (Read 6953 times)

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
Re: Monotubes issue?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 11:51:41 PM »

I prefer the ride of the HD Premium Double Cartridge Fork Kit 10x over the PS.
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 06:22:17 AM »

I've been giving serious though to changing mine out myself but after reading this thread I'm very leery of it. I know a lot of people have raved about the Progressives and I haven't seen too many negatives. Just not crazy about the way they're handling your case. I'll have to start reading up on this Traxxion set up and even the HD Premium as FHW just posted about.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 07:52:16 AM »

I put the Monotubes on the bike last year.

They're better than the stock springs/valves/damper rods, especially when it comes to reducing dive and improving handling.  But the ride is borderline harsh.  Not teeth-rattling, but it's close.  For the record I'm running both spacer clips and the proper amount of the proper weight oil.

I'll give them the season to see if they wear in or improve, but I think I'll probably end up taking them out and replacing them with Racetech springs and Ricor Intiminators.
The best you've had is the best you know.

pkl

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 08:44:30 AM »

I responded on the other thread you tagged and as I said Progressive was called they sent new set and it was installed within 2 weeks. Lucky I guess or someone is peeing in your cereal.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 10:43:17 AM »

I responded on the other thread you tagged and as I said Progressive was called they sent new set and it was installed within 2 weeks. Lucky I guess or someone is peeing in your cereal.

Most people seem to have good results with the tubes and the warranty so just a glitch maybe in my case. I'm not involved directly with the conversations so I'll sit back for a few more days to see what happens. If they haven't decided by end if day Friday, I'll just take the bike back and swing by Traxxion on the way to Ribfest next month.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 10:48:47 AM »

I put the Monotubes on the bike last year.

They're better than the stock springs/valves/damper rods, especially when it comes to reducing dive and improving handling.  But the ride is borderline harsh.  Not teeth-rattling, but it's close.  For the record I'm running both spacer clips and the proper amount of the proper weight oil.

I'll give them the season to see if they wear in or improve, but I think I'll probably end up taking them out and replacing them with Racetech springs and Ricor Intiminators.

Exactly my experience in 2013 cvo road king.  They provided a better ride on my 2003 flhrse2.  I assume there are other factors that are responsible for the overall ride.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 12:48:04 PM »

I prefer the ride of the HD Premium Double Cartridge Fork Kit 10x over the PS.
Never having had the Progressives I have no basis for comparison.  But I too chose the H-D Premium Double Cartridge Fork Kit over the Progressives for one very big reason:  the Progressive tech rep I spoke with told me the life of the cartridge was estimated to be about 50k.  So at that time you'd be faced with a total replacement.  With the H-D kit I am thinking that a service would be all that is required, not replacement.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2014, 04:39:34 PM »

Never having had the Progressives I have no basis for comparison.  But I too chose the H-D Premium Double Cartridge Fork Kit over the Progressives for one very big reason:  the Progressive tech rep I spoke with told me the life of the cartridge was estimated to be about 50k.  So at that time you'd be faced with a total replacement.  With the H-D kit I am thinking that a service would be all that is required, not replacement.

'Have ridden the Progressives F/R on my buddy's Skunk and they are bouncy as hell to me. "The Ball & Chain" would hate them. My Buddy is having the fronts replaced at 40k because they are worn out.

'Have (15k+) the Harley Premium on the '09 SERG and we are both very happy with the ride quality and the handling of the bike, very smooth, supple (maintains contact with the road over irregularities, even when leaned over hard in the high speed Western sweepers), and reduced brake dive, and when the HD Premium does bottom out, its not harsh at all.

To me (us), a great balance of ride quality and handling (1 up, or loaded) :2vrolijk_21:

When my Tech installed the Harley front cartridges, he did make me aware of changing the fork oil as part of the 50k service.

'Haven't ridden the Traxxion, I'm sure that they are good 2 go, as everybody that has them, raves about them, just pricy$ for me.

Sometimes I have to rely on the Harley Dealer network when traveling :nervous:

Rob, I can't believe that you are getting such a "run around" and PS doesn't seem to care about customer satisfaction ?   
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2014, 04:47:31 PM »

'Have ridden the Progressives F/R on my buddy's Skunk and they are bouncy as hell to me. "The Ball & Chain" would hate them. My Buddy is having the fronts replaced at 40k because they are worn out.

'Have (15k+) the Harley Premium on the '09 SERG and we are both very happy with the ride quality and the handling of the bike, very smooth, supple (maintains contact with the road over irregularities, even when leaned over hard in the high speed Western sweepers), and reduced brake dive, and when the HD Premium does bottom out, its not harsh at all.

To me (us), a great balance of ride quality and handling (1 up, or loaded) :2vrolijk_21:

When my Tech installed the Harley front cartridges, he did make me aware of changing the fork oil as part of the 50k service.

'Haven't ridden the Traxxion, I'm sure that they are good 2 go, as everybody that has them, raves about them, just pricy$ for me.

Sometimes I have to rely on the Harley Dealer network when traveling :nervous:

Rob, I can't believe that you are getting such a "run around" and PS doesn't seem to care about customer satisfaction ?   

Thanks for sharing your experience with both. I was leaning toward the Progressives but I think after this ordeal and the input about the Progressives I am going to go with HD.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2014, 11:24:50 PM »

How much are the HD's?

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2014, 06:10:19 AM »

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2014, 06:18:41 AM »

Thank you.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2014, 03:41:14 PM »

Thank you.

Rob...if you do decide to go with Traxxion, give them a call and make an appointment...they'll have you in and out of there in under 4 hours.  Give either Dan or Mike a call and don't forget to let them know you're a member here.  If you go with them, I am certain you'll be more than satisfied with both the performance and the customer service/expertise.

I cannot comment on the HD Premium front end...Jerry likes his.  Brian also has them on his bike...I think he got them installed when he bought the bike because he had some "bonus bucks" at his dealership to spend...last time I talked with him, which was over a year ago, he had installed the Bitubos on the back and told me that he had intentions of putting the Traxxion on as he felt the rear end was better than the front end...don't know if he ever did it or not.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2014, 03:44:59 PM »

Found out my tubes are now on the way to progressive with an emphasis on priority. Seems my dealer was trying to help out by skipping the system and getting a set sent to them without having to send the "broken" ones in right away.
My contact stepped up and said he dropped the ball by trying to do it that way first. Honestly, I "assume" he means he forgot about me until I checked up on it.

So...I was basing my "Go f$%* yourself" on bad info at the time. I would assume as well that once PS gets the tubes, they will repair or replace at their descretion and send them back.

I apologize for basing my post on misinformation! I thought I was dealing with a proven reliable source.  Guess this was one case that I wasn't.

I will keep you all posted.

Rob

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2014, 03:49:56 PM »

Rob...if you do decide to go with Traxxion, give them a call and make an appointment...they'll have you in and out of there in under 4 hours.  Give either Dan or Mike a call and don't forget to let them know you're a member here.  If you go with them, I am certain you'll be more than satisfied with both the performance and the customer service/expertise.

I cannot comment on the HD Premium front end...Jerry likes his.  Brian also has them on his bike...I think he got them installed when he bought the bike because he had some "bonus bucks" at his dealership to spend...last time I talked with him, which was over a year ago, he had installed the Bitubos on the back and told me that he had intentions of putting the Traxxion on as he felt the rear end was better than the front end...don't know if he ever did it or not.

Terry,

I have spoken with Dan and will get the member discount if/when I do this. Great folks there.

The one question I have regarding the HD fronts is the mention in the description that it "Complements the Premium Ride Hand-Adjustable Rear Shocks (Low Profile and Standard-Height) by providing a balanced suspension system capable of delivering superior ride characteristics "

I have the stock air suspension on the rear of mine...if that matters. I thought if i got in a time pinch I could go with the HD, but I am hoping (see my most recent post above) that the PS Mono's will be repaired or replaced with proper working ones in time for RibFest.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.628 seconds with 21 queries.