Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where is the accessory switch?  (Read 3672 times)

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
Where is the accessory switch?
« on: November 13, 2013, 11:06:12 PM »

What is used for an accessory switch? If you want to wire Motolights or other items, is there a switch available
For one of the blank spaces? I know there is an accessory harness needed, but I like the factory switch on the dash. Thoughts?
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
Re: Where is the accessory switch?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 09:38:45 AM »

Motolights offers an accessory switch harness that will utilize the existing aux switch if it is not being used for something else. The aux switch can also be used for heated gear or a number of other things so if you install motolights, for example, you would need a separate switch if the aux switch is already in use.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 01:28:31 PM »

What is used for an accessory switch? If you want to wire Motolights or other items, is there a switch available
For one of the blank spaces? I know there is an accessory harness needed, but I like the factory switch on the dash. Thoughts?

I'm not familiar with the setup on the RG switches, but if you have blank switch positions available you could just buy another accessory switch from your friendly dealer and install it in the blank location.  On an E-glide the blank filler piece can be popped out and a switch snapped into place, and I assume the same would be true on the RG. 

btw, the part number for the accessory switch is 71636-98.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

motor1

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 03:37:43 PM »

I originally posted this in CVO Limited, because I thought it only applies to the 14 Limited, I ordered one ( FLHTKSE )
 (due in Dec), but the only switches I see are For road lights, and locking saddlebags, my 11 has an accessory switch (prewired) to use for any item you wish. So, just wondering what you do if you have a 14.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 03:24:09 PM »

I originally posted this in CVO Limited, because I thought it only applies to the 14 Limited, I ordered one ( FLHTKSE )
 (due in Dec), but the only switches I see are For road lights, and locking saddlebags, my 11 has an accessory switch (prewired) to use for any item you wish. So, just wondering what you do if you have a 14.

Thanks for the clarification.  I thought the same thing others did, that this was for a RG.  Your avatar says
Current Harley: FLTRUSE Rio Red/Black Ember
.  Just sayin'.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

motor1

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 07:07:01 AM »

My fault for not making myself clear. Still wondering what to use for accessory install, don't like aftermarket switches  mounted on the dash.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 09:01:01 AM »

My fault for not making myself clear. Still wondering what to use for accessory install, don't like aftermarket switches  mounted on the dash.

I was under the impression from early comments on the new bikes that there were several blanks in the dash alongside the switches for the lights and cruise.  If that's the case, you could do some checking to see if the old style (non-CAN bus) switches from the earlier models would fit. I'm somewhat surprised that none of the early purchasers of the 2014's haven't chimed in here yet.  I'm also surprised that there seems to be nothing in the catalog from Harley for this either. :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
  • “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 09:17:24 AM »

I was under the impression from early comments on the new bikes that there were several blanks in the dash alongside the switches for the lights and cruise.  If that's the case, you could do some checking to see if the old style (non-CAN bus) switches from the earlier models would fit. I'm somewhat surprised that none of the early purchasers of the 2014's haven't chimed in here yet.  I'm also surprised that there seems to be nothing in the catalog from Harley for this either. :nixweiss:

Jerry
I checked with service and parts a couple of weeks ago re moto light install.  The switches are on a a single "plate" if you will and the blanks are dummies!   They had a CVO lower dash apart and saw it with my own eyes.  As of date there isn't a "single" or a 3 bank available with 3 usable, even though the manual says the blanks are for upgrades or add on's.  Their suggestion was to tie in to the runnin lights as most never turn moto's off anyway.  I'm certain that future parts will be available as planned, just not yet though
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

Trimster

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 99 FXR2
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 06:04:47 AM »

Like you, I too investigated this aux switch "issue". Same results, for now. Only switch currently available, that my parts guy saw, was the spot light switch.

So in the mean time, I just ran my motolights to the existing aux plug behind left side cover. Motolights are on, when ignition switch is on, and headlights on. They stay on, when I flip to highbeams (you can, if you choose to, have aux spots stay on, when highbeams are on via reprogramming).

Allen
14 FLHTK
Al

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 09:30:09 AM »

Be cautious when using the AUX switch to control lights or other high wattage items....I'd recommend using the aux sw to control a relay that in turn controls the heavy load item.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

motor1

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 09:39:21 PM »

Thanks for the replys, I guess no rider interviewed for " The Rushmore " project wanted to hook up any accessories.

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.