Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Cam question?  (Read 9685 times)

SPIDERMAN

Re: Cam question?
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2006, 09:38:41 PM »

What about the cams H-D offers in their Screamin Eagle parts catalogue ?

syclone

• Full CVO Member
  • IF YA CANT AFFORD TO BREAK IT-- DONT RIDE IT
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2006, 09:57:28 AM »

To all that has helped,

This is what I think I'm going with:

Ported HTCC heads pt# 16925-02b W/intake
SE lifters and pushrods
S&S 585g or Andrews 60g (still would like help deciding)
Std. 1550 bore pistons
and all other nes. parts

With your help I have spent about a $1000 more but I'm with you guys on this!

Thanks again. Nice chattin' with you Harry.

[/quote

you have to know where you will be when it comes to Dynamic compression....the actual RUNNING compression when factors like bore diameter, stroke, rod length, static compression and altitude and most importantly , Intake valve close in degrees after bottom dead center (ABDC) are considered.
a good running street motor that wont be too soft down low, and will start hot without compression releases ,should be safe at about 9.0:1 dynamic...with about 185 CCP (cold cranking pressure)

plugging in your 3.875" bore, 4.0" stroke, 7.668" rod length, an intake close of 45 degrees ABDC with the S&S 585 cams, and using an altitude of 1,000 ft.  a STATIC compression ratio of 10.3:1 puts you right on target ... dynamic compression of 9.05 :1 and a CCP of 186.

The Andrews 60g cam with its 56 degree intake close, would need a static compression of 11.0:1 to get you 9.05 dynamic and a CCP of 186.7

Dont be afraid of  compression in itself... you can see that the the same motor with 10.3:1 compression..or..11.0:1 ..can have the same running compression .... .and cranking compresion .. .  Both will start without releases...but because of the other cam timing numbers and lift, will behave differently when ridden....    these are the kinds of things a competent shop/builder should explain and discuss with you.

for your build and riding style....I like a nice flat top forged piston (CP ?) , ported stock heads to get you as close to 9.8:1 STATIC compression with a .030 cometic gasket, and a set of 37g cams for good useable torque from 2500-5800 rpm.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 09:49:13 AM by syclone »
Just my opinon......I could be wrong

'05 SEEG  114"  all bore motor

04 night train 95" 10.5:1 KBs,ported and decked heads, tw55g cams,rollers,3.37,44cv
01 Dyna,95" ported SE heads,wood t

tommyo

• Throttles on the right!
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2006, 01:48:55 PM »

Will either cam work? Which one will be best all around for relyablity? Sounds like I'm on track but my dealer hasn't given to much feedback. Probably because he hasn't started on the bike yet. Looking to build a good mild hot rod and have relyablity also. Unbalanced has been a big help too but always looking for any info. So, 585 or 60G?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 01:49:59 PM by tommyo »
When in doubt... GAS it!!!

Starting over!!

syclone

• Full CVO Member
  • IF YA CANT AFFORD TO BREAK IT-- DONT RIDE IT
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2006, 07:12:02 PM »

Will either cam work? Which one will be best all around for relyablity? Sounds like I'm on track but my dealer hasn't given to much feedback. Probably because he hasn't started on the bike yet. Looking to build a good mild hot rod and have relyablity also. Unbalanced has been a big help too but always looking for any info. So, 585 or 60G?

Actually ..for a 95" Bagger...I personally woudnt run either of the two.
In the S&S line, I would use the 570 for a good compromise. Good duration at 244, overlap under 45 degrees (40) and a nice 40 degree intake close for good torque. When set up at the proper compression...it will pull good from 2700 and up. Decent lift at .570 for good cylinder fill in the upper rpm range. I'd run it at about 10.2:1 static compression .
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 07:13:37 PM by syclone »
Just my opinon......I could be wrong

'05 SEEG  114"  all bore motor

04 night train 95" 10.5:1 KBs,ported and decked heads, tw55g cams,rollers,3.37,44cv
01 Dyna,95" ported SE heads,wood t

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2006, 07:50:37 PM »

Actually ..for a 95" Bagger...I personally woudnt run either of the two.
In the S&S line, [highlight]I would use the 570 for a good compromise. Good duration at 244, overlap under 45 degrees (40) and a nice 40 degree intake close for good torque.[/highlight] When set up at the proper compression...it will pull good from 2700 and up. Decent lift at .570 for good cylinder fill in the upper rpm range. I'd run it at about 10.2:1 static compression .

Excellent choice for a 95 inch touring bike. Also the Red Shift TC557.

Tommyo don't forget to change the oil pump. Install a fueling super pump with their lifters.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

tommyo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2006, 09:18:55 PM »

To all that has helped,

This is what I think I'm going with:

Ported HTCC heads pt# 16925-02b W/intake
SE lifters and pushrods
S&S 585g gear driven
Std. SE forged 1550 bore pistons (coated)
and all other nes. parts

With your help I have spent about a $1000 more but I'm with you guys on this!

Thanks again. Nice chattin' with you Harry.

bump

Starting over!!

tommyo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2006, 07:48:35 PM »

My bike is actually apart. The Heads and pistons are in the machine shop now. I'm getting pretty excited about it now! Harry I see you changed your user name...

Starting over!!

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2006, 10:12:04 PM »

Tommy, not really posting much as of late, just replying when needed.  I look forward to hearing / reading how you make out with the bike.  Maybe you will get lucky and the snow will melt early /fingers crossed for you.  There is always Bike Week in Myrtle and Daytona :)

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2007, 02:45:10 PM »

Andrews TW-21, or TW26 cams are good all around cames for heavy bikes. Check the site below, good cam info.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/selectcam.htm

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2007, 02:25:23 PM »

Check these guys out on ebay, they have a pretty good price on Andrews gear drive cam kits, and there is a basic cam chart to get you into the ball park. Final decision depends on your mods and riding style!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/S-S-ANDREWS-GEAR-DRIVE-CAM-GEAR-SET-KIT-HARLEY-TWIN-CAM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35572QQihZ004QQitemZ140090839771

I think someone already mentioned Nightrider, but they have tons of good info, here's there cam spec page.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/camdb.htm
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 02:28:37 PM by Talon »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2007, 02:35:58 PM »

Andrews TW-21, or TW26 cams are good all around cames for heavy bikes. Check the site below, good cam info.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/selectcam.htm

Just caught this Talon. Excellent source for cam info. Their consolidated Spec Sheets for all HD cam applications has everything on it. Thanks for the info! :2vrolijk_21: Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2007, 04:26:51 PM »

No Prob, Night Rider has a lot of good info, there's several setions on cams, below is one for explaining the cam numbers, it says evo, but this is basic knowledge on cams. Some info is subjective as to their own thoughts on how to do it, but their knowledgable about V-Twins.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/evocams.htm
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.