Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: UltraCool Reefer oil cooler  (Read 8156 times)

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
Re: UltraCool Reefer oil cooler
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2014, 04:49:16 AM »

I have the following on my bike, in part to try to control engine heat:

Wards Parts Works fans
     Fullsac Sport pipe
     V&H mufflers
     TTS Mastertune w canned map from Fullsac (no tune yet)
     Andrews 54 cams
     Jagg fan assisted oil cooler

I think I have done everything possible, except a dyno tune!  Wait... Oil Budds has an oil cooler that goes under the bike...  :idea3: :dizzy2: :wall:

As far as keeping the CHTs down in slow traffic, the Wards fans work well.  As far as rider comfort, the Wards fans aren't the way to go.  They work best in stop-and-go traffic, but only add to rider discomfort when you aren't moving.  I was in 110 degree weather the other day in slow SoCal downtown traffic.  My highest oil temp was 241 degrees, but I felt like I was going to burst into flames at any moment.  That's because a large volume of air moved by the fans hits the cylinders, heats up, and wafts right up into the rider's face, chest, and arms.  Combine this with the regular heat rising from the engine, heat radiating off the blacktop, and the sun beating down on you, and it's human BBQ time.  The WPW fans will help keep the CHTs under control in stop-and-go conditions, but will add to the riders discomfort.  When moving, the fans don't affect the rider comfort (except for the warm fuzzy feelings you get from knowing you've done everything possible to A:  Spare the motor some heat stress, and B:  Help support the vast network of aftermarket Harley vendors).

I'm really impressed with the Jagg fan assisted cooler.  Other than the motor work and pipes, this is the one item that's made an observable difference, at both freeway speeds and in slow traffic.  I'm really interested to see what Royalroadie thinks about the UltraCool Reefer.

Just my observations.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=95641.0
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 05:02:35 AM by lilcoot »

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 09:47:45 AM »

I just purchased the wards fans  :'(
Well I also have a heat deflector under the seat that keeps my leg protected from the PITA left pipe (Rinehart true duals, came with the bike not my choice).
The UltraCool or the biggest Jaggs certainly have higher heat rejection than the stock oil cooler, how much no idea the specifications are not published like industrial heat exchangers to the best of my knowledge.

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2014, 09:54:42 AM »

I'm kind of intrigued with checking out the Baker Drivetrain 1.5 oil pan as a step in reducing engine heat. Anybody install one that can offer any comments?

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2014, 10:22:19 AM »

Consider that the oil, once heated will be the same as with less oil. With more oil it will take longer and more heat rejection to lower the temperature. Only upside and certainly not justification to buy one is it will take longer to heat up.

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2014, 10:23:11 AM »

I have the 1.5 Baker pan. Seems like it does something. With the Ultra Cool Reefer, Full exhaust, and Dino tune my bike never starts running on one cylinder in heavy traffic any more. So for sure it's running cooler based om that. The fan on the cooler comes on a 220, and if off as soon I start moving.  One thing I love with the 1.5 It now takes 5 quarts of oil when changing instead of the 3.5 before. More oil means better protection for a longer period of time. 
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2014, 10:30:56 AM »

Too many changes at one time to really quantify the result. Basic thermodynamics says otherwise and the heat rejection of your very efficient cooler is likely the achilles heal so to speak here. You are correct in one sense about longer oil life, extending intervals, but few will do that. In theory you could extend the change interval from 5k to 7.5k miles.

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2014, 10:19:23 PM »

Both interesting replies on the Baker oil pan - something to think about and evaluate. Thanks...

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2014, 10:21:41 PM »

Well!!!There you go!!! Science!!!!101.LOL

Just trying to talk about the problems I see day in and day out.  Buying another add on part might be a good deal, but I will first optimize the parts I have already bought.

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2014, 11:51:16 PM »

Well, my quest is to make this bike last along time.  I am working on getting a dyno tune but I know I am going to be in a lot of slow traffic latter in about a week and if I don't do the cooler my oil is going to breakdown. I rode a 2010 for 5 days, temps all the way up to 112* across the Mohave desert.  The only time I had really heat issue was in Vegas traffic. It was not a tune isse it was an air flow and oil cooler issue.  I am not talkin about radiant heat I am referring to heat where the engine sounded like it was going to seize.  Motor was very hot but the oil temp was way out off control but only when I was moving slowly. The weather and pavement was so hot most days air temp thermometer on the Ultraglide was at over a little above 120. The news said it never go over 112 in Vegas.  The motor ran very well until the oil temp got ultra hot,hence the cooler.

I am presently installing the ultra cool and will report what the result is.  I am taking pics along the was of how the install goes.   Sturgis traffic will be the true test. 
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2014, 01:29:43 AM »

Anybody know if the Ultra Cool will work without any modifications on the new twin-cooled engines? Obviously it can't mount where the water pump and thermostat is so I was curious if it can be mounted above that on the downtubes?
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2014, 02:11:44 AM »

Phantom,

With the mounting brackets designed the way they are, and the size, there's no way the Jagg or the UltraCool will mount between the down tubes of the frame.  And even if the oil cooler could fit, the depth of the radiator with the fan is going to put it in contact with the front fender or the front cylinder.  It's substantially bigger than the stock cooler.

Jagg and UltraCool will have to totally redesign their oil coolers for the new dual cooled Harleys.  Maybe some enterprising vendor on this forum could come up with a new mounting set up.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 02:17:35 AM by lilcoot »

HDGearHead

• Full CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • CVO2: 2007 FLSTN
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2014, 11:43:16 AM »

IMHO the best cooler in every measurable way (other than cost) is the Oil Bud. http://www.harleyoilcoolers.com/

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2014, 05:10:07 PM »

IMHO the best cooler in every measurable way (other than cost) is the Oil Bud. http://www.harleyoilcoolers.com/

And its the only cooler that will work on the new water cooled system.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2014, 06:04:08 PM »

Wait a little bit there will be more ;D
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 22 queries.