Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Anyone try the Antennae eliminator?  (Read 3518 times)

Studog127

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

Anyone try the Antennae eliminator?
« on: September 14, 2014, 09:43:21 PM »

Anybody try the antennae eliminator from Harley.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
Re: Anyone try the Antennae eliminator?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 07:21:32 AM »

I haven't tried it.  I was going to but heard from other riders that the HD hidden antenna that goes into the front fairing had poor reception so I decided against it.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

SEsupply2

• Senior CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 08:18:19 AM »

I've got the 'powered' J&M hidden antenna but it isnt much better, going back to stock.
2018 FLTRXSE
Fullsac MX pipe and S&S MK45's
Corbin dual touring seat
SOUNDZ Amp, Iron 65 & Iron 57 speakers
HD king tourpak w/chopped backrest
Metalsport luggage rack
JH Choppers floorboards
Freedom windshield 13"
Ciro3d cupholders
Ohlins 159 shocks
Avon grips/pegs

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 09:06:33 AM »

Anybody try the antennae eliminator from Harley.

Never heard of an antenna eliminator.  Are you talking about the hidden antenna you can mount inside the fairing?  If so, you will find many varied opinions about how well hidden antennas work.  If you live in a big city with plenty of strong radio signals, you might get decent reception.  If you ride out in the country you may get reception reminiscent of having no antenna installed at all (lousy).

This is my take on the question: If you're looking for the best reception, stick with a real external antenna.  If you just want the bike to look "cool", and don't care about actual reception, then install one of the hidden antennas.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 09:10:57 AM »

I know of several here that have used Tune Trapper hidden antennas, but I tried it and it was not all that great in my application.

I ended up with a powered Biketronics Hogtenna.

Before installation, I did a radio scan and in my garage received 22 stations that would come in.  It's been quite some time, about 5 years since I installed my Hogtenna, but as I remember after installation the scan brought up 17 or 18 stations.

This worked very well for me and still does, I just don't listen much to radio anymore since I installed my iPod module.

I mounted mine up under the top of the front non-removable portion of my fairing with double stick tape and never looked back.

Good luck with your choice.

P.S.

I just saw Jerry's reply; he beat me to the Post button.

Just an update on rural areas prior to my iPod module installation, my Hogtenna worked very well out away from the city.  I've been at least 150 miles from the big cities and still got good reception.  Jerry is right, a "real" antenna tuned to the FM frequency is the best, but in the process of my installation I did try the Tune Trapper and also several other non and powered hidden antennas and the Biketronics Hogtenna was by far the best, in my application and opinion.  Your setup may be different just like the Tune Trapper didn't work well or me, the Hogtenna may not be best for you.

Again, good luck.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 09:24:01 AM by Dan_Lockwood »
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 09:21:48 AM »

I know of several here that have used Tune Trapper hidden antennas, but I tried it and it was not all that great in my application.

I ended up with a powered Biketronics Hogtenna.

Before installation, I did a radio scan and in my garage received 22 stations that would come in.  It's been quite some time, about 5 years since I installed my Hogtenna, but as I remember after installation the scan brought up 17 or 18 stations.

This worked very well for me and still does, I just don't listen much to radio anymore since I installed my iPod module.

I mounted mine up under the top of the front non-removable portion of my fairing with double stick tape and never looked back.

Good luck with your choice.

I have the tune trapper. Absolutely worthless...

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

ultrarider123

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 10:27:21 AM »

Was talked into the HD hidden antenna by dealer.  Got a deal on it (think I paid $50 including the installation) to try it.  They had my faring off for service so why not.  I asked them to keep all the stock "plumbing" in place just in case I didn't like the "hide-a-tenna".
Glad I kept the factory stuff in place.  Whether in town or at home, the reception was not good no matter where I was.  I listen to BBN radio in the morning heading into work and a news/talk station on the way home in the afternoon.  The BBN station antenna is across one and most of another county from the house.  Factory antenna pulls it in decently, hidden was static.  Same goes for the new talk radio station (although their antenna is a bit closer to home).  It does clean up the scooter moving the antenna but not enough to do without my radio stations.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 12:44:49 PM »

I have the HD hidden antenna....wouldn't do that again....Tune trapper wasn't any better also

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 01:03:03 PM »

I have the HD hidden antenna....wouldn't do that again....Tune trapper wasn't any better also

They should change the name to Tune "Crapper"

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 01:26:38 PM »

HD Hidden Antenna SUCK  !!!!!
DND

Studog127

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 04:00:42 PM »

Thanks for all your input. I think I'll stick with the original eye pokers.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 12:51:22 PM »

Thanks for all your input. I think I'll stick with the original eye pokers.

Wow, one vote for and a zillion against!!! 

Although no one else said anything about the Biketronics Hogtenna model, so I don't have to eat my words quite yet.

In my case with a '09 SERG and chopped Tourpak, as well as others with a SESG and added chopped Tourpaks, it's a must to go hidden or just add a fixed antenna to the chopped box.  But then when you take the Tourpak off you have nothing.

I'm happy about my choice, but I did keep all the original takeoff items.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 02:02:51 PM »

Good input all around - thanks everyone. I was considering this mod as well if I ever needed to strip down the fairing, but it appears better to do nothing and save the money. I know eGlide Goodies offers a fairing antenna as well I was checking into. May just go with the shorty antenna's - anyone know of issues with these?

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 09:32:29 PM »

I tried every short antenna I could find on my SEEG and SERG and the best was from a early '90s Nissan Z. They are about 5 inches tall, correct thread for the Harley base, will fit under a chopped tourpak on the bracket that originally mounted the tall antenna on the SERG and work very good.
I got mine off a total loss car at You-pull-it for free but I would assume you can still get one @ Nissan.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 09:45:40 PM »

I tried every short antenna I could find on my SEEG and SERG and the best was from a early '90s Nissan Z. They are about 5 inches tall, correct thread for the Harley base, will fit under a chopped tourpak on the bracket that originally mounted the tall antenna on the SERG and work very good.
I got mine off a total loss car at You-pull-it for free but I would assume you can still get one @ Nissan.
That, I do believe is the best solution yet. I've tried 4 different 'in the faring' antennae...none of which has given anything near usable reception.
Will be calling some auto-wreckers tomorrow!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 20 queries.